Main Menu

***SPOILER-TASTIC Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith Thread***

Started by ukdane, 21 May, 2005, 02:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monarch

'd say that they should have CG'd Peter Cushing into the scene on the Star Destroyer,

I heard that was a cg cushing a very very bad cg cushing

Noisybast

"I heard that was a cg cushing..."

Nah, it was a bloke in makeup.

http://www.guerrestellari.it/gallery/images/altripersonaggi/104.jpg">

http://www.guerrestellari.it/gallery/images/altripersonaggi/105.jpg">

See?
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Bico

That looks freakish, and I'm actually surprised I missed it in the film proper.
Considering it was set twenty years before A New Hope, shouldn't he have looked more like Cushing circa Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, rather than Cushing circa Star Wars?

Tweak72

well what a good opening to the film so much so ill over look the poor parts as WHAT A FECKIN' COOL SPACE BATTLE
Jarr-Jarr WAS in ep. III but only quickly and also not being tortured painfully to death as i would of hoped (when anikin goes in to see Padme after the its your turn for glory talk fron obi Jarr-Jarr  is standing behind the chanceller and even sez "suce me" and not "isa been toturd helpsa me AGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!" but still cant have every thing
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

LARF

Oh

my

god...

Link: http://origami.iap-peacetree.org/jar_jar_2.php?lang=1" target="_blank">Jar Jar Origami

http://origami.iap-peacetree.org/images/myown/jar_jar_2/jar_jar_2.jpg">

Max Kon

erm.. Vader, as in in-vader?

that makes all the other lame names make sense (and sadly makes Vader a bit lame too) ops :(

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Max Kon

yeah, i know. i actually worked that out 12 hours after reading your post. it suddenly hit me, i made me sad to know that all the names were lame

Bico

Mace Windu - Mace Window.  Bwah-ha-ha-ha!

Matt Timson

Watched it last night and for the most part, enjoyed it I did (ho ho).

The opening sequence was fantastic, the loose ends were tied up reasonably satisfactorily and the acting was nowhere near as stilted as the last two films.

As already mentioned, Anakin seemed to turn a bit too easily for my liking.  One minute he's all about killing Palpatine- the next he's killing children on Palpatine's say-so.  It just didn't sit right with me, to be honest.  I think more time needed to pass, with Anakin getting progressively darker before turning.

The problem (as far as I can see it) is that the prequels have been all about Anakin becoming Darth Vader and for me, that process should really have begun in Episode II (and no- getting an attack of the mardies and butchering a bunch of Tusken Raiiders doesn't count).

Episodes I and II could have been condensed into one film and then the next two films could have dealt with Anakin turning and Palpatine taking power- possibly incorporating the storylines from the Clone Wars cartoon (which to my mind, was a lot more entertaining that either of the first two prequels).

Overall, I enjoyed it, but was faintly irritated during scenes when you wanted Anakin to behave in a certain way- such as not going to Palpatine's aid- but already knowing the outcome and that he's not going to do what you want him to.  It's a bit like when you watch a film you've seen before and you're willing one of the characters not to do something- even though you already know he does it.  Annoying.

On another note, I had to sit next to some sweaty bloke and I had fuck all leg room.  It was probably the most uncomfortable 2 1/2 hours of my life and I was pleased to reach the end credits for these reasons alone.

I'd watch it again- which is more than can be said for Episode I.
Pffft...

Matt Timson

Oh, and I didn't have a problem with the time frame for building the Death Stars either.  I imagine it WOULD take twenty years to build one- especially if you had all the time in the world to do it.

The second one looked like it still had a couple more year's work to go on it- and who's to say that construction hadn't already begun before the first one was destroyed?
Pffft...

Bad Andy

This Death star debate has got me thinking. Say Luke was 16 in Star Wars - that's 16 years to build the first death star.

At tops, ten years have elapsed between start of Star wars and Return of the Jedi. Ten years to build a space station that, as JEB points out, is not finished seems feasible.

