Main Menu

Jammy Finds

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 27 March, 2014, 05:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

Thought I'd start a new thread for this as I just found quite an obscure Moebius "Young Blueberry" comic for  €9 in Madeira's only comic shop!

Also I once got a bundle of random 2000ads for cheap on eBay that contained rare prog 1208. Much wow.

Those are literally the only two jammy events that have happened to me ever. But has anyone else got charity shop/obscure jammy finds stories?

judda fett

Spain, San Sebastian, Bilbao and Eibar, girlfriend at the time stayed there and she indulged me in going around all the toy shops in the region looking for vintage toys we, collectibles. This was ten- fifteen years ago. The first shop we went in was huge and smelled of old, damp-ish cardboard, after a little wander around I discovered the source of the smell was that stuff that hadn't sold in the 80's was still taking up shelf space, subsequently I came home with Gen 2 Transformers, ESB Star Wars figures, holy frail bootleg 'Airgam - Super Fantastics' figures, Skeletor sword, all sorts of stuff. It was the same in all the shops I visited. All at 80's prices.

Satanist

That bastard Cosh will be along shortly to explain how he ripped off an Oxfam shop of a full run of Scream.

No Im not mad jelly  :-\
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Skullmo

I bought an album from a charity shop because it had Brian May on it, it turned out to be a really rare pre Queen album.

Another time went into a charity shop and they had all the Iron Maiden albums like new for £1 each. And another where they had lots of Burzum and Death Cds for £2 each.

It's a joke. I was joking.

locustsofdeath!

I thought we were going to get to show off our PJ's here. Drat.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 27 March, 2014, 08:00:32 PM
I thought we were going to get to show off our PJ's here. Drat.

Feel free!

Copy of Wheel in Space Target novelisation. 50p in a library sale - £35 on ebay.

vzzbux

The Works is always good for GN's.
On Saturday I picked up
Starwars The Old Republic vol 2
Starwars The Force Unleashed 2
The Rat Pack (Battle)

Less than £10.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Link Prime

A bee-you-tee-full Henry Flint Nemesis The Warlock sketch on EBay for a tenner last year.

Nothing will ever beat; an original Kenner early 80's Boba Fett figure in my local corner shop for 50p in 1995.
Foolishly, I opened it.  :'(

Ancient Otter

Quote from: vzzbux on 27 March, 2014, 10:01:29 PM
The Works is always good for GN's.
On Saturday I picked up
Starwars The Old Republic vol 2
Starwars The Force Unleashed 2
The Rat Pack (Battle)

Less than £10.
V

From a branch The Works that was closing I got The Art of Osamu Tezuka for €4. Crazy!

maryanddavid

Many years ago I got the slip-cased BWS Storyteller with 1-9 included for I think £5 in a comics shop that was closing. I'd love to see him take a crack at Sláine.

COMMANDO FORCES

Many moons ago on the outskirts of Port Stanley, near the runway where the Pucaras were shown blown up, a group of us were pissing about, as you do!

Anyway, one of the lads picks something up and shouts out that he's just found 10 pence, we ignored him. He then says it again and then again. We all tell him in fruity language that he's not telling the truth. This goes on until he shows us a handful of coins and sand. We obviously start digging and using our Search techniques, we find about £160. Luckily there were four of us digging, so we shared it out equally.

We took it back to our accommodation, Coastel 3, which you may have heard of every now and again. It's a massive floating complex that can house a lot of people. It pops up on the news when they mention putting prisoners into it but it's inhumane, or something like that  ;)

Anyway, we took the rusty money back to our rooms, bought some Coke, filled the sink and cleaned it up. It helped pay for many weeks of drink and snacks.

We all decided that someone must've robbed a fruit machine and realised that they wouldn't get that much change off the islands, so burried it for a future visit. Once we decided this must be what happened we took a small metallic tin back to the area and burried it with a note that said something like, cheers easy!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 28 March, 2014, 01:25:22 AM

Many moons ago on the outskirts of Port Stanley, near the runway where the Pucaras were shown blown up, a group of us were pissing about, as you do!

Anyway, one of the lads picks something up and shouts out that he's just found 10 pence, we ignored him. He then says it again and then again. We all tell him in fruity language that he's not telling the truth. This goes on until he shows us a handful of coins and sand. We obviously start digging and using our Search techniques, we find about £160. Luckily there were four of us digging, so we shared it out equally.

We took it back to our accommodation, Coastel 3, which you may have heard of every now and again. It's a massive floating complex that can house a lot of people. It pops up on the news when they mention putting prisoners into it but it's inhumane, or something like that  ;)

Anyway, we took the rusty money back to our rooms, bought some Coke, filled the sink and cleaned it up. It helped pay for many weeks of drink and snacks.

We all decided that someone must've robbed a fruit machine and realised that they wouldn't get that much change off the islands, so burried it for a future visit. Once we decided this must be what happened we took a small metallic tin back to the area and burried it with a note that said something like, cheers easy!
[/s]

I once stole £160

FTFY
Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

In a Sorrento restaurant, the owner was trying to flog us lemonchello (as they do).

They also sold Glenlivet. 10 year old whisky for £8 was fine, but they also had 30 year old at the same price. I bought four of them, for £32 (and  free lemonchello). My saving was about £400.
Lock up your spoons!

Skullmo

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 28 March, 2014, 07:46:36 AM
Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 28 March, 2014, 01:25:22 AM

[/s]

I once stole £160

FTFY
:lol:
It's a joke. I was joking.

TordelBack

Visited the Prince August Factory shop in Macroom, Co. Cork in about 1999.  They had just lost the LotR miniatures licence as the first Jackson movie was coming out and the big boys were snapping up the merchandising rights - the place was in a bit of a mess as they handled the changeover to chess sets and statues (as opposed to gaming minis), but there were some nice metal minis to be had on the cheap - and a large table of cardboard Part Boxes.  These contained leftover loose stuff that they had, elven arms holding bows, half-orcs (geddit), oars for Smeagol's boat,  Isengard shields, the Horn of Gondor, that sort of thing, all at 5p a throw.  The not-yet-missus and I were happily picking through this reporting our findings of cats and tankards, when we began to notice dragon parts.  Soem feverish searching later we had assembled  sufficient parts for three complete (different) dragons.  Maybe 8 or 10 parts each, so a grand total of £1.50 the lot (including Smeagol, Deagol and boat).  Combined Buy-it-Now price on eBay currently: STG£90.00.  :D

Here's one of my 50p dragons (not my photo):