Main Menu

One man's quest to get published.

Started by Christov, 22 November, 2009, 10:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christov

For around a year now I've been intrigued by the notion of writing comics. While writing itself is not my trade, I find it seeps into my regular work in multiple ways, so, being the jack of all trades that I am, I decided to take a crack at writing a comic. A Future Shock to be exact.

Usually, my writing was corralled into the stiff and rigid conforms of analytical writing, and occasionally prose and screenplays. Learning how to write a comic was an odd experience, but a task I adapted to quickly. Much like many of my other works however, I got halfway and decided it was the most puerile trash I'd ever written. Disheartened but not beaten, I tried again to varied success.

For months I have honed and refined this script, and now I finally have something I would be proud to call 'finished'. A tale of irony, loss, and woe. I have envelopes, I have a printed script and synopsis, I even have stamps, but I lack one thing. I haven't got the courage to post it. Do I fear rejection? Or maybe the long waiting period to hear of this rejection? Perhaps. I may even be afraid of it not being good enough for my own standards.

Alas, with an unsure heart and a steady hand, I shall post the script in the following week. Wish me luck gentlemen, for I need it more than I ever have done in my life.

locustsofdeath!

Good luck to you sir! I can relate - I've been tinkering with a Future Shock for months, but I figure instead of waiting 6-9 for a rejection, I'll simply fiddle with it until I feel it's perfect (now the fear of tinkering too much seeps in).

I'm sure several of the writers and artists on the board would read through it and give an honest opinion. I would for sure!

Happy posting in any case!

Kerrin

Christov

Thanks for the encouragement fellas.

I've thought about showing it to a few of the folks on here, but I don't want to be intrusive, so I opted against it.

Still, if and when I get my rejection letter, I'll gladly post it up for all to see. Maybe then I'll get enough feedback to improve future attempts.

Zarjazzer

You'll only know if it's good enough by submitting. You have nothing to lose (apart from a bit of pride and ususally the feedback can point you in the right direction) and potentially everything to gain.

Best of luck.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

mygrimmbrother

What Zarjazzer said - my brief relationship with the small press began in february - with a story submitted to Dogbreath that was turned down, but in such a nice, constructive way that it spurred me on. In the end I dropped that particular story, but the links I'd made and the advice I gained helped me finish two more which have since been accepted. Send it man, and best of luck to ye!

locustsofdeath!

Agreed, grimmbrother - the FQ boys are great at giving constructive crit. Bolt and his Lordship really made me feel as though they cared as much about my script as I did. Class guys.

Richmond Clements

That's because we're so fucking pleasant!

locustsofdeath!

Trout

Good luck!

I really miss the Pitchfest. HOUSE! ;D

locustsofdeath!

What was the pitchfest, oh King of Trouts? Sounds interesting.

Daveycandlish

Good luck with it Christov - and if it does come back don't lose heart just try again (or even try it on the small press). Every creative gets a rejection slip at some point - I've got a box file full of 'em!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Trout

Back in the heady days when 2000AD ran its own convention, the legendary, liver-destroying experience that was Dreddcon, a major part of it was Tharg's Pitchfest.

Writing hopefuls would take it in turns to pitch their ideas to a Betelgusian/droid panel, then have them picked apart in a polite, yet soul-destroying, manner. It would, of course, take place in front of a grinning audience. I miss it.

No, I never felt the need to pitch. :-D

- Trout

W. R. Logan

Maybe its because its early and I've been up for hours and still have another 5 hours before my shift finishes but here's my pearl of wisdom.
If you want to be a writer then write, submit and write some more.
If you feel the need to tell the message board you want to write then give up now.

COMMANDO FORCES