Main Menu

...NEW 'LIFE ON MARS' TONIGHT. 9pm BBC 1...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 13 February, 2007, 06:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

Who knows Avdenturer, the U.S. version may string it out for longer!

The Adventurer

I'm not sure how interested I'll be in the US version. It's possible that part of Life on Mars's appeal to me is it's "exotic" location. I mean, I know New York City, or whatever US city they pick for the US version, but I don't know Manchester(it is set in Manchester right? I don't think the show has explicitly stated where it's set but I thought I picked up Manchester along the way somewhere) or the culture of the UK in the 1970s. So its really more of a contemporary fantasy show for me.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Dark Jimbo

i wonder also if anyone outwith the age group who experienced the different world of the 70's get into it ? my kids arent that enthused, guess all the anacronisms (sp?) are lost on them.

I grew up in the late 80s/early 90s, but still love the show's little seventies tributes and throwbacks. There's no nostalgia factor of course, but that doesn't stop me from appreciating things like the beautifully done Camberwick Green homage.

I love watching the old Ealing films for their evocation of a lost 50's Britian, even though I obviously never lived back then, and the principle with LOM is much the same. I don't think you had to have expierienced the 70's to enjoy LOM, but it probably adds a whole extra level of affection.
@jamesfeistdraws