Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Dear Tharg,

It has come to my attention that certain similarities exist between the Cursed Earth Maurader Scabby Hayes and the talented jazzman Tubby Hayes.  Are they, by any chance, related?

Yours,
Edna Scrotes, Aged 12

Tubby

Scabby

Theblazeuk

Quote from: sauchie on 11 April, 2013, 09:02:15 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 11 April, 2013, 09:30:06 AM
I didn't realise, as a child, that the a-bombing of Berlin was just something that happened in Zenith's universe.  I thought it really happened.
Do you remember Tharg's snotty reply to the guy who wrote in at that time to point out that only two nuclear devices were dropped on civilian populations during WWII, and that neither of them detonated over Berlin? Way to patronise a readership who grew up in a culture of war comics which at least gestured towards historical and technical accuracy.

I know this is old, but to be fair Britain and Germany didn't (to my knowledge) deploy superhuman soldiers bred via knowledge from evil gods from a closed timeloop either.

JayzusB.Christ

Could be twaddle, now, but did Hester Hyman's surname have some kind of metaphorical significance?  Her death bringing the mature world of politics to Dredd - breaking the, er, Hyman to signify the city's growing up, etc.  Or am I talking a load of gubbins?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Theblazeuk

Until some creep stole it? Call a judge citizen!

Frank

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 24 September, 2013, 07:59:00 AM
Could be twaddle, now, but did Hester Hyman's surname have some kind of metaphorical significance?  Her death bringing the mature world of politics to Dredd - breaking the, er, Hyman to signify the city's growing up, etc.  Or am I talking a load of gubbins?

I thought it was alluding to the idea of blood being shed - even though the spelling's different (Hyman/hymen) - but your version's more poetic. Hymen (capital H) was part of the Greek pantheon; associated with the siege of Troy, disguised himself under a hood to infiltrate and resist those who were holding his loved ones captive ... and that's about as much as I know about that. Except that he wears a jaggy bunnet and carries a torch - kinda like a symbol.

Proudhuff

That synth noise during Pop Master, makes the words...

DDT did a job on me

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sauchie on 24 September, 2013, 07:11:07 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 24 September, 2013, 07:59:00 AM

I thought it was alluding to the idea of blood being shed - even though the spelling's different (Hyman/hymen) - but your version's more poetic. Hymen (capital H) was part of the Greek pantheon; associated with the siege of Troy, disguised himself under a hood to infiltrate and resist those who were holding his loved ones captive ... and that's about as much as I know about that. Except that he wears a jaggy bunnet and carries a torch - kinda like a symbol.

Ah, I see! You make a lot of sense, as always, and this seems to hold more water than my theory. I didn't know Hymen was a character from mythology.  I love this board!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Frank

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 25 September, 2013, 05:07:26 PM
this seems to hold more water than my theory.

No, I think there's a lot of mileage in thinking of that incident as a loss of innocence - that's certainly the effect it had on readers' perceptions of the role of the judges and Dredd as a character. That makes it all the more difficult to get your head round Alan Grant's claim that the story was originally about nudism.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sauchie on 25 September, 2013, 05:18:21 PMThat makes it all the more difficult to get your head round Alan Grant's claim that the story was originally about nudism.

Yeah, it was a weird one, that. If it was true, it's odd to think that editorial censorship led to what was then the most grown-up Dredd storyline to date.  Have to admit I hated the Democracy stuff at the time, but I was only 11 at the time.  I later realised it was the best bit of Dreddness that had ever been published.

Spikes

Quote from: Proudhuff on 24 September, 2013, 07:29:28 PM
That synth noise during Pop Master, makes the words...

Yes it does. That '3 in 10' is a right bitch, isnt it. Never manage that part.

A.Cow

Just re-reading part 1 of The Life & Death of Johnny Alpha and noticed that the reporter is a mutant.  Then I realised what her mutation is... she has 3 breasts! How did I miss that first time round?

judgerufian

Quote from: A.Cow on 05 November, 2013, 11:21:55 PM
Just re-reading part 1 of The Life & Death of Johnny Alpha and noticed that the reporter is a mutant.  Then I realised what her mutation is... she has 3 breasts! How did I miss that first time round?

It was subtle, noticed it on the second prog she was in....or did I have Total Recall?  ;)

Dash Decent

Some of the guys on another thread just worked out what a fetish is...  ::)

Though having said that, I can remember being in high school and finding out my brother thought a gazebo was some kind of animal!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dash Decent on 15 November, 2013, 04:10:59 PM
Some of the guys on another thread just worked out what a fetish is...  ::)

Though having said that, I can remember being in high school and finding out my brother thought a gazebo was some kind of animal!

Which thread?  Also, it was that Devlin Waugh / Dredd story that taught me what the original meaning of 'fetish' was.

Anyway, Thrill - power - a play on willpower?  It just occurred to be the other day