Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Magnetica on 03 February, 2018, 07:15:11 PM
Just watched Mad Max Fury Road on Netflix.

I'll be honest — although I own this on DVD, I haven't watched it since I saw it at the cinema because I suspect it's a film that really needs to be seen on the biggest damn screen with the loudest damn sound system you can find.

That flare goes out at the end of the sandstorm sequence... I saw it twice in the cinema and both times I only realised I was gripping the arm-rests on my seat when I let go at that point. It's a film designed to overwhelm you and I think it needs to fill your eyes and ears to work properly.

It's a remarkable movie, but I think, more than any film other than Dunkirk, it's one you kind of have to see at the cinema.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 03 February, 2018, 08:15:33 PM
[Mad Max Fury Road ...

It's a remarkable movie, but I think, more than any film other than Dunkirk, it's one you kind of have to see at the cinema.

I get that, I understand the fear but by the heavens get it watched again Mr Campbell its still absolutely magnificent on the small screen and in some ways (well some small ways) better, its not a mind=blowingly exhilerating and as such I notice so much more each time I watch it as its not quite as visceral as it is in the cinema.

Mind speaking of films that should bee seen at the cinema watch Coco with the kids today and my the heavens that ones a visual treat. The stuff in the land of the land is quite breath-taking especially the spirit guides as they cut in sharp contrast, by the heavens (or hell or whatever afterlife it is) its a marvel to look at. Helped by a fine, moving story cut with humour but driven by humanity.

Jez its a golden age to be a parent drive to see 'kids' films on the big screen, so many are so good and this one ranks amongst the best.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 03 February, 2018, 09:11:41 PM
Mind speaking of films that should bee seen at the cinema watch Coco with the kids today and my the heavens that ones a visual treat.

Next weekend, with a bit of luck...

And I have taken your words to heart. I shall finish reading my glorious Art of Fury Road book, and then get it watched again!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Magnetica

Yes I did wonder how much was lost my watching it on TV.

IndigoPrime

Just watched the Kingsman sequel. If you enjoyed he original, avoid the follow up. It's horrible. I mean that in every sense. To elaborate: it's [spoiler]full of cheap deaths[/spoiler], is relentlessly gory, and is utterly mean-spirited. The original felt like an amusing – if confused (notably politically) take on spy films. This one just felt like someone took a shit on your telly when you were watching it. The £1.47 I just paid Amazon to rent it was precisely £1.47 too much.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 29 January, 2018, 10:10:19 AM

Went to see Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri last night and absolutely loved it. It's properly laugh-out-loud funny throughout but also emotionally gripping as a drama, the writing is fantastic and the performances are amazing across the board. I couldn't get over how well it manages that one-two punch of hitting you in the feels hard and then getting a laugh out of you moments later. Brilliant film.

Caught this at the Hebden Picture House last night - agree wholeheartedly. Everyone else seemed to like it too and my wife started a small round of applause at the end, much to her delight. Could not predict where it was going at all

Professor Bear

Moon Zero Two - Hammer did a proper sci-fi film?  Obviously I was going to watch this, and I'm glad I did even if I don't know what to make of it, from the proprietary theme tune by Julie Driscol to the hilariously over-the-hill protagonist and his magnificently receding hairline to the daffy mix of western tropes and Gerry Anderson-level production design and FX - the cast even includes Catherine "Maya" Schell - this is a bit of an oddity, coming on the heels of 2001 and Planet of the Apes, it mixes the former's attention to the mechanics of space exploration and the latter's full-throttle commitment to its schtick no matter what basic flaws can be poked in any of it.
It will surprise you to discover that to a modern viewing, this film about a billionaire's plan to do a land-grab from a prospector on the moon and which was made in 1968 by Hammer is very very goofy, the presence of Bernard Bresslaw in a straight role being but the least of its barriers to being taken seriously, but its predictions about the corporate takeover of space exploration have turned out to be sadly bang-on, and what little achievements man manage in the story - ie: colonising Luna - currently seem wildly optimistic.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professor Bear on 04 February, 2018, 09:29:53 PM
Moon Zero Two - Hammer did a proper sci-fi film?  Obviously I was going to watch this, and I'm glad I did even if I don't know what to make of it, from the proprietary theme tune by Julie Driscol

And don't forget, a proper animated intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f-ULb1AvG0

JamesC

Equilibrium

A bit naff but really good fun. It looks its age and is a bit inconsistent with its rules but it's really watchable. The gun-kata and sword fights are pretty well done.

