Main Menu

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)

Started by radiator, 02 August, 2012, 10:25:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

This is now, after Dredd of course, my most anticipated new movie. Really interested to see what they do with it...

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a396878/x-men-movie-sequel-name-revealed-as-days-of-future-past.html

Dandontdare

That's quite exciting - I reckon this is a storyline that would lend itself very well to movification, though they'll probably take liberties with the story and turn it into a more conventional scifi time travel plot. Definitely loking forward to this - bit of a shame that they killed three of the principal characters in the terrible X3

Goaty

radiator

As I understand it, they had to end it at film 3 because the cast had become so prohibitively expensive it wasn't viable to continue. Apparently the cast only signed on for two films, so they had to renegotiate contracts, making X Men The Last Stand the most expensive film ever made at the time. The only wa to continue the franchise was prequels or spin-offs.

Goaty

Oh it's based on this; not reading it before...

JOE SOAP

Hopefully they'll have a more ironed out script and less shitty characters unlike X-Men: First Draft.

radiator

First Class had it's problems - most of them can probably be attributed to the film feeling a little overstuffed due to Fox's insistence of tying up all the loose ends in case there were no sequels - but I thought overall it was mostly excellent - the equal of X2 in my book.

If you want a genuinely poor script and shitty characters, have a watch of Origins: Wolverine - a film so bad I couldn't even sit through it.

Oh, and I'm calling it now - there will be some sort of Avengers-style crossover/link between DoFP and The Wolverine.

Thinking about it, doing a time-travel storyline is potentially a very clever way of doing a Star Trek 2009 style timeline reboot on the X-Men franchise.

JOE SOAP

I think content control should be supervised by Marvel for all their original properties. By all means allow FOX/SONY the right to make them if they're putting the money in and reaping most of the profits but since these things seem to be spiralling story-wise it wouldn't be a bad idea have a control commitee based at Marvel studios or some kind of shared-ownership. These films aren't getting any cheaper, sharing the burden of cost and development with the possibility of cross-overs - has been mooted by Marvel - would be a lot easier.

Professor Bear

Radiator: The X-Men: Origins: Wolverine tie-in videogame already did a crossover with Days of Future past.  The story was better than the movie, too.

The problem with DoFP as a potential storyline is over-familiarity: "the cast dies off/the toys are wrecked/status quo is upset over the course of the storyline but it's okay because it's an alternate timeline or becomes one in the final act" plot is so utterly ubiquitous now that Stargate Universe - a series that thinks of its own viewers as little better than shit on its shoes - did that plot and didn't even bother resolving it within the episode, it just cut off before the final act where everything is revealed as an alternate timeline because even the viewers it hated knew how that bike of a storyline ended.  This plot has been the basis of no less than three Power Rangers episodes, one Dexter's Lab, two Buffys, has appeared at least once in every version of Star Trek (at least once a season in Voyager's case), Space Precinct, Batman: TAS, Justice League (several times, at least once crossing over with Batman Beyond), and even though that's a small fraction of the many times it's been used over the years (we'll be here all day if I tried to list them all), God knows how many times Futurama has eviscerated the plot to the point it's become impossible to take seriously (even the Futurama tie-in videogame storyline had a whizz on it).

And all that's before you even get to the cinematic legacy of this particular plot, not just in stuff like Terminator but as a final reel turn in comedies like Lost In Space and Galaxy Quest where it's just thrown in there like a nugget of corn-infused feces at the scripting wall just to fill - what?  Three whole minutes' worth of screen time?  I honestly cannot conceive of a single plot that is more unexciting as a potential storyline for a feature film.

JamesC

Yeah, but you get to see Old Wolverine and see Sentinels fucking things up.

Proudhuff

I'm looking foward to X-men: Days of Thunder!
DDT did a job on me

JOE SOAP

SmallBlueThing

Id pay to see X-Men: Days of Pearly Spencer.

SBT

judgeblake

Quote from: Goaty on 02 August, 2012, 02:04:10 PM
Oh it's based on this; not reading it before...

That reinterpreted cover is fantastic!
I really hope we see a grisly older Wolverine. Some had said the don't want the new films to be related to Bryan Singer's trilogy - but I say; if they can marry the two together by explaining the Singer films were another timeline, then that's fine with me  if they do it well.

Charlie boy

News that Stewart and McKellen have signed up to reprise their roles has been confirmed on the Marvel website.