Main Menu

The Writers' Block

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 November, 2014, 09:26:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

That's absolutely fine, Hipps - this is one of the things I wanted this thread to be for. I've also sent you a friend request on Facebox so I can share your ads.

Conceptulist, I'd say you have to have to strike a balance. If you're too cryptic your readers won't get it and if you're too obvious they'll get bored. Not very helpful, I know, but I don't think there's a formula for this.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

hippynumber1

Cheers Sharky! Just added you on The Facebook; welcome aboard.

As far as Conceptualist's question goes, I'd tend to go even more minimalist. If two male characters have known each other for twenty years and you want to convey that, have them hug on meeting. Few men hug who don't know each other well.

Conceptulist

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 23 December, 2015, 08:38:34 PM
Cheers Sharky! Just added you on The Facebook; welcome aboard.

As far as Conceptualist's question goes, I'd tend to go even more minimalist. If two male characters have known each other for twenty years and you want to convey that, have them hug on meeting. Few men hug who don't know each other well.
That's a brilliant idea. Displaying unknown information through action could lead to ambiguity and hence, a deeper subplot if used in a specific manner.
'Beasts and ghouls have always plagued our nightmares, but it is our own insecurities and failures that truly horrify us.'

Conceptulist

This is my last question: Do you know of any way to create unique symbols that could be used as text? I only ask because I'm planning to write a story containing an alien that speaks in an unknown language, and I wanted to create unique symbols to make the language feel more alien.
'Beasts and ghouls have always plagued our nightmares, but it is our own insecurities and failures that truly horrify us.'

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Conceptulist on 30 December, 2015, 12:54:39 AM
This is my last question: Do you know of any way to create unique symbols that could be used as text? I only ask because I'm planning to write a story containing an alien that speaks in an unknown language, and I wanted to create unique symbols to make the language feel more alien.

Comic script or prose? If it's a comic script, just put 'Alien Symbols' as the dialogue instruction and your letterer will deploy one of several alien symbol dialogue fonts available to them.

If you're writing prose, using a different font will likely just look gimmicky — just phoneticise your alien language and write it as normal dialogue.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Conceptulist

Thank you. I was concerned that leaving the alien letters to the letterer might peeve the mighty Tharg (try saying that 10 times over).

hippynumber1

Turns out that writing the 'blurb' is a damn sight harder than writing the novel! How to tell the reader enough to hook them in without giving anything away. Nightmare!

The Legendary Shark

You're welcome. Good luck!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

hippynumber1

That second one pretty much wrote the blurb for me! Nice one!  ;)

Hawkmumbler

Can I just say Sharky, working on my first fan fic this thread has been a godsend. Sure a lot of the links might not have been used but for a first attempt I feel reading them after I wrote the first draft was a big help.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lit or Lighted?

Pled or Pleaded?
Lock up your spoons!

Dandontdare

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 01 March, 2016, 06:11:21 PM
Can I just say Sharky, working on my first fan fic this thread has been a godsend. Sure a lot of the links might not have been used but for a first attempt I feel reading them after I wrote the first draft was a big help.

Glad it helped, Hawkie. There are few things as satisfying as writing your own stories. Welcome to the club - you're one of us, now, one of uuuuuuusssss... :)
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]