Main Menu

The language of Dredd

Started by Stu101, 11 February, 2011, 02:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Misanthrope

Quote"I am the Law!" might've worked for me as a kid when uttered by a McMahon Dredd in the 70s but came over just plain silly in (you guessed it) that film.

I don't think it is the 'catchphrase' that was wrong, it was just the way Stallone delivered it.

I AM (pause) THE LAW!

I have always heard it as:

I (pause) AM THE LAW!

"The law protects the innocent, and I (pause) am the law."

Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Steve Green

Yeah, as a standalone I thought it sounded pretty dopey in the Stallone movie, but I think it could possibly work as an addition to a statement.

I'd like to hear 'meathead' in there though...

Toni Scandella

They said 'Drokk' in the Stallone film, and it didn't make that one any good...

Steve Green

I think if you're going to have it, it needs to be used throughout the film and it also would need to be bolstered with other Mega City jargon.

Pedways and Underskeds, Juves and 'dults - it wouldn't sound so freakishly odd if the Drokks are surrounded with other Megspeak.

Yes it would make it harder for the casual viewer, but I think for this realistic take on Dredd it's probably best left out of it.

JOE SOAP

"I, am the Law" only needs to be mentioned once in the film, preferably at a point where such an iconic statemant matters and has the most dramatic impact. Less is more for such a thing. The Stallone version missed this idea, in drama and verbal execution, his very first scene and utterance, in a most embarrassing fashion that destroyed the image of Dredd in the mind of the audience for the rest of the duration.

radiator

QuoteI'd like to hear 'meathead' in there though...

Absolutely - and creep, perp etc.

I think for me it's not catchphrases or made up swear words that are important to the essence of Dredd - it'll be the mannerisms and attitude that sell it for me - that sort of gruff, sneering, impatient demeanor, and from the sounds of it Urban has utterly nailed this side of things (John Wagner seems to think so, at least!).

lborl

Quote from: Cyclopz on 11 February, 2011, 04:14:41 PM
I think that Grud works in the place of God though. I sometimes use that word - I think that wouldn't be to far out to use in the Film even though it wasn't in the draft that I read.

I think the thing I love most about Mega-City One is that 'Grud', rather than being a minced oath, has replaced the word 'God' entirely such that people use it in church.

If anyone in the film says 'God' instead I will be very disappointed.

euphospug

Isn't the point of "grudd" and "drokk" that swearing is outlawed - instant fine, or arrest... so the alternatives are used, and as such become common use?

Spaceghost

Quote from: lborl on 13 February, 2011, 01:30:49 PM
I think that Grud works in the place of God though. I sometimes use that word - I think that wouldn't be to far out to use in the Film even though it wasn't in the draft that I read.

I think the thing I love most about Mega-City One is that 'Grud', rather than being a minced oath, has replaced the word 'God' entirely such that people use it in church.

People say 'God' all the time in Judge Dredd though. I can't think of any examples at the moment (I'm at work) but I'll have a look when I get home.

I'm pretty sure there are a few utterances of 'God' in Mandroid at least.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Dreddzilla

Quote from: Lee Bates on 14 February, 2011, 09:38:29 AM
Quote from: lborl on 13 February, 2011, 01:30:49 PM

People say 'God' all the time in Judge Dredd though. I can't think of any examples at the moment (I'm at work) but I'll have a look when I get home.

I know they say it in the ''TOTAL WAR'' arc.

FuzzChile99

Always loved Stomm! as a word , It's all F-ing and blindin' in the script , I don't personally like it , newspeak is better , but will the masses understand it (I don't care if they don't , language changes all the time you just have to read Chaucer or Shakespeare to know that , the new megaspeak swear words would make it more authentic

Misanthrope

Quote from: Toni Scandella on 13 February, 2011, 11:54:13 AM
They said 'Drokk' in the Stallone film, and it didn't make that one any good...

"Holy Drokk!"

That moment still makes me cringe.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

FuzzChile99

If Urban is as Ezquerra like as John Wagner say's he is I hope he does say Drokk It! in this film (won't happen though :()

Grimmyx22

'I knew you'd say that' *projectile vomits. Hard.* >:(

SmallBlueThing

Reading the floppy john higgins collection this morning, while in the loo, and horrified to see that a tiny 'shit' was lurking in its pages. Inthe first story, about the breakdown of judge white. It stuck out like a stommy willy at a drokk party.
SBT