Main Menu

Dark Knight Strikes Again - The worst comic sequel ever?

Started by Thread Zero, 04 March, 2002, 03:01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thread Zero

I bought issue 2 of DK2 today. Thought Part 1 was mediocre but was prepared to give it a chance.

Gave up halfway through issue 2.

It's so awful, it's untrue!!!

Unstructured story (if you can call it a story), too many ideas going nowhere, terrible artwork (check out Miller's drawing of Wonder Woman!)...need I go on?

It's so sad that Miller has followed up the magnificent Dark Knight Returns with this absolute rubbish.

If I didn't know better, I would say he was taking the piss!

I'd give it 0 out of 10.

Frank Miller and DC, shame forever on you.

scojo

Thread Zero

What made Dark Knight Returns so great and a success, was its dark introspection. It presented a Batman who was haunted by his demons. It showed a nightmare world out of control.

DK2 is just superheroes fighting each other. Boring. Batman isn't even the main character anymore.

Miller wasted a golden opportunity to continue Batman as a dark vigilante. He could have written a new classic tale which embraced the themes of the 21st century.

Instead we get a cynical hackneyed story. Shame really.

scojo

nathan

Hey I like the way he draws Wonder Woman. Those cycling shorts are pretty damn saucy.

AND I like Lynn Varley's computer colouring.

I did feel a bit sorry for Superman though, at least I did until Wonder Woman came along and cheered him up.

I don't really see it as a direct sequel to The Dark Knight Returns, it's more like Elektra lives Again was to Elektra:Assassin. I'm looking forward to part three, it's been fun and I'm glad Miller hasn't taken it too seriously.

N

Thread Zero

Yeah, but surely it is a sequel?

That's why I bought it.

If I knew it was gonna be some superhero team up sort of thing, I wouldn't have bothered in the first place.

scojo feeling cheated

Fortysixter

I liked it, the artwork was even more confused than the original dark knight comics, but you can't fault the story...as for it being a team up, its a strategy, they bring in characters that are experiencing some downturns in fortunes (sales wise), develop interest in them, and then re-launch them in their own titles...wait for new Atom, Question etc, and they have just relaunched Green Arrow  !!!! I'm personally holding out for hard core wonderwoman !

Thread Zero

Yeah but it's not the Dark Knight as shown in the original series, is it?

This could be any old Batman comic.

That's my point.

scojo