Main Menu

You Can Take Away My Geek Card Because…

Started by Jim_Campbell, 21 October, 2015, 08:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceghost

Blade Runner is boring and ponderous, The Fifth Element is an eye, ear and mind fucking abomination, Preacher is an overrated, juvenile, vulgar pile of shite, as are all the comics I've read by Garth Ennis and Thor: The Dark World is brilliant.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Tiplodocus

Seeing good movie adaptions of my favourite comics and  books validates them in my eyes.

Re Terminator 2 and Aliens, I always get the impression that proper level 10 geeks cock a snoot at anyone who prefers these to the originals, though it is a popular opinion.

Oh and Predator is better than all of them.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Quote from: Spaceghost on 22 October, 2015, 08:58:59 AM
Preacher is an overrated, juvenile, vulgar pile of shite

With you there - although not about Garth's work in general. Profoundly disappointed by Preacher when I finally took the time to read the whole thing.

Spaceghost

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 22 October, 2015, 09:19:47 AM
Seeing good movie adaptions of my favourite comics and  books validates them in my eyes.

Re Terminator 2 and Aliens, I always get the impression that proper level 10 geeks cock a snoot at anyone who prefers these to the originals, though it is a popular opinion.

Oh and Predator is better than all of them.

I prefer T2 to the original. Aliens is a really good film but it's a really bad sequel to Alien.

The Legendary Shark

I'm not a fan of the modern iterations of Slaine or A.B.C. Warriors but I think Savage is fantastic.
Johnny Alpha should have stayed dead.
Predator II is at least as good as Predator.
Alien 3 is at least as good as Alien but Aliens is the best.
My secret shame is that... I would love to write a Captain Britain mini-series.
I think superheroes are cool.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 22 October, 2015, 09:42:10 AM

I like Predator 2 a lot. It has both a plot and a sub-plot, which is two whole plots more than the original.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 October, 2015, 09:43:52 AM

I like Predator 2 a lot. It has both a plot and a sub-plot, which is two whole plots more than the original.

Cheers!

Jim

Agreed. It's not just a good Predator film, it's a good film in and of itself in that I don't think you need to have seen the first to enjoy it. Also, it gave us that spooky phrase that still sometimes pops unbidden into my head as I cycle to work down deserted country roads at silly o'clock in the morning, "You don't see the eyes of the demon until him come callin'."

*shudders*
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

ThryllSeekyr

I'm not sure if my post was taken seriously or taken as wrong or that I don't understand this thread, because I think topic has gone over my head.

Unless somebody wants to say something...

Colin YNWA

Yeah you do get the feeling that these days liking superheroes is becoming very uncool amongst the self proclaimed nerd intelligentsia. Once us superhero fans where one of the bedrocks upon which nerdery was based, these days its as if we're becoming a marginalised group in a once marginalised larger group...

... mind would we have it any other way!

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 22 October, 2015, 10:03:59 AM
I'm not sure if my post was taken seriously or taken as wrong or that I don't understand this thread, because I think topic has gone over my head.

Unless somebody wants to say something...

It's the interweb, Thrylls, I don't think it's meant to be understood. Just go with it and pretend you know what you're talking about - that generally works for me.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 October, 2015, 09:43:52 AM

I love them both, but Predator 2 may just edge it for me - Bill Paxton's futuro-jacket and basically everything about King Willie and the Voodoo Posse being the sweeteners. Also, 1997 is still the future in my head.

Grugz

don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Professor Bear

New BSG was a "grim and gritty" update of a show about Space Moses and his monkey dog fighting men wrapped in Bacofoil that pretty much comprised of rehashing the same old plots we saw in any other sci-fi show of self-awareness and then filling the hole with some shit about sex robots that everyone pretended was really about terrorism because they didn't want to admit in public that their grown-up adult space opera was a show about sex robots.  Which it was.
Blech.

Ewoks - adult me can take or leave, but as a kid I recall getting on just fine with the Ewoks, be it in Jedi or their own movies.  I'm off to start a petition for a crossover movie with Willow and fuck all y'all.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Spaceghost

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 22 October, 2015, 10:06:24 AM

Yeah you do get the feeling that these days liking superheroes is becoming very uncool amongst the self proclaimed nerd intelligentsia. Once us superhero fans where one of the bedrocks upon which nerdery was based, these days its as if we're becoming a marginalised group in a once marginalised larger group...

... mind would we have it any other way!

I was just about to post that my utter contempt for super-hero comics is a reason I should have my geek card revoked.

Swings and roundabouts.