Ghost in the Shell (2017)

Utterly boring so I turned it off before the end. It looked really ugly which surprised me and the characters were all dull as fuck which didn't tbh.

Keef Monkey

Watched Louis Theroux's My Scientology Movie at the weekend and while it was really enjoyable it's frustrating that he got so little actual access, so the end result is I don't feel like I learned anything new about the whole thing. The recreations of the audits and sessions were the most interesting part probably, and more than ever it's clear watching it just how much of a cult the whole thing is, but I couldn't help but feel that the ex-member he was mainly getting his info from was a bit of an unreliable narrator. I mean, there's no question from the way they behave in the movie that they're mental, but he seemed too close to it all, and when they're recreating some of the more abusive stuff he seems to be oddly relishing it in a way that made me think he was just too tied up in it all to be the balanced viewpoint that Theroux probably needed to make the film work.

It's also a really weird set-up for a documentary, but I guess the lack of access would have been frustrating to Theroux and his team too and that they made the best of what they could get. Hands down I still think the oddest thing about the church is the secrecy. It's bizarre to think there's a religion which is so aggressively opposed to the outside world having any insight into their practices, you'd imagine that taking part in documentaries would be seen as a great opportunity to set the record straight or even draw more people into the church.

That is, unless they're just lunatics and are up to no good, which is the impression they seem to almost actively pursue.

An interesting film, but a frustrating one.

Then we rewatched Resident Evil: The Final Chapter, because my missus was glum and I thought a slick-but-dumb action flick would cheer her up. Did the trick! I stand by those movies as good popcorn fodder if you just want something a but cheesy and fun. Plus Milla jumping about in 4K kicking and shooting her way through the hordes is a wonderful thing. Incidentally the Atmos track on this was one of the best I've heard, the mix is fantastic.

Colin YNWA

I missed Kong of Skull Island at the cinema and I'm gutted 'cos having just watched it on DVD I can only begin to imagine what a treat it would have been in the big screen.

I have no idea why as its absolute huckum and nonsense, but by gosh I've not seen hockum and nonsense done with such a sense of fun for a long time and the fact that it takes itself seriously strangely works in showing how it doesn't take itself seriously.

By George I should hate this movie but by George I loved it!

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 02 April, 2017, 01:32:14 PM
Watched Young Offenders for the second time in a month with my family yesterday and they loved it. Really can't recommend it higher - gets the mix of melodrama and hilarity just right.

You might be pleasantly surprised to see that there is a TV series starting this coming Friday night on BBC (first episode already up on iPlayer)
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 05 February, 2018, 02:57:58 PM
I missed Kong of Skull Island at the cinema and I'm gutted 'cos having just watched it on DVD I can only begin to imagine what a treat it would have been in the big screen.

I have no idea why as its absolute huckum and nonsense, but by gosh I've not seen hockum and nonsense done with such a sense of fun for a long time and the fact that it takes itself seriously strangely works in showing how it doesn't take itself seriously.

By George I should hate this movie but by George I loved it!

I saw it on the big screen and my little 10x4 screen at home and it's still fun shit.

von Boom

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 03 February, 2018, 10:47:05 PM
Just watched the Kingsman sequel. If you enjoyed he original, avoid the follow up. It's horrible. I mean that in every sense. To elaborate: it's [spoiler]full of cheap deaths[/spoiler], is relentlessly gory, and is utterly mean-spirited. The original felt like an amusing – if confused (notably politically) take on spy films. This one just felt like someone took a shit on your telly when you were watching it. The £1.47 I just paid Amazon to rent it was precisely £1.47 too much.

Cheers for this. I almost rented it yesterday, but I guess I should be thankful I didn't.

TordelBack

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 05 February, 2018, 06:12:55 PM
I saw it on the big screen and my little 10x4 screen at home and it's still fun shit.

Can confirm.  It's outrageously enjoyable on any screen.  So many talented people having so much fun with a dumb idea is hard to ignore, whatever size they are.