Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sintec

We're getting, what 75% of the Ace Trucking run in the collection? (based on 2 * 250 page vols and the 660 page count of the 2 previous collections). 
Hopefully they'll focus on the early-mid period and drop some of the later stories if those aren't as good.

Also - yes book 9 of Nemesis was a bit of a weird one.  Going to have to give it a re-read at some point but on a first reading it didn't really do it for me.  It just seemed a bit of a confused mess.  Whilst the art looked great I don't think it did the story any favours.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 12 May, 2018, 04:07:14 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 12 May, 2018, 03:17:07 PMWhy this strip isn't on every 10 Comics You Must Read lists, snuggling up between Palomar and Tintin, instead of struggling to find a reprint audience, is beyond comprehension.
My guess: he's Russian, and most of these lists are written by Americans. That said, it's a pity Dante doesn't seem to be more read in Europe.

All of this. Its astonishes the strip isn't more lauded - outside 2000ad fandom that is - and it be that the 'elevator' pitch for it doesn't fly in some countries, nor its creators, while successful, not at a level that will drive massive interest. I do wonder why its not picked up more in Europe but that's always been a mystery to me for any number of 2000ad stories.

Jim_Campbell

No argument here. Dante is a magnificent multi-year epic that should sit high in not only 2000AD's hall of fame, but that of the medium as a whole. There are several key moments that deserve to rank up with anything you'll find and the [spoiler]Konstantin/"Heroes be damned" moment[/spoiler] is, for me, literally as good as comics get.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

rs_jr

Hi,

So which series are getting a complete print? Nikolai Dante, Slaine and Nemesis?
Is Strontium dog, ABC warriors and Sinister Dexter being completely printed ?

Thanks guys

Steve Green

Nikolai - yes
Slaine - unknown
Nemesis - probably
Strontium Dog - no, no Starlord episodes plus the series is still running, so can't be complete anyway.
ABC Warriors - again, it's still running.

Dark Jimbo

Nikolai Dante - Yes
Slaine - Probably - but it is still running
Nemesis - probably
Strontium Dog - No Starlord episodes; no Tax Dodge or Roadhouse; plus the series is still running, so nothing post-Life and Death of Johnny Alpha.
ABC Warriors - again, it's still running.
Sinister Dexter - No chance! Far too much to go into three books!
Caballistics - Yes
DR and Qunich - Very likely
Stickleback - No
(Original) Robo Hunter -Yes - and maybe some of the Samantha stories...?
(Original) Trooper - Almost certainly
Meltdown Man - Yes
Shakara - Yes
Kingdom - No
Ace Trucking - Maybe...?
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

I do wonder what we'll get with Robo-Hunter. This would have been a good opportunity to do a colour reprint of the Hughes/Hogan stuff, but we've already been told they won't be in there.

sintec

We're only getting 2 books of Ace Trucking,  previous collected publication was 2 books of 300+ pages each.  So I suspect we're going to be missing at least 100 pages from the full run (assuming the previous 2 vols were complete).

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 15 May, 2018, 10:07:09 AM
I do wonder what we'll get with Robo-Hunter. This would have been a good opportunity to do a colour reprint of the Hughes/Hogan stuff, but we've already been told they won't be in there.

Aye, it's interesting. Book II must run up to the end of Play it Again, Sam (because take that away and it would only be 139 pages!). But the rest of the classic run is only another 161 pages - surely not enough to fill a third book? You could fit in the majority of the Samantha Slade stuff but you'd have to leave out the final two stories, so who knows...?
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

Quote from: sintec on 15 May, 2018, 11:17:48 AMWe're only getting 2 books of Ace Trucking,  previous collected publication was 2 books of 300+ pages each.  So I suspect we're going to be missing at least 100 pages from the full run (assuming the previous 2 vols were complete).
As I recall, they were complete, even including the final annual story (alas, in old-school phone book greyscale, which was a pity with it originally being full-colour). But Ace Trucking is pretty easy to prune. Lots of fat you can trim.

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 15 May, 2018, 11:47:07 AMAye, it's interesting. Book II must run up to the end of Play it Again, Sam (because take that away and it would only be 139 pages!). But the rest of the classic run is only another 161 pages - surely not enough to fill a third book? You could fit in the majority of the Samantha Slade stuff but you'd have to leave out the final two stories, so who knows...?
I'd much sooner see Hogan/Hughes than Samantha Slade, which just sort of stopped and wasn't that good to begin with. Are there definitely three Sam Slade books?

abelardsnazz

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 15 May, 2018, 11:47:07 AMAye, it's interesting. Book II must run up to the end of Play it Again, Sam (because take that away and it would only be 139 pages!). But the rest of the classic run is only another 161 pages - surely not enough to fill a third book? You could fit in the majority of the Samantha Slade stuff but you'd have to leave out the final two stories, so who knows...?
I'd much sooner see Hogan/Hughes than Samantha Slade, which just sort of stopped and wasn't that good to begin with. Are there definitely three Sam Slade books?

Yup! https://www.facebook.com/2000ADCollection/posts/1864124723915851?comment_id=1866367780358212&reply_comment_id=1866716420323348&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R0%22%7D

A very long shot, but maybe book 3 could include the one-off Smith & Weston story from the 1992 sci-fi special, which I seem to remember was as strange and brilliant as you'd expect from those two.

Hmm, there's a quote that doesn't look like a quote there, can anyone help? Thanks.

Fixed quote - IP

Tomwe

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 15 May, 2018, 12:33:22 PM

Hmm, there's a quote that doesn't look like a quote there, can anyone help? Thanks.
What do you mean?

abelardsnazz

Quote from: Tomwe on 15 May, 2018, 01:18:09 PM
Quote from: abelardsnazz on 15 May, 2018, 12:33:22 PM

What do you mean?

It's not in a blue box.

Tomwe

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 15 May, 2018, 01:21:08 PM
It's not in a blue box.

not enough [ q u o t e ] 's at the beginning? you can write your own by including the [ q u o t e ] and [ / q u o t e ] formatting.

(without all those spaces, naturally. like:
Quotethis, though you can't see it)

Tjm86