Main Menu

new coloured version of the Walking Dead

Started by rogue69, 18 July, 2020, 11:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

Skybound have announced that from October they will be releasing The Walking Dead Deluxe a new coloured version of the original series with Dave McCaig colouring the original work of artists Tony Moore and Charlie Adlard. The first issue is due on October 7, with the plan to release two issues monthly from November onward.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walking-dead-comic-book-series-stages-full-color-comeback-1303703

sintec

Have to say I liked it as just B/w linework - not sure it really needed colouring. Still each to their own.

IndigoPrime

Money money money money money money money money money money money money

I don't see the point of this either. But, well,  money money money money money money money money money money money

(I'd sooner pay for the reverse in some cases: a B+W V for Vendetta, say; or the new IDW Usagi volumes in B+W.)

Colin YNWA

At the end of the day though we have to accept the fact that its Rob Kirkmans and Terry Moore (?does he have a stake? In my head he's been bought out and there was some legal wranglings?) and Charlie Adlards (what's his stake in terms of ownership???) baby and if we respect creator rights we roll with the blows. Heck if they think there's value in doing this then all good. Hopefully it will get them even more readership and cash.

Shame other more worthy (as I see it, that's utterly subjective of course) comics can't milk cash like this onhe, bit good luck to them.

Mind I utterly agree with Indigo Prime its a shame that there's not a market for the reverse of these and seeing some comics with the colours removed. Nowt wrong with the skills and talent of colourists and they clearly add so much to a story BUT there are some comics I'd just love to see in black and white. Never happen but would be great.

Tjm86

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 July, 2020, 11:45:52 AM
Mind I utterly agree with Indigo Prime its a shame that there's not a market for the reverse of these and seeing some comics with the colours removed. Nowt wrong with the skills and talent of colourists and they clearly add so much to a story BUT there are some comics I'd just love to see in black and white. Never happen but would be great.

Erm, DC have done quite a few Batman Noir books in that fashion.  Killing Joke is awesome for my money.

sintec

Yeah I mean I'm assuming they've done their market research and thing this will sell a bundle
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 July, 2020, 11:45:52 AM
At the end of the day though we have to accept the fact that its Rob Kirkmans and Terry Moore (?does he have a stake? In my head he's been bought out and there was some legal wranglings?) and Charlie Adlards (what's his stake in terms of ownership???) baby and if we respect creator rights we roll with the blows. Heck if they think there's value in doing this then all good. Hopefully it will get them even more readership and cash.

Oh absolutely - just because I don't want to buy it doesn't mean I'm opposed to its existence. I'd assume they've done their market research and concluded there's a big enough audience for this to net them $$s. Good luck to them.

pauljholden

The walking Dead *IN COLOR* probably doesn't sound as high end as "Deluxe" (unless it's deluxe paint)

Colin YNWA

Yeah weird the way that Zombie Tones Dulux range never took of. Midnight Gore, Peeling Flesh Red, Moody Brains all lovely colours...

what...

... oh Deluxe...

IndigoPrime

Not sure what deluxe means in this context, given that it's 'reissued and coloured in'. Doesn't sound that deluxe to me. Also, quite odd, given Image's general tendency towards bonafide deluxe volumes (albeit some that need reprints—come on re Fatale...)

rogue69

Part of the extra "Deluxe" part is a segment called "The Cutting Room Floor," which contains Robert Kirkman's original plot ideas and abandoned storylines and plot points which changed along the way, along with the now obligatory range of variant covers

IndigoPrime

And then, eight years from now (assuming the run survives), people can get all annoyed again about the strip ending so abruptly.

CalHab

The Eddie Campbell coloured version of From Hell was interesting, and that was an idea that didn't seem like it should work. You never know.

On the other hand the recoloured version of Miracleman is definitely not an improvement.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 July, 2020, 11:45:52 AMMind I utterly agree with Indigo Prime its a shame that there's not a market for the reverse of these and seeing some comics with the colours removed. Nowt wrong with the skills and talent of colourists and they clearly add so much to a story BUT there are some comics I'd just love to see in black and white. Never happen but would be great.

Marvel's new Savage Sword of Conan was decolorized for a recent excellent TPB collection.

sheridan

Quote from: CalHab on 20 July, 2020, 08:20:03 AM
The Eddie Campbell coloured version of From Hell was interesting, and that was an idea that didn't seem like it should work. You never know.

On the other hand the recoloured version of Miracleman is definitely not an improvement.

You're right - it doesn't seem like From Hell would work in colour - though you only said it 'was interesting' - did it work as well?

Marvelman* should be in black and white!  Didn't like the eclipse colour (even though the art was fantastic).  Not counting the Neil Gaiman / Mark Buckingham run, which should be published in colour, as it was intended.

Seeing as Marvel now publish it why haven't they reinstated its name?

BPP

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 July, 2020, 11:23:00 AM
Money money money money money money money money money money money money

I don't see the point of this either. But, well,  money money money money money money money money money money money

(I'd sooner pay for the reverse in some cases: a B+W V for Vendetta, say; or the new IDW Usagi volumes in B+W.)

Couldn't agree more. B&W line work is pretty much always vastly superior to line work plus colour (no disrespect to colourists and no reference made to people just outright working in colour be it paints or digital). Mark Millar has a thread recently about European artists and someone put up B&W by Ralph Meyer. I'd read his series The Undertaker and liked it but seeing the B&W art blew me away - the guy is a technician superior to the likes of Bolland.

I read a coloured comic, I stare at B&W line work for hours.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd