Main Menu

Meltdown Man

Started by Jezza, 07 March, 2002, 05:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jezza

Can somebody tell me what Meltdown Man was all about?!!

I've been trying to get hold of this story which appeared in 2000AD when I was about 10 - I used to just admire the artwork then.  Having got back into 2000AD I'm driven by a need to know the plot.  Can someone help me out????  A brief summary of the story would be nice.  
Thanks.  
Jezza.

Leigh S

Nick Stone is an SAS operative who finds himself caught at the centre of a terrorists nuclear explosion.  Instead of being fried, he is hurled into another world, where humans have genetically modified animal/human hybrids called Yujees to do all their dirty work.  Nick Stone finds himself leading a Yujee revolution and >>>spoiler alert<<< discovers that the planet is the Earth of the future (although the magnetic poles have reversed, causing a worldwide disaster).  Thats as much as I can remember from the top of my head.

O Lucky Stevie!

nothing as elegant as a reversal of the maganetic poles, watcher: the earth was unfeasibly tipped over on its axis by the collison of a large asteroid into antarctica (disaster 1990, anyone?).

anyway, nick stone is finally returned to the present day by the expolsion of a still functional cruise missile, materialising strangely enough in the same locale that everybody finds themselves after 'being john malkovich'.

i wish that i was making this stuff up.

all sumptuously illustrated by bernadenelli.

running at the same time in the progs was another favourite of mine: the equally gorgeously drawn return to armageddon. jesus redondo's line work was a joy to behold; i was immediately taken by his spaceship & costume designs. however, even as a child i felt cheated by the cop-out adam & eve ending.

i've wet my knickers!
steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Tron

Return to Armaggedon! I had completely forgotten that gem!

Mudcrab

Racism, genetics, animal rights are all pretty well covered. Perhaps a large dose of Orwellian farm antics too to a point. The plot's pretty much covered by the other posts but that's how I've seen it. It was one of my all time favourites from back then, with Belardinelli at his best I think. I remember being well scared by the *SPOILER ALERT*...

huge butcher thing illusion type rock. Remember that? Looking back, the bad guys were almost from Robin Hood (yes the Disney one I'm afraid). At least there was a human bad guy and a mutant snake, much like er, wotsisname in Robin Hood. What was the snakes name again? Yeah, both of them. Anyhoo, the Meltdown Man snake was far nastier.  
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

zippy

Just had to say that this was the time when I first started reading 2000AD and got me totally hooked. The original Mean Team was brilliant as well at this time with Steve Dillion's artwork.

Mudcrab

Mean Arena that was, not Mean Team, that was a later Belardinelli thing which wasn't so great as far as I remember.

Matt Tallon, what a guy!!

'MON THE SLAYERS!!!
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

zippy

Knew I had got it wrong as soon as I sent the message.  Why were those old stories so good, cause we didn't expect much or cause they let the stories run over so many weeks that you got to know the characters and so they didn't have to kill off the whole supporting cast in less than 4 issues.