Main Menu

Apocalypse War vs Day of Chaos - Dredd Epics Ranked - Better! Quarter Final 4

Started by Colin YNWA, 08 April, 2021, 06:38:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Okay so instead of my normal blather I'll intro this one with some logistics. Quarter finals. I've matched pairings by taking the highest Seed and putting it against the lowest Seed. One a day (with play-offs running along side) 3 days for these ones. Winners in the semis, losers into a play-off for positions 12-5... you're confused - look I'm running this thing and I'm hanging on by my fingernails too!

Seed 4 Apocalypse War (inc Block Mania) Progs 236-270

Vs

Seed 5 Day of Chaos Progs 1743-1789

Still with the simple purity of popping the name of the Epic you prefer in a reply to this thread (remember to mark it clearly so I can spot it - bold tags are good) and then say whatever the heck you like to about these two great stories.

We're 3 day votes for these ones so this one will close first thing in the morning Sunday 11th April - winner advance to the semis - loser goes into the 12th - 5th place playoff vote.

All links go through to AlexF's simply brilliant Dredd Epics Ranked blog. You may need to scroll to find his write up of a particular story - but I'd suggest just reading the whole thing anyway - it's fantastic stuff.

Baffled by what's going on here - well we have a a thread for that - though that might leave you more confused than anything.

Rules for what they are worth.

Not sure about anything just ask and I'll blag it.

broodblik

Mmmmm, decision time what will it be: destruction or destruction, dark sombre or dark sombre. For the total scope of it I will go for Day of Chaos
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Rogue Judge

Magnetica

Hmmm two stories of destruction of the city, the consequences of the first leading to the second. The second of which wrought even more destruction on the city, the consequences of which were then largely ignored.

Throw in Block Mania and I'm going with the Apocalypse War.

BPP

It's Brazil v Germany in the World Cup quarter finals. Madness.

What is wrong with you Colin.

Brazil tho innit.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Colin YNWA

Quote from: BPP on 08 April, 2021, 08:46:17 AM
What is wrong with you Colin.

I'm the ringleader in a circus of cruelty reaping revenge for the way 'The Cursed Earth' has been treated MAW-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Anyway wouldn't Necropolis Apocalypse war be Brazil vs Germany? And I think we avoid that in the semi's by my best guess anyway.

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Colin YNWA

Quote from: BPP on 08 April, 2021, 08:55:37 AM
Careful or we'll accuse you of a FIFA-esque Warm Balls scenario.

Leave my warm balls out of this.

Nah its all fixed... or should I say there's no random draws this time. So its highest seed vs lowest seed throughout to try to avoid top tier match-ups too early... and basically failing!

AlexF

Unquestionably the Apocalypse War. It may be a childish way of looking at stories, but I like it when the 'heroes' win, even if they have to sell their souls to do it. Day of Chaos ends in a victory of sorts - in that MC1 does, technically, survive, but it sure feels like a story about 'heroes' losing to villains. And yes, we can debate all day the merits of calling a fascist a hero, but he's surely better than the Sovs, at least as they are portrayed in the two stories in question.

The Corinthian

Apocalypse War, the first Dredd epic that feels like a fully conceived story rather than a series of linked episodes, the first Carlos epic and - coincidentally - the story running when I first became a regular reader of 2000AD.

Dr Feeley Good

The hardest one yet, absolutely Love the Apocalypse War but Day Of Chaos is my favourite modern day Dredd story by a mile, so Day Of Chaos it is...

Bolt-01

abelardsnazz

There would have been no DoC without AW, plus I'm docking a point for the appearance of the Dark Judges, a step too far in my view. For its world-destroying, game-changing, Carlos-returning hugeness, it has to be The Apocalypse War.