Main Menu

Are we all looking at the same photos here or what?

Started by Judge Cassidy, 09 February, 2011, 08:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

This is a cautionary tale - there are no bad threads, only bad posts.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 13 February, 2011, 07:25:51 PMRegardless, I expect I'll go see Dredd in both 2d and 3d - apparently they are doing stuff in the film that has never been attempted in 3d before so that will be worth seeing.

For those who can only see it in 3D but want 2D, there is a solution...

http://www.tested.com/how-to-make-2d-glasses-for-3d-movies/47-279/

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 February, 2011, 10:49:04 PM
This is a cautionary tale - there are no bad threads, only bad posts.

Testify.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: MarsHottentot on 13 February, 2011, 04:48:55 PMSo 'MA-MA' is a new villain - but she's not a new style of character.  Don't be surprised when she turns out to be a text book Fattie - belly wheel and all.

I doubt that, I think the better avenue is having Lena as the dangerous lookin' beatch that she is. Original conceptions be damned.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: MarsHottentot on 13 February, 2011, 06:06:51 PM
The follow up about Maxivision48 (film process shoots at 48 fps versus the current 24.  "The most important innovation in cinema in the last half-century." - Martin Scorsese) is pretty depressing in that it will likely never happen.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/01/more_than_ever_the_future_of_f.html

There's actually no reason in the future this won't happen as it'll only be a matter of drive storage -getting cheaper all the time- rather than it being twice the cost of the older celluloid film- very expensive for both the shoot and projection.

The 48fps image -which in Europe would actually be 50fps for our 50hz power frequency- would really help with progressive frames and smooth shuttery motion out.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Steve Green on 13 February, 2011, 06:36:02 PM
I can sort of understand the reluctance on that though - they're fighting against decades of 24 frames per second being film reality, and faster frame rates than that are equated with home video, daytime soaps etc.

I don't really see that being an issue, the difference for the split between TV and Cinema was always the flat looking interlaced video image shot on budget productions as opposed to the 24fps film look image which is now somewhat replicated by going progressive and higher camera exposure latitudes of sensor cameras as i'm sure you know. We never had the progressive video image, before the last decade, on TV, even though historically it was around long before the interlaced image with the invention of TV, because the broadcast bandwidth was too narrow.

Side note: There was a demonstration of HDTV (1080i/1125) lines by SONY and NHK at the European Union Broadcasting Conference held in Killarney, Ireland in 1982...

Scroll down the page for the real video (one of my elder editing colleagues is in the video too):

http://www.rte.ie/laweb/brc/brc_1980s.html

I've been told one episode of the SIX Million Dollar Man was shot on this video system and was screened, don't know which episode.

vzzbux

Just thought I would throw in this concept bike as Mr Soap may be accused of being Sc*j* with his multi posts.

Sanity restored.
http://community.imaginefx.com/forums/314949/ShowThread.aspx

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: vzzbux on 13 February, 2011, 11:29:16 PM
Just thought I would throw in this concept bike as Mr Soap may be accused of being Sc*j* with his multi posts.

You must see my scripts...no please... you must...

Was that bike rendered on an Amiga?

MarsHottentot

I can sort of understand the reluctance on that though - they're fighting against decades of 24 frames per second being film reality, and faster frame rates than that are equated with home video, daytime soaps etc.

Yeah, I've heard this argument as well, but somehow I don't think Martin Scorsese and Roger Ebert would be championing big screen video.  I mean, really.
Quote from: radiator on 13 February, 2011, 07:25:51 PM
QuoteSo 'MA-MA' is a new villain - but she's not a new style of character.  Don't be surprised when she turns out to be a text book Fattie - belly wheel and all.

The impression I have got is that while Ma Ma will look quite disfigured and scary in the movie, she won't be a fattie.

I heard she was...  dammit internet, makin' me look dumb this early...

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 13 February, 2011, 10:19:36 PM

It wouldn't be a huge leap to suggest both Garland & Boyle had discussed High Rise at some stage or that High Rise may have influenced Garland while writing the screenplay for Dredd.

Great post - I bet you're right.
"I'm Asking You...BEGGING You-My Flesh, My Blood... It's Not Too Late!  Fix It Joe! You - You And Rico - You Can Do It..." - Judge Fargo

radiator

QuoteI heard she was...  dammit internet, makin' me look dumb this early...

I believe that her character is described as 'overweight' and in her mid-forties/fifties in the script - but since they cast Lena Headey in the role the character has changed to suit her appearance.

I think there may have been some confusion on some sites over whether the character is based on Big Mammy from the Alabammy Blimps storyline - which isn't the case.

Steve Green

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 13 February, 2011, 11:22:00 PM

I don't really see that being an issue, the difference for the split between TV and Cinema was always the flat looking interlaced video image shot on budget productions as opposed to the 24fps film look image which is now somewhat replicated by going progressive and higher camera exposure latitudes of sensor cameras as i'm sure you know. We never had the progressive video image, before the last decade, on TV, even though historically it was around long before the interlaced image with the invention of TV, because the broadcast bandwidth was too narrow.

Side note: There was a demonstration of HDTV (1080i/1125) lines by SONY and NHK at the European Union Broadcasting Conference held in Killarney, Ireland in 1982...

Scroll down the page for the real video (one of my elder editing colleagues is in the video too):

http://www.rte.ie/laweb/brc/brc_1980s.html

I've been told one episode of the SIX Million Dollar Man was shot on this video system and was screened, don't know which episode.

I don't know to be honest, I think of it as a similar hurdle where people are reluctant to change, e.g. the filmising of interlaced video, for something like the League of Gentlemen it made sense because it felt more filmic - but it was taken to extremes where they were filmising just about everything.

I remember turning on one of those motion interpolation gizmos on a DVD of The Game once, and it does look pretty weird. I know it's not native 50fps, but I still think the biggest hurdle is audience acceptance of a different frame rate, no matter how well done the other aspects are, as there's a massive expectation of what film should look like.

I don't know if digital cinemas are already specced up to project 2K at >24fps, it would be interesting to see something done as a test subject.

Michaelvk

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 13 February, 2011, 11:00:21 PM
Quote from: MarsHottentot on 13 February, 2011, 04:48:55 PMSo 'MA-MA' is a new villain - but she's not a new style of character.  Don't be surprised when she turns out to be a text book Fattie - belly wheel and all.

I doubt that, I think the better avenue is having Lena as the dangerous lookin' beatch that she is. Original conceptions be damned.

Scared the bejesus out of us on set, that's for sure..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..