Main Menu

Other Comics!

Started by stodge, 03 April, 2002, 06:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stodge

can anyone out there suggest so other comics that are worth reading.  does anyone have any experience of these humanoid publishing titles, the Incal & The Metabarons?  i keep seeing them listed but there is so much out there that it is hard to decide what to buy.

The Amstor Computer

Here's what I'm reading right now:

Violent!
Ministry of Space
Just A Pilgrim (and waiting for Garden of Eden...)
Tyrant (whatever happened to Steve Bissette?)
Tom Strong
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Hardly The Hog (are #5 & #6 still on for Comics 2002?)
Whitechapel Freak
Tales of Urban Horror
Gullivera

I'd heartily recommend all of the above, though some will be harder to track down than others.

stodge

are they a series or one offs?  what genre are they?  thanks for the advice i'll check them out anyway.

Mudcrab

Has the second series of League of EG started yet?
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

paulvonscott

Violent! is the Action! inspired comic right?  I want to get that, could someone give me some ordering details.  Oh and for Zarjazz as well!

Cheers

Paul

sigu

Hi Paul,

Zarjaz is ?2, published and edited by Andrew Lewis,  topnotchtosh@hotmail.com

Violent! is ?1, published and edited by Mike Sivier, mikie@wurzzz.demon.co.uk

Both are well worth a buy (and I'm not just saying that ;-))

SiG

paulvonscott

Cheers SiG

I will e-mail them both today.  I want to read something british, with that raw enthusiastic feel about it.  2000AD for all it's merits is a bit too polished and bland sometimes.

stodge

Paul,

let us all know how you get on and how we can get copies as well.  it will save us bombarding the poor guys with emails all asking the same question.

The Amstor Computer

Here goes:

Violent! - as PVS said, an Action-style comic, chocked full of violent & bizarre tales. Like most anthologies, it's a bit variable in quality, but it's well worth a read. One of the best tales is "Tallyman", a strip about a "fixer" for the Glasgow mobs - the kind of fixing done with a straight razor...

Email mikie@wurzzz.demon.co.uk to check availability & get details on where to send payment. When I ordered mine, there were only a handful of copies left, so get in quickly. Issue #5 is due for Comics 2002 in May.

Ministry of Space

What if the British had got to Werner von Braun before the Americans? Welcome to a world where the British were first on the moon. Excellent sci-fi tale from Warren Ellis & Chris Weston, published by Image. Parts #1 & #2 have been out for a while & may be hard to obtain, and the final part is due sometime this year.

Just A Pilgrim

A great post-apocalyptic romp from Garth Ennis & Carlos Ezquerra. The oceans have dried up & humanity struggles to survive in a weird new world. Enter the Pilgrim, a mysterious stranger with a dark past...
Think Mad Max filtered through the weird mind of Garth Ennis. Good stuff, and it should be available from Amazon as a trade paperback (TPB).

Tyrant

The life story of a Tyrannosaurus rex, written & illustrated by Steve Bissette. It was supposed to be an epic that would follow the Tyrant from birth to death, but it only made it to issue #4. Gorgeous art, well-researched & hard to track down.

Tom Strong

Alan Moore. What - you want more? :-)
It's basically Moore's tribute to & reinvention of the pulp classics from the early 20th century.
Tom Strong is a man born of science on the island of Attabar Teru. His parents raised him in a high-gravity environment to give him extraordinary strength & fed him the goloka root to give him long life. When they were killed in a disaster that only the young Tom survived, he was adopted by the natives of the island.
The series recounts his adventures, in the past & the present, whether it's battling genetically-engineered Nazis or weird demons. Very cool stuff, written with a real respect for the pulp fiction of yesteryear, but also with the same intelligence that he brought to Watchmen & From Hell.
Amazon has the first TPB available, and you should be able to pick up the comic in any decent comic store.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

More Alan Moore goodness, with the superb Kev O'Neill as series artist.
Again, Moore revisits late 19th & early 20th century pulp, this time reworking the "superhero team" genre. Instead of the Fantastic Four, he brings together characters like Captain Nemo, Alan Quatermain & the Invisible Man to fight evil wherever it's found in a vaguely familiar Victorian world.
The first run is collected in a great TPB that, again, should be available on Amazon.

