Main Menu

Tape question

Started by Famous Mortimer, 27 June, 2015, 06:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Hello all! This is sort of a classified question, I suppose.

I'm about 100 progs from completing my collection (mostly the early ones, obviously) and have started bagging and boarding. But, the top bit of all the bags is flapping about and it annoys my keen sense of order.

So, and I know this is sort of a dumb question, is there a good tape to buy? Not too strong, obviously, as it'll rip the bags, and one of those dispensers would be nice cos then I could tear off the right amount every time without using my teeth.

Colin YNWA

Always, always, always Scotch Magic Tape... well there might be some new fangalled thing, but I've been using that stuff since my first nerding the late 80s early ninties. Just the right strenght so that even if a bit sticks on your comic, gentle removal means you generally get away with it.

ZenArcade

What Colin says, bagged all 1936 and Scotch tape never fails. Mind you it makes taking the early progs out of the bags a fraught experience. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Tjm86

Ditto on both counts.  Scotch tape is the only one I've found that has the right level of adhesion for opening / closing.  Again had a few 'aagh!' moments over the years when the tape has flopped onto the front cover going back into the bag.

Colin YNWA

The tip there (with tape grabbing comic) is have only a little bit on the sealing side - i.e. that which the sticky side of is exposed when the bag is open to release or recieve comic. It only takes a tiny tab to hold the bag shut neatly and this minimises the risk of comic contact.

blixab

Must agree with the rest Mark - scotch magic tape is the stuff to use. Even peels away from the newer back catalogue, not too good from the early ones mind...

ZenArcade

Anything up untill the late 500's is tricky. Must try Colin's tip. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Mattofthespurs

I use medical tape. The sort hospitals use to keep bandages in place. Never tears.

Skullmo

You should be getting them all graded and slabbed! :lol:
It's a joke. I was joking.

Recrewt

I had some nightmares with tape and comics when I was younger so in the end I stopped bothering with it altogether.  If you are using bags and boards then you should be able to just tuck that flap behind the board and if you use something like a ruler to flatten it out there are no creases.  Tape is the work of the devil and will strike when you least expect it!  >:D

sheridan

Quote from: Recrewt on 29 June, 2015, 11:01:25 PM
I had some nightmares with tape and comics when I was younger so in the end I stopped bothering with it altogether.  If you are using bags and boards then you should be able to just tuck that flap behind the board and if you use something like a ruler to flatten it out there are no creases.  Tape is the work of the devil and will strike when you least expect it!  >:D
This is what I'm currently doing (especially as the masking tape I used back in the nineties is a nasty gooey mess now).

Which isn't to say I'm not following this thread with interest.

japandroid

I agree with Scotch tape. The cheaper stuff is a lot cheaper but shreds and is harder to cut and use and is not worth the extra stress. A lot like decent bog roll and the stuff you used to get at school.
Word to the wise; always take the tape off before removing the comic. Scotch is very reusable and the extra time is worth the nightmare of avoiding tape scuff hell.
On a similar tack (!) has anyone broken their back lifting a mag box full of early progs that are bagged and boarded? I was thinking of boarding them all but maybe not worth it?

Famous Mortimer

Report back on Scotch Magic tape - it's a winner, my boxes are looking nice and neat (well, I've only done about 50 of them so far, I've been busy).

Big_Dave