Main Menu

Rok of the Reds

Started by Steve Green, 27 February, 2016, 03:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Prodigal2 on 06 February, 2017, 10:35:43 AM
On that very point-when is the finale?

Dan is hard at work on it now, but both he and Abby are doing this around 'proper' jobs so it takes a little while to get each issue over the finish line. I reckon March might be a little optimistic, but it should be April if not...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Magnetica on 14 February, 2017, 07:41:22 PM
Also, dumb question, where can I buy them from?

John has a stack to sell anywhere he does a signing, both he and Dan are amenable to requests for issues via Facebook, or you can order direct from publishers BHP.

The book has been solicited through Diamond, meaning that theoretically you could get it in your local comic shop, but Diamond's distribution system is unintentionally (?) hostile to smaller publishers, so I wouldn't put money on it.

Edit to add: At some point, I would imagine a TPB will be forthcoming. I haven't discussed production specifically with John, but that's certainly the feeling I have.

CalHab

I'm glad to hear a TPB is under consideration. This is an excellent comic that would appeal to a wider audience. Get it into bookshops!

flip-r mk2

Jim, sorry I didn't get to meet you on Saturday. Rok was the only set of books I brought with me to get signed.

filippo
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

matty_ae

I was really pleased to finally meet Dan.

I managed to get the Dad in front of me to buy his son a run of ROK but blimey he needed some convincing. I honestly think there's a retro school of 2000AD fans who have bought a comic (including 2K) for 15 years!

Hawkmumbler

Hope Traveling Man have copies of #5 in today!

Magnetica

Just read issues 1 to 5. It's a great, easy to read comic and is the sort of thing that could easily fit into 2000AD. It features some nice art from Dan Cornwell and I am glad to see he will be doing some work for 2000AD.

There were a few little touches I liked including:
- Corn Well Flakes
- the suggestion from the commentators that the missing ref had popped off to the optician
- the names of some of the United players made me chuckle

In amongst a story of space changing aliens taking on human form there were two plot points that frankly stretch credibility to breaking point:

1) Real Madrid expressing an interest in a lower league player - regardless of how many goals they score in a series of games

and

2) possibly the most unlikely thing I have seen in a comic in a very long time - professional football clubs taking the FA Cup seriously.   :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CalHab

Quote from: Magnetica on 23 February, 2017, 10:22:49 AM

1) Real Madrid expressing an interest in a lower league player - regardless of how many goals they score in a series of games

I thought they were a lower half of the Premier side, rather than a Championship side?

Magnetica

I would have to check but I am pretty sure that when they played Albion, Albion were described as being near the top of the Championship and as a higher team than the Reds which I took to mean the Reds were in a lower league e.g League 1 or lower.

Or have I missed some where it is more explicitly stated.

dancornwell

Final issue of ROK OF THE REDS is all complete and ready for printing!
All being well it should be available in the next few weeks. It's been an absolute blast drawing these comics and this last issue is the best yet. Promise.

Currently drawing a Judge Dredd story by Mr Wagner himself which will appear in a prog sometime soon so if you'd like a chance to see if I'm good enough for The Galaxy's Greatest Comic then grab some or better still all of the Rok of the Reds comics. Contact me here or on my FB page. You can also grab copies through Mr Wagner himself via his own FB page!

dancornwell

Quote from: dancornwell on 19 April, 2017, 05:21:27 PM
Final issue of ROK OF THE REDS is all complete and ready for printing!
All being well it should be available in the next few weeks. It's been an absolute blast drawing these comics and this last issue is the best yet. Promise.

Currently drawing a Judge Dredd story by Mr Wagner himself which will appear in a prog sometime soon so if you'd like a chance to see if I'm worthy for The Galaxy's Greatest Comic then grab some or better still all of the Rok of the Reds comics. Contact me here or on my FB page. You can also grab copies through Mr Wagner himself via his own FB page!

robert_ellis

That's great news - I hope there's a collected edition at some point!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: robert_ellis on 19 April, 2017, 07:10:46 PM
That's great news - I hope there's a collected edition at some point!

The press-ready file is away for printing. Also, Mr W has made reference to the TPB, so I figure that will definitely be a thing, although (as mentioned upthread) I imagine he'll want to shift as many of the single issues as possible before we put that together.

Link Prime

Quote from: dancornwell on 19 April, 2017, 05:21:27 PM
Currently drawing a Judge Dredd story by Mr Wagner himself which will appear in a prog sometime soon

Excellent news.

Colin YNWA

Two fantastic bits of news there. Really looking forward to seeing Dan in the Prog but more importantly (well to me at least!) Rok of the Reds 6 is almost here!

Wayhey!!!

Dan can I ask a cheeky question will the copies you have be signed by John and yourself, or do you not know yet? So far I have all 5 signed by you both and I'd love to be able to complete the set.