Prog 2069 : Warrior's code

Started by Darren Stephens, 17 February, 2018, 08:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big_Dave

Compare it with Teague's work on Savage

patrick goddard

Tjm86

Keef Monkey

The new Dredd strip has gone a long way to boosting my thrill levels after a bit of a meh few weeks. Looks great and is ticking my sci-fi horror boxes nicely!

Other than that I still quite enjoyed Savage but the other strips were a bit of a skim through for me unfortunately. No idea what's happening in Brass Sun or ABC Warriors (and throwing more robots at it in a trademark Mills line-up style isn't going to help with that), and my interest drifts in and out of Bad Company. Some weeks I like it, others I'm not fussed. The art always looks very nice though, for all of these strips.

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

broodblik

At last Dredd is back in the Meg some real nice art

Brass Sun my current fav
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

norton canes

Cover: Clint Langley drawing! It's brilliant, and desperately makes me wish he would give up his now-trademark 'Photoshopped' style. Actually it's a shame he couldn't have incorporated Blackblood into the illustration, maybe leering over the top of them all. I know, it would have too crushed, but it's a pity we don't get to see him drawn this well.

Dredd: And on the subject of superb artwork, where have they been hiding this Dave Taylor droid? Fantastic stuff, the detail in the Meg backgrounds and spaceship interiors is phenomenal, and he's found a really good take on Dredd, giving him such a gaunt look. A script full of promise from Ian Edginton, too. Going to have to track down Lamia's previous appearance.

Bad Company: Not read it yet but people here seem to be more appreciative of it as the story's worn on, so I'll probably go through it in one once it's concluded.

Savage: This run has been OK, if not gripping. The great artwork of Patrick Goddard has helped.

Brass Sun: This has suddenly turned around and become a wonderful read. All those episodes with those weird golden robots lost me - but a new life in a tropical paradise with a house on the back of a giant tortoise? Count me in! I've always thought INJ's art for this suffered in comparison to his work for Brink but the slightly freer style with less detail actually works really well in this setting. TOP THRILL!

ABC Warriors: So absurdly cliched that you can't help but think Pat Mills must have something massively subversive and self-ridiculing up his sleeve... yeah? 

IndigoPrime

Quote from: norton canes on 22 February, 2018, 10:55:36 AMABC Warriors: So absurdly cliched that you can't help but think Pat Mills must have something massively subversive and self-ridiculing up his sleeve... yeah?
More like it'll just stop, we'll see END OF BOOK ELEVEN BILLION and "To be continued in ABC Warriors get the gang back together again over an entire book, and then face off against a tediously listed set of opposites, before having a big scrap yet again, and are we stuck in some kind of time loop here, because it's all feeling a bit repetitive".

Tjm86

... looks like Mr Mills has decided to use Marvel Comics Crossovers as inspiration then.

DrJomster

Very lovely Dredd this week. As mentioned above, GORGEOUS art! Good start story wise as well.

Brass Sun was also tops, as usual.

I do agreee that this was a good episode of Bad Company. I think a few things in the Prog at the moment will read better when collected.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Theblazeuk

Going off Bad Company as it drags on. Never got to grips with ABC. Having this and Savage in the same prog is a bother as it burns out what little remains of my enjoyment of the latter. Howard Quartz gets a bit much (just like our real capitalist overlords, ho ho). Dredd looks like the start of something fun even if the exorcist judges are utterly daft from what little I know, space murder is good murder. And Brass Sun - I've never stopped loving this. Wasn't ready for a 5 year gap and I'm shocked at the sudden turnabout with Merlin and the Camelot robots (and whatever that plant-nun was! Thought we'd find out about them). Does this mean old smiling Kurt Vonnegut won't be with us anymore in any form? Anyway - looking forward to more and finding out what Sky Pirate has been up to.

The only thing that makes me happier than Brass Sun is Brink, Kingdom and Helium. All three of which need to come back around by the time this orbit of Brass finishes off.

sheridan

Quote from: The Amstor Computer on 20 February, 2018, 01:18:40 AM
Quote from: Richard on 20 February, 2018, 12:16:05 AM
Dredd starts off promisingly. (Have we seen Lamia before? I can't remember.)

In "High Spirits", by Edginton and Taylor back in 2009 (!)

Don't think there's been another appearance sInce.

This week's Thrill-Mail presents the first appearance.

Aaron A Aardvark

The Prog's basically down to three strips I used to really like (ABC, Savage & Bad Company) and one I've never really got into.

Fortunately, Dreddd makes a promising start.

It all looks great, although Bad Company will always be in black and white for me.

CalHab

Dave Taylor's work is great here. I'd be very happy to see Tharg call on him more regularly.