Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Decent gag that, but who is the artist?  Craddock on colours, sure, but I can't figure out the linework...

I was long gone by then, mind.

radiator

TordelBack

Quote from: radiator on 10 March, 2014, 08:23:18 AM
I would guess Lee Sullivan.

Maybe, but I'm not sure.  And now I realise I should just have looked it up (such a child of the 20th C, me):

Barney says "G. Stoddart, other artists also involved".  Huh, who he/she/they?  More googling suggests maybe Graham Stoddart of FQP/Dogbreath fame?

glassstanley

Here's one that's still going over my head. Not because of a double-meaning, but because it's only ever been printed and not said out loud. Did the Sovs have Strato-'vees' or Strato-'fives'?

ming

I always assumed 'Strato-vee' due to the V-shape of the craft...

TordelBack

Quote from: glassstanley on 16 March, 2014, 02:39:45 PM
Did the Sovs have Strato-'vees' or Strato-'fives'?

Either way, they were certainly things that went over your head.

I suspect Ming is correct, and this thinking can also be applied to Kim Raymond's H-Wagons.  ;)

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 March, 2014, 08:43:45 AM
Barney says "G. Stoddart, other artists also involved".  Huh, who he/she/they?  More googling suggests maybe Graham Stoddart of FQP/Dogbreath fame?

Might be, but it's a very different style of art; Jack Covvella's is the other hand involved. The art on the strip has pleasant echoes of the great Steve Dillon's easy command of figure work and character, and the inking technique is similar too. There are some direct lifts from Dillon Rogue Trooper panels, and the uniform and bike are explicitly Dillon's too. Some panels go off the Dillon model, and the competency of the figure work and composition in these are much more shaky.

The art's what would have happened if it was Steve Who?, rather than Kenny, who had his style appropriated by the replicator machines of BIG1 comics:

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 March, 2014, 03:16:39 PM
Great question! And a great answer for anyone without a stubb gun.

I've alwayssaid vee but, now you've brought it up, it's hard to avoid the comparison with. The Saturn V which would've been known to any schoolboy.

A third interpretation might be that, like the AK47, it's named after its inventor : Sergei Stratov.
We never really die.

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Hap Hazzard

Quote from: ming on 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM
I'm thinking of stuff like Ro-Jaws and Hammerstein (Rogers & Hammerstein), the Slavers of Drule and all those other puns and references that drifted gracefully over my head as a kid...  (Some of 'em still do.)

Anyway, I just spotted a 1949 Schlitz advert in a Grauniad New York photo gallery (http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/gallery/2012/jan/06/new-york-photography-in-pictures#/?picture=384053709&index=4) sporting the slogan: "The beer that made Milwaukee famous"...

I guess that's where the Dredd classic "The Fear that made Milwaukee famous" came from.  I live and learn!

Resyk pronunciation went completely over my head for 35 years until the Dredd movie put it onscreen. I was always mentally pronouncing it as "Reesk".  I was like "OH! Re-cyc!" out loud in the first showing. Not a proud moment unveiling my own dumbassery for so long.

That's just, like, uh, your opinion, man.

Frank

Bent N/Ben 10 ... no? Look, it's really clever - the N of the logo is actually bent.

glassstanley

Quote from: The Cosh on 16 March, 2014, 04:04:45 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 16 March, 2014, 03:16:39 PM
Great question! And a great answer for anyone without a stubb gun.

I've alwayssaid vee but, now you've brought it up, it's hard to avoid the comparison with. The Saturn V which would've been known to any schoolboy.

A third interpretation might be that, like the AK47, it's named after its inventor : Sergei Stratov.

A listen to the BBC's Apocalypse War suggests it probably is 'Vee', but has now thrown up 'Sove' for Sov, when I have always pronounced the 'o' as in 'dog'. Oh, the challenges of life :)

Theblazeuk

Its definitely Sovv rather than Sove.... definitely. Definitely I tell you!

JayzusB.Christ

Isn't the first syllable of 'Soviet' pronounced 'Sovv'? 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Frank

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 19 March, 2014, 04:14:27 PM
Isn't the first syllable of 'Soviet' pronounced 'Sovv'?

Aye, but not if you're American.