Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Scanning is definitely the best way forward, but any old crappy photos will do!  I've got access to a decent scanner at work (A3) that just emails me pdfs - most pieces of older art have to be scanned in two sections, some require even more scans to get complete coverage (I think we've discussed mahoosive art earlier in this thread) then a bit of jiggery-pokery to crop and assemble the images.

The main reason I scan stuff is the level of detail it shows up - it's nice to be able to do justice to the art, as far as I'm able.

opaque

Yeah looking at my past photos (on the 2000ad Artwork gallery) they aren't too great.
I've got one of those great scanners that send pdf's at work but I don't want to lug all my artwork to work and back so I might have to just take some more photos. It's getting a uniform light source so you don't get flash or sun obscurring the artwork. But maybe it would be worth bringing them in sometime and just get them done.

The Robohunter pieces would certainly need a couple of scans I agree!

Dunk!

I think scanning is the way to go then.
Fear I'll have to take the Mahossive Halo Book 3 pages to a professional to do them justice.

On a related note what are folks take on reducing down the surround to any original artwork they own?
I mean in the case of having them mounted, or maybe just for ease of storage.

Some of my Gibson pages have acres of white paper space around them and when talking to a professional framer recently the option came up to reduce them down.

Sacrilege?

Takes something away?

Practical?

Wondered what people with collections thought.
"Trust we"

hippynumber1

It's difficult isn't it!  I must confess to trimming a couple of pieces to get them to fit in my 'early days' but wouldn't dream of it now! I love all the pencil notes and bleed into the margins so, even early on, wouldn't have trimmed those but I shouldn't think it would reduce value..?

opaque

I store my artwork in a large map plan chest so storage size isn't an issue but if you are getting them professionally mounted then trimming the large white spaces on a lot of the Gibson artwork is a necessity from the pieces I have.
But for others I'd rather have a larger frame and mount the artwork on a plain background as the 'outline' of the page gives it something I think, rather than a pristine edged border.
One example of this for me would be my Colin MacNeil Devlin pages. Beautifully done and you have the uneven edges where the lines of the page boundary are drawn over the artwork. They would look good either way but I think it looks nice as it is.

My problem is generally that I have so much that I could never hope to get anymore than a small amount framed. I'd like some form of more secure storage though (in terms of what it is in inside the drawers) as it's mainly loose or in the bags they came in. You can't look at them very easily like that.
Might be worth getting my Halo pages done in proper frames when I finally get my own house though :P

ming

The only thing I'd ever consider cutting off from one of my original pieces is something that makes me grind my teeth and weep...

...that bit at the top where its says '£10'.

Hah!

Those were the days.

J3D1

Dale takes the most terrible photos lol.
He does!

:D

J3D1

Good sweet baby jesus you cut the pescious?
:o

ming

Quote from: J3D1 on 11 January, 2013, 02:50:43 PM

Me?  No.  Even with a mahoosive white boarder around the artwork I'd try and find a framing solution rather than trim the page...

hippynumber1

Quote from: J3D1 on 11 January, 2013, 02:50:43 PM

Trimmed, I said, trimmed! And only a little bit! And NEVER again!  :-[

Skullmo

Cut out each panel and frame them separately :P
It's a joke. I was joking.

Spikes

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 11 January, 2013, 11:49:19 AM
Quote from: opaque on 11 January, 2013, 11:45:27 AM
I need to take new photos for all my artwork then I might get round to putting them up on CAF.
Any suggestions on best way people have done it?

If it helps (and it won't) I'm always disappointed with my photos of my artwork.  I've recently fluttered my eye lashes at one of the admin ladies where I work and she is kindly scanning the smaller (A4) pieces for me and, I would suggest, that's the way to go.  I'm considering investing in one of the 'wand'scanners to capture the larger pieces. Has anyone used one of those?

Yes i also originally had (bad!) photos up on CAF, but its nearly impossible to get a good shot, and really you want to show the art off as best you can.
Most of my art now is direct scans, - even managed to get a direct scan of my mahoosive Apoc War DPS over xmas, which is summat i thought id struggle to ever get.
The best route, as has been mentioned opaque, is to find an A3 scanner with the email function, so it may be worth taking your pieces to work and doing it that way. It may be a bit of a fuss to do that but it really does show off the art the best.

As for trimming art for framing purposes, well i guess i can kinda see why you'd maybe need to do that sometimes, but i wouldnt dream of having it done. But thats just my personal opinion.

Spikes

And double post as i cant seem to include more than one quote per post..

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 11 January, 2013, 09:44:18 AM
I've been saving for the 'Nemesis and father' page for ages; I would respectfully request that no-one buy it from under me...PLEASE!

Nice one! Hope to see you snag that at some point. Its deffo got you Mark, this art bug!

Proudhuff

Quote from: Skullmo on 11 January, 2013, 03:23:20 PM
Cut out each panel and frame them separately :P

then colour them in too, but ty and stay inside the lines
DDT did a job on me

hippynumber1

Quote from: Judge Jack on 11 January, 2013, 04:05:55 PM
And double post as i cant seem to include more than one quote per post..

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 11 January, 2013, 09:44:18 AM
I've been saving for the 'Nemesis and father' page for ages; I would respectfully request that no-one buy it from under me...PLEASE!

Nice one! Hope to see you snag that at some point. Its deffo got you Mark, this art bug!

Tell me about it! Every waking moment is spent scouring t'internet for art but at least I'm not dreaming about it yet!  :P