Main Menu

Nostalgia TV

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 11 March, 2024, 02:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Last night's YouTube nostalgia watch was Cracker; specifically the episodes where Robert Carlyle is Albie the homicidal Hillsborough survivor.  Between Carlyle and Coltrane, here were two Scottish actors at the very top of their game. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

Two Scottish Roberts, now I think of it.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

nxylas

As opposed to the Bogie Man TV movie, which sees Coltrane at the very bottom of his game.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

JayzusB.Christ

Yep, I was thinking of that alright. Great actor, awful script.

The Legendary Shark

Speaking of nostalgia, I've just gone through Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World for the first time since it originally aired in 1980. It's crammed full of lovable crackpots and has a wide-eyed awe of Computers, with not a single mobile 'phone or web page in sight. Some of the interviews are ripe for satire, for example three Irish priests in a rowing boat recounting their brush with a lake monster has Father Ted written all over it. (And some of the retrospectively ill-advised scenes of Uncle Arthur and young Sri Lankan boys seem to have something else entirely written all over them.) 

It's sometimes hard to believe that the world I grew up in looked like that.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]