Main Menu

Dark Matter

Started by Famous Mortimer, 24 June, 2015, 03:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Anyone else enjoying this Canadian sci-fi effort? Two episodes in and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

By the way, don't click on this spoiler because it totally gives away the twist at the end of the episode, but has anyone who watched got a bit of a [spoiler]Blakes Seven[/spoiler] vibe off it? I think it could really be interesting, and provided it doesn't make the same mistake as Continuum, which had a heroine who fought on the side of the bad guys for two entire seasons, this could be something decent.

Anyway, give it a go I say.

Professor Bear

Reposting my comments from the Killjoys thread:

Quote from: Drinking Problem on 24 June, 2015, 10:06:48 AMdespite an almost abominably stupid opening episode is probably my go-to sci-fi nonsense for the forseeable, as apart from anything else, it's based a comic from the writers/producers of Stargate that didn't disappear up Battlestar Galactica's asshole.  The pilfering from other shows probably reaches a critical mass far too soon, but it's an okay romp.

I quite liked it when they got off the ship and started running around a cement factory the atomic reactor of Space Colony Zeta VII.  That kind of thing is like sci-fi comfort food more than interminable bottle episodes about in-fighting or shape changers or whatever.
And the Asian guy is a ninja!  Haven't seen that trope in a while - it's usually the black dude or a woman these days, so I'm confused if it's progressive or not.  The many close-ups of that lady's arse don't help my confusion, either.

ThryllSeekyr

The female doctor from Lost Girl.

Normally easier on the eyes than she was made up to be in this show, but then she is the creepy android here.

I wonder title of the show really refers to and have looked into it and still wonder. Yet, I only seen most of the first episode and it seemed a bit too cheap and nasty by the time they all got off their ship to explore the warehouse district of some other world.

Not very exotic.

I thought of a book, some novel, I once absent mindedly brought and never read.....

The Dark-Matter quotient is only more of a brand name to series of novels and books and those tow words drew my interest. It sounded like the shadowy side of physics with a touch of horror or vice-versa. Yet as I was prone to buying a lot of reading material, I just put it on the shelf and forgot about it until a few days ago, and now it's sitting right in front me.

Not!!!!

Anyway, this show is based on what SPOILER ALERT Famous-Comic-Book... I've also never read.

So far, I'm not so impressed.

Oh BTW, I thought #Six was also in the Alien - Promethus and that's not right!   

Famous Mortimer

Strong episode 2, as well. As long as they can keep up with the fun week-to-week stuff to go with the inevitable overarching plot, I'll be hooked.

Professor Bear

After the joyless stripmining of better shows that was Stargate Universe and that episode of Farscape where they win a court case against a technologically advanced spacefaring species of lawyers by setting a twig on fire and then claiming God did it, I have pretty simple expectations of action sci-fi shows about spaceships - so when Dark Matter did the "she's not a robot, she's an android!" line after pilfering one of the stupidest conceits from Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda (and that's really saying something), I was like "sure, why not?" whereas before I would probably have been dead sniffy.

If you like your space-based sci-fi more po-faced, though, SyFy is debuting The Expanse later this year.  They're spending a lot of money of late, are SyFy, it's all very baffling - my personal theory is that the guy who does the books got diagnosed with something terminal and has gone crazy.

Famous Mortimer

Oooh, that "The Expanse" looks rather good. Thomas Jane, that bloke from "Road Trip"...I do like a nice bit of po-faced sci-fi.

Drinking Problem, I abandoned "Farscape" before it got to that point, and watched two episodes of SGU before giving up on it - why call it "Stargate" when there aren't really any stargates in it? - so perhaps I never got the chance to be that jaded. Re: Dark Matter, I was rather surprised when the android turned out to be sarcastic, having been mainlining "ST:TNG" in recent months.

Re: SyFy and them deciding to make some sci-fi shows, I think someone at the network went "perhaps we ought to have a bash at pleasing our actual audience rather than trying to encourage people who don't give two hoots about sci-fi to start watching us". I imagine there's a good international resale value for shows like this, too, and all they need is to stumble on another super-hit like "BSG" and they'll be good for years to come.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Drinking Problem on 25 June, 2015, 01:34:22 PM
They're spending a lot of money of late, are SyFy, it's all very baffling

I'm only about halfway through, but (so far) the 12 Monkeys TV series is a lot better than it has any right to be, too.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

Most likely the videotape in their archives of Buck Rogers and Manimal is starting to get a little threadbare from near-constant use and they're forced into replenishing their stock of shows they can repeat until doomsday.  We'll see what - if anything - they're still making this time next year.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Drinking Problem on 25 June, 2015, 06:55:58 PM
Most likely the videotape in their archives of Buck Rogers and Manimal is starting to get a little threadbare from near-constant use and they're forced into replenishing their stock of shows they can repeat until doomsday.  We'll see what - if anything - they're still making this time next year.
I'm as surprised as anyone, but they only ever made like 12 episodes of "Manimal". I just assumed throughout my youth it went on for ever, but it was just my rubbish memory and watching the same episodes again :)

Professor Bear

Thirteen episodes if you count the character teaming up with Nightman that one time.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Drinking Problem on 25 June, 2015, 07:44:40 PM
Thirteen episodes if you count the character teaming up with Nightman that one time.
It's the "Dark Matter (And Revealing Important Manimal Trivia)" thread!

Professor Bear

All threads on the board are Manimal trivia threads.  It's just a matter of when.

ThryllSeekyr

I wonder if they purposely cast that guy as #Six just so Alien fans who have seen the Prometheus film think it's him that was in both that film and this series.

He's also in Contimuim as the muscle for Liber8. I think that's what the terrorist group was called.  :-\

Dark-Matter is also available on Steam and most probably unrelated aside from having a similar science fiction theme of being set in deep space far away from here, probably in the future. The game is more of a horror (Similar to Dead-Space or even Alien-Isolation....) 2D-Scroller that I haven't played too much of.

Intrigued by Manimal and so sorry that I have missed nearly every episode of Twelve-Monkeys and that new Fargo series so far.

So buy the book, but never read it, and install the game, but never play it.

Dark-Matter, does it matter or doesn't matter?

Devons Daddy

This show is great!
ticks all the boxes,

little bit space western seven samurai ,magnificent 7,
little bit of intrigue, shadows of firefly.
does it for me.

I LIKE
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

ThryllSeekyr

Haven't heard from you at all in a a long time.....lurking much?