Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Are the Nemesis title pages black-and-white in everyone else's books? If there's one thing I hate it's a format change mid-series! The colour worked really nicely to break up long runs of black-and-white strips.
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

Jade Falcon

Okay, well this week I had got my Nemesis volume 2 as mentioned, and finally got round to reading Nikolai Dante.  I've never read a single panel of this before and found it a little...mixed to be honest.  The character seems interesting enough except for his constant use of the word "Bosjomei" (is that right?). 

I've heard that it does get better.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

abelardsnazz

Enjoyed Nemesis volume 2, including reading the history - I knew Book 4 was planned for much earlier, but hadn't realised Kevin O'Neill had completed the art years before also, hence the excellent decision to switch to Bryan Talbot, whose art is stunning throughout.

Presume the next volume will collect Torquemada the God and Books 7-9, with the fourth Book 10 and all the other bits and bobs.

Mardroid

I was running early on my way to work so decided to pop into W H Smiths in Gravesend, hoping to find the new Batman volume. Found it, I did.... along with the new Ultimate 2000 Nemesis issue!

I didn't initially plan on getting that issue, but since it was:

A) there
and
B) seems to contain a whole bunch of stuff not included that big special edition volume I own*

I couldn't resist. Result!

Oh, and I never read the prog during the Nemesis days, so this stuff is a first time for me. I have read the other (rather nice) volume mentioned above, but there seems quite a lot left out. Glad to see this seems to cover the crossover with ABC Warriors.

Jade Falcon

So what is next, wouldn't mind something new rather than something that has already been started. Nothing against any of the other strips.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

abelardsnazz

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 31 December, 2017, 03:00:53 PM
So what is next, wouldn't mind something new rather than something that has already been started. Nothing against any of the other strips.

Next few issues line up as follows:

Issue 10, volume 2: Judge Dredd: Return Of The King, containing Fungus, The Prankster, The Starborn Thing, Condo, Kirby's Demon, The Amazing Ant-Man, Young Giant, Return of the King, Christmas with Attitude, The Time Machine, Behold the Beast; Beat the Devil.

Issue 11, volume unknown: Robo-Hunter Volume 1

Issue 12, volume 73: Nikolai Dante Volume 2

Issue 13, volume 23: ABC Warriors Volume 1

Issue 14, volume 47: Rogue Trooper Volume 1

jannerboyuk

Apparently the issue with the dodgy spine us being reprinted

jannerboyuk

🚨 CUSTOMER ANNOUNCEMENT 🚨

It has been brought to our attention that there is an issue with the spine artwork on issue 9 (volume 20) of 2000 AD: The Ultimate Collection. Firstly we would like to apologise for this mistake, we realise it is disappointing and would like to thank the fans who brought it to our attention. We are currently conducting a full reprint of this issue, and will ensure that all subscribers, and all customers who buy 2000 AD: The Ultimate Collection in shops, will receive a fully corrected issue 9, at no extra cost, to ensure their collection is complete and correct.

We will provide more details of when to expect this corrected issue in the coming month, so please keep an eye on the page for further updates.

Please also rest assured that the contents of issue 9 are correct, so in the meantime before your corrected copy arrives, you can still enjoy the content inside of your issue.

Again we'd like to apologise for this mistake, and thank you for your understanding and patience.

Arkady

Interesting, as I thought I'd read here that it was actually vol.19 that was the problem. Good of them to do it - must be an expensive mistake.

IndigoPrime

I suppose with the spine, they've not really got any choice. It's one thing to have the wrong end papers, or erroneous text on the back of a book (which has happened twice in the Dredd run; dear all designers, do NOT copy/paste from previous documents – start from blank boilerplates!), but when a selling feature is spine art, you cannot cock it up.

That said, I'd have more happily had no spine art for these, and the titles on the spines. Perhaps that would have resulted in more people cherry picking. Hard to tell. Actually, on that, is there anyone here would would NOT have subscribed/bought every issue if it wasn't for the spine art?

Tomwe

Quote from: Arkady on 03 January, 2018, 09:34:05 AM
Interesting, as I thought I'd read here that it was actually vol.19 that was the problem. Good of them to do it - must be an expensive mistake.
Yes- here's my comparison image again. See issue 5 is different on my shelf to that posted on the FB page
I have written a comment about this.

Tomwe

For those looking to reminisce on some Baikie artwork, FB have confirmed the SKIZZ book will be vol 45, issue 29 coming 26th September 2018, so quite a wait.

Arkady

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 03 January, 2018, 10:53:54 AM
I suppose with the spine, they've not really got any choice. It's one thing to have the wrong end papers, or erroneous text on the back of a book (which has happened twice in the Dredd run; dear all designers, do NOT copy/paste from previous documents – start from blank boilerplates!), but when a selling feature is spine art, you cannot cock it up.

That said, I'd have more happily had no spine art for these, and the titles on the spines. Perhaps that would have resulted in more people cherry picking. Hard to tell. Actually, on that, is there anyone here would would NOT have subscribed/bought every issue if it wasn't for the spine art?

Me. The spine art is a big part of the appeal for me. Without it I might well have cherry-picked particular issues or runs.

Arkady

Quote from: Tomwe on 03 January, 2018, 10:56:11 AM
Quote from: Arkady on 03 January, 2018, 09:34:05 AM
Yes- here's my comparison image again. See issue 5 is different on my shelf to that posted on the FB page
I have written a comment about this.

Amazing. Hopefully they don't reprint the wrong issue! Given the apparent lack of quality checks it doesn't seem out of the question.