Main Menu

2000AD Lego builds

Started by ming, 10 February, 2014, 02:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

I don't usually post work-in-progress shots but I'll make an exception here... I started on the bigger version of Judge Fear before figuring out I could do a reasonable job at a smaller scale - nice to maintain the same size for all of these.  Usually we dismantle the 2000AD builds almost immediately but these seem to be hanging around, for now at least.  Hopefully a couple more to follow but as always I am at the mercy of the bricks available and the whims of the younglings...

Hail, hail, the gang's all here...

ming

The tribe increases.  Quite happy with this one.  If I'd known we'd had this beige/pink available then Mean would have been done with this (but then I'd probably have not had enough left over to do Sláine).  Anyway, for a first crack at Sláine I think this turned out okay; nice to get the brainballs in there plus an attempt at arm and neck torcs - a gae bolga would be awesome but I don't think I can do that at this scale.  The boys like him and have been reading bits of the old Titan reprints - their own copy of Warrior's Dawn is on the way...

Warped version would be fun but I'm not certain I have sufficient pinky-beige bits.  Considering it...

Colin YNWA

This just gets better and better. The hair alone deserves a thread of its own. Have you heard of the Channel 4 (UK) show Lego Masters? If that comes back you need to get your ass on that show!

ming

Thanks Colin!  Definitely not a Lego Master, just an enthusiastic amateur...  The Kano and Slaine are definitely among my favourites though.  Not sure what's next; will have a think over the weekend.

Woolly

This thread makes me weep for all the 2000AD Lego sets we can't buy.

Just jaw-droppingly accurate stuff on display here!

ming

These have kept me busier than expected lately!  I didn't plan to have a go at Dredd since I knew that all the details would be maddeningly difficult to do satisfactorily at this scale, but then someone asked about it and I decided to make an attempt.  After a few false starts (which I can also post if anyone's interested) it worked out better than I expected...  Not perfect but as good as I could do with the bits to hand (and the piece I used for the badge doesn't come in gold or yellow - being a nerd, I just checked).  Might try for a teeny tiny Lawgiver but I'm happy with just the daystick, to be honest.

Anyway, having made a reasonable attempt at Dredd in just a couple of hours (spread over a few days) it does now make me wonder whether I could do Hammerstein or Johnny Alpha, but I don't know whether we have the bits.  For now, we still have all the previous characters done like this...

"Gaze into what, creep?"

The Gang.

The boys want to know why we can't buy them in the shops.

TordelBack

It's a damn good question, Ming.  These have transcended arsom and entered the realm of high art.

Tjm86

IndigoPrime

One possibility for those who would like to buy these: someone could recreate them in stud.io, and make the plans available on here. People could then grab the pieces on Bricklink.

As for Dredd, that eagle is superb, and the details (notably the helmet and belt) are really good. About the only thing that doesn't click for me is the mouth/chin. He looks – for once – less square-jawed than those around him.

(On Lego Ideas, I suspect this would have no chance. Lego largely now blocks anything that's pitching towards an existing line.)

ming

Thanks folks!  These have been a lot of fun to do and turned out to be of great interest to the boys (which is usually the main point of this).  I definitely feel I've improved since the first one (Mean) and if I had unlimited bricks I'd just keep going...  As it is, I have a few more characters I'd like to have a go at but I'll have to see how it goes.

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 October, 2017, 07:32:00 PM
One possibility for those who would like to buy these: someone could recreate them in stud.io, and make the plans available on here. People could then grab the pieces on Bricklink.

As for Dredd, that eagle is superb, and the details (notably the helmet and belt) are really good. About the only thing that doesn't click for me is the mouth/chin. He looks – for once – less square-jawed than those around him.

I can try and do a step-by-step build guide for some of these if anyone's interested but bear in mind that these were done on the fly with whatever was available; if I started them again they'd probably be done slightly differently (especially if I had access to whatever bricks I wanted).

As for the chin, I just wanted to emphasise one of Dredd's defining characteristics within the constraints of (basically) a 4x4 head shape.  Cramming the basic look of the helmet into those dimensions, with visor and respirator, leaves little room for a face, so I went with the big chin.  I can try swapping it out for a flat, pinky-beige, 1x2 piece but I suspect it will be just drowned out by the surrounding helmet area.

Dash Decent

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 October, 2017, 07:32:00 PM
One possibility for those who would like to buy these: someone could recreate them in stud.io, and make the plans available on here.

You could also use Lego's own free "Lego Digital Designer".

PS Ming - they're all brilliant!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

IndigoPrime

LDD is fine also. The reason I like stud.io is you can immediately hurl a file at Bricklink and it'll figure out how you can get the relevant bricks sent to you with a couple of clicks. (You can import LDD files into stud.io, note.)

ming

I tried LDD before and couldn't really get by brain around it; I'm too used to rummaging in the various boxes and drawers (being a science nerd we have a system) looking to see what we have that might work for what I have in mind.  I had a quick look at LDD again just now but couldn't find one of the key pieces I need for these figure builds (6123809: 1 x 2 x 1.66 with studs on one side) - might be there and I'm just being thick, though.  Might check out stud.io later.

I have a pair of characters in mind next and a vague idea how I might make them work but I'll have to see what bricks we have available; might be a non-starter...

SpaceSpinner2000

These are all super fantastic! Loving your LEGO work!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

ming

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 20 October, 2017, 05:23:43 PM
These are all super fantastic! Loving your LEGO work!

Thanks!  All good fun and a nice way to get the boys into 2000AD a bit more (and the Space Spinner podcast is also fantastic for reminding me of some great strips they need to read).

A couple of new kids on the block...