Main Menu

A friendly "Hoi" from Vorarlberg, Austria

Started by f4lke, 10 March, 2013, 01:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

f4lke

I just joined the forum and want to say "Hoi" (A special derivation of the german "Hallo" in my province).  :)

I read some of the other "Welcome to the board" threads yesterday evening and I'm impressed by the friendliness of the board users towards new members, as well as the interesting "Why i am here" stories of the newbies.

My nickname (online and in real-life) is "Falke", which derivates from my last name. I was born in 1986 and live in Vorarlberg, which is the most western province of Austria. (In preventive foresight: Austria, NOT Australia. Means: Cows: YES, Kangaroos: NO *grin*). I study Computer Science at an Austrian University and graduated from a school for mechanical enginnering before that.

My 2000AD/Comic story starts last December, the 11.12 (Birthday) to be exactly. I never was into Comics/Graphic Novels my whole life. Not because of my lack of interest, but rather because i hadn't had any contact with the paper form. I have seen tons of comic film adaption out there and play a lot of video games, so one could say i have some kind of "preparatory education" (I believe that's the right term in english). When i heard about the Dredd Movie, i got very excited. The look, action, the R-rated Material, its cinematography and everything about the trailers looked very cool. After seeing the movie on 15.11.2012 i was blown away. I had the urgent feel to do some research about the comics, it's publisher, writers, artists etc. and found 2000AD. A month passed and i hadn't bought a single graphic novel/book. At my birthday, i got a special present from by girlfriend: She grinned and smiled the whole time i tried to unwrap it and whispered something like "I hope this will blow you away." Long story short: She imported a fresh copy of "Judge Dredd: Complete Case Files v. 1" from the UK for me. I read the first book in two evenings and was (again) blown away. I immediately ordered the Complete Case Collections 2-10 from Amazon UK and well, that's how it began. I don't have much Graphic Novels for now, but i can say: I got a new hobby.

Due to the fact that i don't have much stuff for now and i only collect paperback Graphic Novels, i started a chronological list. Maybe our in the future planned kids will read the list and say "Hey look, dads comic history!". :)

So for now, this is my complete list in chronological order:

Judge Dredd: Complete Case Files: v. 1
Judge Dredd: Complete Case Files: v. 2-10
The Ten Seconders
Leatherjack
Fiends of the Eastern Front
Caballistics Inc: Creepshow
Caballistics Inc: Going Underground
Absalom - Ghosts of London
Bec & Kawl - Bloody Students (for 1 Cent from Amazon, 3 GBP shipping costs)
Strontium Dog -  The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha: The Project

and a Bunch of 20 new (!) 2000AD Graphic Novels from Ebay:
Link to photo: http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?file=c24d58-1362922655.jpg
This bundle cost me 52 GBP in total (incl. shipping), so i got a really good deal there i believe.

So that's it from my side and I'm really happy to be here. I'm pretty sure that we will have some good conversations and maybe it's the start of one or another online friendship for lifetime.

PS: As i could read in some other threads that new users have to be unlocked for all the other threads and the account settings like avatars, i would hereby politlely ask to approve me. :)

maryanddavid

Howdo!
Thats an impressive list in such a short space of time, it kind of gets under you skin a bit, dosnt it!

Spikes

Now then, f4lke and welcome to the forum,  :wave:

Nice to see that Dredd/2000ad has well and truly caught your attention. (Youve found yourself in exactly the right place to rejoice in your new addiction!).

And a very nice collection of TPB's from e-bay. A right old bargain, and some very choice reading there,  :thumbsup:

darnmarr

dweezil2

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Colin YNWA

Welcome aboard F4lke.

As has been said an impressive start and have to say that bundle of 20 trades you got for £52 is indeed a bargain and a really good cross section of the diversity of 2000ad stories.

Have fun reading all that stuff and have fun here too.

f4lke

WhizzBang

The eBay bundle looks like a superb deal, there are a few there I am on the lookout for myself.

Welcome to the board!

Frank

TordelBack

Welcome F4lke.  Hey, I've think I've been to Vorarlberg!  More accurately I think I drove through it en route from St. Gallen through Vaduz and on to Innsbruck.  It was raining, mountainous and very pretty - does that sound right?  True enough I didn't see any comic shops.  Or people, now I think about it.

f4lke

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 March, 2013, 09:45:50 PM
Welcome F4lke.  Hey, I've think I've been to Vorarlberg!  More accurately I think I drove through it en route from St. Gallen through Vaduz and on to Innsbruck.  It was raining, mountainous and very pretty - does that sound right?  True enough I didn't see any comic shops.  Or people, now I think about it.

Yep, that's it. I assume you drove from Switzerland through Liechtenstein and 40km through Vorarlberg to Tyrol. And regarding the missing people: Yes, that's also very likely. But we have kilotons of cows. ;)