Hardly The Hog

Another small press gem, HtH is the tale of a pig who leaves his village to find enlightenment (thanks to Square-Eyed Stories for the synopsis :-)) Imagine Cerebus with a very British kick & you've basically got it.
I can't find contact details right now, but a web search should help.

Whitechapel Freak

A Jack The Ripper tale with a twist you can check it out if you click on the link at the bottom. Highly recommended.

Tales of Urban Horror

More small press fun. This is a short anthology comic, with writers & artists reworking all of those weird urban myths you'd hear from friends. A bit ropy in places, but I found myself really enjoying it.
You should be able to find it & order from http://www.smallzone.co.uk/

Gullivera

A typical Manara comic book - very silly & very raunchy. It's Manara's reworking of Swift's "Gulliver's Travels" with a female Gulliver (Gullivera. Geddit? ;-))
Don't expect great literature, but it is a lot of fun & it has *gorgeous* artwork.

Hope that helps!

Link: http://www.blackboarpress.com/home.htm" target="_blank">Black Boar Press - Whitechapel Freak

sigu

Hi Stodge, almost anything published by Top Shelf Productions is worth a read. (see thread 1052)
In fact  I've just bought a load of stuff from them this afternoon.
Goodbye Chunky Rice by Craig Thompson
Speechless - all about the work of illustrator and comic artist Peter Kuper
Abe by  Glenn Dakin

Some reviews:
http://www.comicbookgalaxy.com/reviews_archive_021402-2.html
- GOODBYE CHUNKY RICE

http://www.comicbookgalaxy.com/reviews_archive_021102.html
- ABE

I'll shut up now.

SiG

Link: http://www.topshelfcomix.com" target="_blank">Top Shelf

Wood

...are both brilliant. they have kind of a mythinc Sci-Fi thing going. They're both written by Brazilian film director Alexandro Jodorowsky, who uses plot ideas from his shelved Dune film.

Anyway, The Incal is more whimsical and weird. It's a reprint of the series from the 80s.

The Metabarons has a much darker tone (and I like the artwork - by Juan Giminez - better).

Rex Gambill

I can recommend them both as well. Nothing much like 2000AD, but certainly of interest to Tooth readers. There aren't much in the way of sci-fi comics out these days.

Readers who care should know that Humanoids has "bowdlerized" both comics so they are OK for all audiences, but I can't imagine anyone younger than a teenager even reading these comics. What they have done is to cover up instances of bare bosoms, for those sensitive Americans who don't like to see boobs alongside the blood and gore these books contain.

Also Metabarons 1-10 have been collected in two trade paperbacks, and are a great buy as the individual issues seem to be fetching a pretty penny.

It was recently announced that Metabarons will end with issue 17. Don't know if that's because it's the end of the story, or if the book was cancelled.

Incal is being presented "Godfather Saga" style, and the early issues of the series collect stories that lead up to Moebius' portion of the story, which was originally presented first.

As I said, I have really been enjoying these books, and would suggest that curious readers try getting their hands on a copy of Incal #1 or the first Metabarons TPB to see if they are interested in more.

Wood

"It was recently announced that Metabarons will end with issue 17. Don't know if that's because it's the end of the story, or if the book was cancelled. "

It's cause it's the end of the story. Although the current Metabaron himself is in a GN called 'the Dreamshifters' out next year, I think.

W. R. Logan

>Tyrant

>The life story of a Tyrannosaurus rex, written & illustrated by Steve Bissette. It was supposed to be an epic that would follow the Tyrant from birth to death, but it only made it to issue #4. Gorgeous art, well-researched & hard to track down.

This was supposed to last 10 years and in the end only lasted 4 issues. Its a few years old now but if you see them they are well worth aread.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Link: http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79/" target="_blank">Class Of '79

http://www.comicon.com/bissette/images/tyrant1_cover_small.jpg">