Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Apart from that being one of the all time great pages from one of the all time great Dredd stories, the thing that's only just struck me about it, in a story where Dredd feels morally constrained by his duty as a judge, is how he's too big for all the panels he appears in. We can see Bub's full figure, but Dredd is consistently cropped by panel borders, hemmed in, constrained by the strip itself. That's brilliant.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jim_Campbell

(Blimey. The above was my 11,000th post. I'm glad it wasn't anything tetchy or contentious.)

I, Cosh

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 10 September, 2016, 09:52:16 AM
(Blimey. The above was my 11,000th post. I'm glad it wasn't anything tetchy or contentious.)
Congratulations you cunt!

And yes, now that you've pointed that out, it is rather clever and quite the introduction for our new member.
We never really die.

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

themanfrommu

Interesting thought and a good example of why I keep keep checking in to this thread (apart from the amazing art of course). Cheers.

Colin YNWA

What a wonderfully insightful 11,000th post... okay shame about the 10,999 prior to that but by 11,000 by George you've cracked it!

Mute77

I loved Sin City!  I hope the Walker droid returns to Dredd at some point..

Mute77

Forgot to say a big thank you to Eamonn1961 for helping a noobie out with uploading images!

Rately

Quote from: themanfrommu on 10 September, 2016, 09:23:36 AM

Long time lurker. Seems as good a time as any for a first post.

Wow!

What a page.

how did you wangle that one, if you don't mind me asking.

themanfrommu

Quote from: Rately on 10 September, 2016, 02:18:18 PM

Wow!

What a page.

It came up on ebay at the beginning of the year. It may have flown under the radar a bit as the listing did not make any reference to the high regard the story is held in and, I would humbly suggest, this page in particular. It was only on a second viewing that I realised myself! Not complaining though!

Rately

Quote from: themanfrommu on 10 September, 2016, 08:41:13 PM
Quote from: Rately on 10 September, 2016, 02:18:18 PM

Wow!

What a page.

It came up on ebay at the beginning of the year. It may have flown under the radar a bit as the listing did not make any reference to the high regard the story is held in and, I would humbly suggest, this page in particular. It was only on a second viewing that I realised myself! Not complaining though!

Fantastic stuff, fella.

Congratulations on the purchase.

Geoff

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 10 September, 2016, 09:38:11 AM
Apart from that being one of the all time great pages from one of the all time great Dredd stories, the thing that's only just struck me about it, in a story where Dredd feels morally constrained by his duty as a judge, is how he's too big for all the panels he appears in. We can see Bub's full figure, but Dredd is consistently cropped by panel borders, hemmed in, constrained by the strip itself. That's brilliant.

Another layer opened up to me on this already powerful story.

Great page tmfm, a real piece of Dredd history, congratulations!

Spikes

A fantastic page by the Doherty droid - and proof that killer pages do pop up from time to time. (I totally missed this, btw).

And a lovely Sin City page there, Mute77. Very partial to a bit of the Walker droid's art, and especially from that tale. A real fave.  :thumbsup:

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Spikes on 11 September, 2016, 03:30:53 PM
And a lovely Sin City page there, Mute77. Very partial to a bit of the Walker droid's art, and especially from that tale. A real fave.  :thumbsup:

I wonder... does Kev go back and fill in all the blacks on the original pages when he decides to sell them? I'm fairly sure he was just laying down the lines in ink and filling the blacks digitally by this stage...

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 September, 2016, 03:37:56 PM
Quote from: Spikes on 11 September, 2016, 03:30:53 PM

I wonder... does Kev go back and fill in all the blacks on the original pages when he decides to sell them? I'm fairly sure he was just laying down the lines in ink and filling the blacks digitally by this stage...

Are you sure? He was by the time of Mandroid, but that was over three years later...
@jamesfeistdraws