Main Menu

2000AD Lego builds

Started by ming, 10 February, 2014, 02:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Following straight on from Hiss Weerd so I can go and have a nice long lie down in a dark room...

My last 2000AD Lego builds of the year, probably...  It's been a fun few months doing these but my brain needs a break from Lego so I'll get back to some science stuff from which these builds have been an entertaining diversion.

Nemesis especially is a character that I just didn't think I'd be able to do justice, but I'm pretty happy with these.  Took a bit of tinkering and combining Stud.io with trying things out with physical Lego to see what works and how things would look.  I have the Stud.io files for Six, Hiss, Nemesis and Torquemada so if anyone wants them to play around with just drop me a line.

I have to say, looking back at page one of this thread, it's been quite the journey we've been on these past few years...

IndigoPrime

Oh my. Those are wonderful. And, yes, I'd love copies of the stud.io files for any of your models.

Colin YNWA

Woolly

TordelBack

Hot damn :o.  I think the term 'genius' has been worn ragged in this thread, so I'll have to settle for naming you MichelanLego of the Brick.

Topically, it was great to see Pat Mills giving Ming (anonymous) props in 'Be Pure, Be Vigilant, Behave'. 

Colin YNWA

Uncle Pat has also stopped by Facebook to lavish well deserved praise in these beauties as well.

Jez can this thread get any better than those two...

... were Ming is concerned I suspect it can!

ming

Thanks, folks!  It's a lot of fun to figure out what I can do with these; I've moved away a bit from the initial simplified approach I took with Rogue and Mean but I think it's worked out for the best.  I knew I'd never manage Nemesis' head in a 4x4 build so giving myself a bit more wiggle room was the only way to go.

The boys have suggested we (I) take a crack at a few more characters (Mongrol, Mr Ten per cent, Shakara) but I think I'll take a break and recharge a bit before attempting anything else.

IP - I'll work back and do Dredd, Alpha and Sternhammer in Stud.io soon (then the rest) but I'll send you the other files shortly...

I did try and generate a step-by-step build guide for Nemesis using LDD but as half the pieces seemed to be unavailable it was a non-starter.  Still, it would be nice to be able to provide build instructions for these instead of just the Stud.io file to reverse engineer, so hopefully I can figure something out.

ming

Two down, a few more to go... I'll get Dredd and Sláine done next.  Wulf's eyes should be 98138pb072 [Tile, Round 1x1 with Large White Square and Small White Square Pattern] rather than the blank tiles I had to use in Stud.io.  Apart from that and a helmet tweak these are pretty much the same as the original builds I did.

If anyone has a suggestion for an easy way to make the Stud.io files available online let me know, please - it might be simpler to dump them in a folder somewhere although I'm more than happy to email them directly to anyone interested in them.

ming

Seeing Jim's contribution to the Advent Calendar reminded me that I threw this quick Grobbendonk together a while back, mainly at the boys' insistence...

Colin YNWA

Better and better and better.

So much character from so little!

ming

Started messing around with something new last night; just the beginnings of a test build to see if the basic idea will work but I love this stage of the process...  It might change significantly before the end but we'll see how it goes.

ming

A bit of progress with Slough Throt...

Which prompted me to dig out some of the work-in-progress / test build pics I took for some of the other characters...  I don't know if these are of any interest to anyone but it's probably my favourite part of the process - going from a doodled pencil sketch to a test of how some elements and pieces might work together. 

IndigoPrime

Torquemada PARTY TIME variant!

ming

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 14 December, 2017, 10:31:45 AM
Torquemada PARTY TIME variant!

Hah, indeed!  It's useful to do test builds with whatever colours I have to hand - as long as the pieces are the ones I need - then I can check stuff out that I can't do in Stud.io.  There are definitely things that I'd struggle more with doing just in Stud.io (Slough Throt's weird breathing-mask-beardy-face-thing, for one) so throwing something together physically is usually the best starting point for me.

I'll try and get a body sorted for Slough Throt in the next few days, then do a Stud.io build...  I still have to get Dredd and some others done in Stud.io but got sidetracked.

Rogue Judge

I saw your Lego characters featured in the latest Prog! Congrats! Your fine work is receiving well deserved recognition from Tharg! :)