And if there is some kind of official timeline that rains on this parade, I am not yet finished. Once you've built something, it is quicker to build it a second time, because you know how to do it. Just buy two wardrobes from IKEA and find out.  
You spend a lot of time dicking about with the first one and the second one goes up easy as pie (tip let your girlfriend have the first one).

And who is to say that there was not an almighty accident during the building of the first one that made them start from scratch? After all we have seen on two occasions that they are pretty volatile if it gets a photon torpedo in the wrong place.

Tweak72

and also whos to say you just need one death star? if theres four or five of the buggers floating around it going to be a lot easyer to keep order then just one. remeber its a big galaxy innit?
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Bico

Randal: So they build another Death Star, right?
Dante: Yeah.
Randal: Now the first one they built was completed and fully operational before the Rebels destroyed it.
Dante: Luke blew it up. Give credit where it's due.
Randal:And the second one was still being built when they blew it up.
Dante: Compliments of Lando Calrissian.
Randal: Something just never sat right with me the second time they destroyed it. I could never put my finger on it-something just wasn't right.
Dante: And you figured it out?
Randal: Well, the thing is, the first Death Star was manned by the Imperial army-storm troopers, dignitaries- the only people onboard were Imperials.
Dante: Basically.
Randal: So when they blew it up, no prob. Evil is punished.
Dante: And the second time around...?
Randal: The second time around, it wasn't even finished yet. They were still under construction.
Dante: So?
Randal: A construction job of that magnitude would require a helluva lot more manpower than the Imperial army had to offer. I'll bet there were independent contractors working on that thing: plumbers, aluminum siders, roofers.
Dante: Not just Imperials, is what you're getting at.
Randal: Exactly. In order to get it built quickly and quietly they'd hire anybody who could do the job. Do you think the average storm trooper knows how to install a toilet main? All they know is killing and white uniforms.
Dante: All right, so even if independent contractors are working on the Death Star, why are you uneasy with its destruction?
Randal: All those innocent contractors hired to do a job were killed- casualties of a war they had nothing to do with. (notices Dante's confusion) All right, look-you're a roofer, and some juicy government contract comes your way; you got the wife and kids and the two-story in suburbia-this is a government contract, which means all sorts of benefits. All of a sudden these left-wing militants blast you with lasers and wipe out everyone within a three-mile radius. You didn't ask for that. You have no personal politics. You're just trying to scrape out a living.
(The Blue-Collar Man (Thomas Burke) joins them.)
Blue-Collar Man: Excuse me. I don't mean to interrupt, but what were you talking about?
Randal: The ending of Return of the Jedi.
Dante: My friend is trying to convince me that any contractors working on the uncompleted Death Star were innocent victims when the space station was destroyed by the rebels.
Blue-Collar Man: Well, I'm a contractor myself. I'm a roofer... (digs into pocket and produces business card) Dunn and Reddy Home Improvements. And speaking as a roofer, I can say that a roofer's personal politics come heavily into play when choosing jobs.
Randal: Like when?
Blue-Collar Man: Three months ago I was offered a job up in the hills. A beautiful house with tons of property. It was a simple reshingling job, but I was told that if it was finished within a day, my price would be doubled. Then I realized whose house it was.
Dante: Whose house was it?
Blue-Collar Man: Dominick Bambino's.
Randal: "Babyface" Bambino? The gangster?
Blue-Collar Man: The same. The money was right, but the risk was too big. I knew who he was, and based on that, I passed the job on to a friend of mine.
Dante: Based on personal politics.
Blue-Collar Man: Right. And that week, the Foresci family put a hit on Babyface's house. My friend was shot and killed. He wasn't even finished shingling.
Randal: No way!
Blue-Collar Man: (paying for coffee) I'm alive because I knew there were risks involved taking on that particular client. My friend wasn't so lucky. (pauses to reflect) You know, any contractor willing to work on that Death Star knew the risks. If they were killed, it was their own fault. A roofer listens to this... (taps his heart) not his wallet.

Dan Kelly

According to various sites thrown up by google there are 4 years between Hope and Jedi.  And 19 years between Sith and Hope.

Granted it's quicker to build a second, but still...

Dan