Main Menu

Han Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 22 October, 2016, 12:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

I'll watch it on telly on a rainy Sunday in 2019.

Take that Disney! You give me The Last Jedi, I give you Star Wars ennui.
Lock up your spoons!

SIP

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 29 May, 2018, 04:10:26 PM

Yeah, but the problem is that you might like it when you watch it on the TV in a couple of years and think "I would have liked to have seen the sequel to that".....but we won't get one because it's performing so badly.

A bit like "Dredd", where there are no end of comments from people saying "finally caught this on TV, wish I'd seen it in the cinema, why isn't there a sequel?".

Professor Bear

I hope this film's failure finally puts to bed the SJW delusion that a straight white male can carry an action or sci-fi movie.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: SIP on 29 May, 2018, 05:18:00 PM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 29 May, 2018, 04:10:26 PM

Yeah, but the problem is that you might like it when you watch it on the TV in a couple of years and think "I would have liked to have seen the sequel to that".....but we won't get one because it's performing so badly.

A bit like "Dredd", where there are no end of comments from people saying "finally caught this on TV, wish I'd seen it in the cinema, why isn't there a sequel?".

I'd rather live with the disappointment of never seeing another good Star Wars film - I did for 30 odd years - than have the disappointment of another insulting sequel.
Lock up your spoons!

radiator

It's pretty weird that Star Wars as a series now has more prequels than sequels...

Professor Bear

Or it's a paradigm of how backwards-looking it is as a property, constantly stripmining the same narrow period of continuity even as it hollowly professes to be moving past it.

Colin YNWA

Took the kids today and they both declared it GREAT - but not as good as Last Jedi, which seems a fair summary.

Its fun superfluous fluff and an absolute blast, but really didn't give us anything we didn't expect... well except someone [spoiler]red and dead [/spoiler]popping up at the end there (well I know [spoiler]Maul[/spoiler] has appeared in one of the cartoons but I'm surprised and never quite sure how?). Anyway there was a moment at the end when [spoiler]Lando scarpered[/spoiler] I thought they'd made a really bold decision and left a nice open space. Then they decide to add that [spoiler]card game[/spoiler] at the end and another door closes.

Mind having whined about fan service and pointless detailing of things we know I was really rather pleasently surprised with the bit where Han gets [spoiler]christened Solo,[/spoiler] that was really rather cute and fun.

At the end of the day its also a mystery to me why this film stretched to over 2hr 15 mins there was just no need and it seemed weird to cramp so much into this one story of his origin... some could have been left for the later films... though of course if the internet knowledgable types are to be believed these ain't happening now so its a good job they cramped it all in here I suppose!

Professor Bear

If it had been shorter, it would have cost much less to make, which would have meant it would have needed to take much less to break even, which would have made it a success already.  "For want of a nail" and all that.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Professor Bear on 30 May, 2018, 09:12:52 PM
If it had been shorter, it would have cost much less to make, which would have meant it would have needed to take much less to break even, which would have made it a success already.  "For want of a nail" and all that.

If they hadn't decided to fire the directors and reshoot an alleged 70% of the movie, it would also have cost a lot less...

(No judgement either way from me on that decision with respect to how the finished movie would have come out. I enjoyed it a lot, so maybe they should just have gone with a safer pair of hands to start with...)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

matty_ae

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 30 May, 2018, 09:04:07 PM
it seemed weird to cramp so much into this one story of his origin... some could have been left for the later films... though of course if the internet knowledgable types are to be believed these ain't happening now so its a good job they cramped it all in here I suppose!

Oh man. I loved that they ticked every Han box all in one movie. I've seen so many TV series that take ages to get to the origin... of the story... of the start... where it all began... tease tease (Gotham I'm looking at you) if I go to the cinema I want to see it all. Not saying it was a classic but it was a pretty generous serving.

SIP

I think it was a really solid effort and if it had come out 2 years ago I'm sure it would have done a lot better. Unfortunately, it's following on from such a wave of Star wars disharmony created by last jedi that it was doomed from last December.

I love the ridiculous speculation on "why is it failing?" that seems to now be circulating, from "troubled production" (does anyone really believe that 99% of the cinema going public have the first clue about this being a troubled production?) to the latest absurdity, "only new star wars films with a female lead are successful".

They pissed off a lot of the star wars hardcore, so the fan boys who would have seen this 10 times have decided not to. I'm sure this would have underperformed last jedi anyway as it's more niche, but they have lost a fair slice.of box office takings by upsetting half the people who would go and see a star wars film multiple times.

I'm going again tomorrow because it was a fun star wars romp.  Hopefully the other fans will see it now that the "opening weekend" is out of the way, and it's drop off rate will hopefully be an improvement over last jedi.

SIP

At what point do you think lucasfilm will announce that the proposed "Rian Johnson trilogy" will be cancelled? I'd bet my lunch money on it.

At this point, Lucasfilm needs to stop and think about its approach.

Though I don't agree with the ridiculous wave of hatred that's been spouted for the last 5 months from a large portion of the star wars community, it's fairly obvious that the falling merchandise sales and underperformance of solo are at least  in some part due to the displeasure around last jedi, though it's difficult to quantify how much.

Lucasfilm approach so far, from Kathleen Kennedy, Abrams, Johnson and Kasdan junior  appears to have been to tell the people who didn't like their last film that they were small minded bigots/sexists. Johnson just reiterates that "he had to do his own thing"........I feel like they have lost sight of the fact that it's a global franchise, and though they should endeavour to be inventive and ground breaking, it maybe was not a good idea to take those steps with beloved original trilogy characters.

I wonder if the star wars franchise would have been in a far better place right now if they'd have just left the old timers completely out of it......I wish they had.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SIP on 31 May, 2018, 04:25:40 PM
I think it was a really solid effort and if it had come out 2 years ago I'm sure it would have done a lot better. Unfortunately, it's following on from such a wave of Star wars disharmony created by last jedi that it was doomed from last December.

I can't understand the logic of putting it out against Infinity War and Deadpool 2. They don't have a Star Wars movie to put out this Christmas, and the only 'big' release I'm seeing listed for December so far is, umm, Aquaman...? No idea why they didn't hold this to the end of the year.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

SIP

I agree entirely, Christmas would have been a lot better to avoid some of the reported "star wars fatigue".

I would love to be a fly on the wall at the next board meeting between Disney and Lucasfilm. I'm sure it would start with a Disney exec stating "We are trying to make money here you know". When you've got that much of an existing customer base who are usually falling over themselves to give you their money, they must be scratching their heads as to why it's being botched so badly.