Main Menu

Why is 2000AD and the Meg so childish?

Started by GeraldBostock, 10 March, 2004, 02:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeraldBostock

I hadn't read 2000AD since I was 14, 12 years ago so when I subscribed recently to the Megazine I assumed it would have moved on somewhat in those 12 years. Last months Meg was promising but this months is very disappointing. The Anderson story was good, with excellent artwork, but the rest wasn't up to much. The chess story was just childish, with comic-like art, as was the Cookie story. 2000AD and the Meg aren't moving with the times, they are aiming the stories apparently at children rather than adults. Batman started to change years ago and got darker and more realistic - Dredd seems to have gone the other way. Has there ever been a Dredd graphic novel ONLY for adults, i.e. with an age rating? Isn't it about time Rebellion started to use the characters to try and reach the ADULT comic fans who enjoy the more realistic stories?
Am I the only one who thinks this? Do people over 25 really still enjoy reading things like Cookie and Master Moves? Wouldn't you rather see something even a little more mature like Batman's "Killing Joke"? Couldn't they aim 2000AD at adults and the Meg at kids/everyone? I don't want to subscribe to a magazine which I can only enjoy half of the stories, while feeling frankly embarrassed to be reading something like Cookie with it's Whizzer and Chips style art.

The Amstor Computer

I'm tired, and frankly, I can't really be bothered with writing too much, so:

"2000AD and the Meg aren't moving with the times, they are aiming the stories apparently at children rather than adults"

What "times" are these? The "times" that say that comics should all aim at a perceived adult readership? Nice way to kill the medium...

I disagree that 2000AD/Meg are doing this anyway, but onto:

"Has there ever been a Dredd graphic novel ONLY for adults, i.e. with an age rating?"

AFAIK, no. The only thing that comes close is the out-of-print Heavy Metal Dredd collection. Not a great example...

"Isn't it about time Rebellion started to use the characters to try and reach the ADULT comic fans who enjoy the more realistic stories?"

No. There are plenty of "realistic" comics out there, and I don't see why 2000AD should try and cater to a market that is, if anything, oversaturated already.

" Am I the only one who thinks this?"

Possibly ;-)

"Do people over 25 really still enjoy reading things like Cookie and Master Moves?"

Well, I'm 24 & I loved both. Maybe when I turn 25 I'll change my mind, but I can't see any reason why I should. The two tales were light-hearted, entertaining short stories with absolutely gorgeous art.

"Wouldn't you rather see something even a little more mature like Batman's "Killing Joke"?"

Well, if a good "mature" strip that suits the 2000AD mold comes along, I'd be delighted to see it (just as I was delighted to read all three Button Man stories). In the meantime, I've got plenty of other "mature" comics to read outside 2000AD.

"Couldn't they aim 2000AD at adults and the Meg at kids/everyone?"

I'd quite like to see an "all-ages" approach in 2000AD (after all, this was the same approach that gave us classics like Halo Jones...) with the Meg left as it is, but IMO, both comics are working pretty damn well at the moment, and I'd be loathe to see them fucked about.

"I don't want to subscribe to a magazine which I can only enjoy half of the stories"

Then don't. If you don't enjoy it, don't buy it. Life's too short to spend it reading something you don't enjoy, or to come here and complain about it.

maj

Way I see it 2000AD was always aimed at children (except I saw on ebay 2000AD attempted an 'adult' title a few yrs back).

We need adult titles? I'm 24 as well, but I still enjoyed a number of movies aimed at 'children'- Toy Story 1&2,  Beauty and the Beast, Empire Strikes back etc, and a number of books aimed at younger audiences- Dark Materials trilogy, Ender's Game to name but 2. Just because a title is aimed at younger audiences doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed by adults.

The dark knight has gotten darker since the '70s but be honest- there aren't that many titles in its line that are designated 'Mature Readers only' - let's see The Cult, The Killing Joke, possibly Arkham Asylum and DKR.

Be honest- you don't want mature audiences only titles (look at the recently defunct Marvel Max line), you just want a darker take on Dredd rather than the campy satirical robocope-esque Dredd you see every week. If I'm brutally honset, I'd like to see one or two stories in this direction as well along with a few other styles of writing entertained, but I'd still like a reasonable proportion of 'black humour' Dredd as well.

W. R. Logan

>I don't want to subscribe to a magazine which I can only enjoy half of the stories, while feeling frankly embarrassed to be reading something like Cookie with it's Whizzer and Chips style art.

I think the megazines the best it?s ever been and I?m in my 30?s. If you don?t enjoy it cancel your order but for me it?s the highlight of the month.

La Placa Rifa,
http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79/>W. R. Logan.

http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79/images/Co79_logo.gif>

Generally Contrary

I don't know, what do you mean by adult?  'Adult' and 'Mature Readers' tags don't mean they actualy take an adult view of the world, simply that they might offend the parents of child readers.

I think that a lot of 2000AD and the Megazine are adult in the best sense, in that they are intelligently written, often using innovative art.  And they are playfully childish in the best sense too.  

Of course, that it the best of the stories.  Some are childish in the worst sense, in that they are seemingly written for stupid people (or by stupid people).  And some are adult in the worst sense, attempting to titillate with sex and violence.  Some combine both.

Happily, I do happen to believe that 2000AD and the Megazine is on a high, content wise, at the moment.

Woolly

Theres been plenty of dark Dredd stories anyway, and plenty that are written with adult readers in mind.
Maybe not allways in their immediate theme, but in the quality of the writing or the style of the art.
(Id come up with examples, but im tired and cant be arsed!)

Personally, i like the way that 2000AD and the Meg mix this with more, (for want of a better way of putting it), family oriented strips.
After all, i dont want to be an adult 24 hours a day! ;)

Out of interest, GB, what did you think of Judge Dredd - LOTF?

Woolly

"After all, i dont want to be an adult 24 hours a day! ;)"

I dont mean that in a kinky sex kind of way, either! :$http://www.chapman.rockbottom.btinternet.co.uk/bonfirenight/pro18.jpg">

DavidXBrunt

You know, I'd be interested in your response to next months lead story in the Meg. If it's anything like the last Cursed Earth story from the Wagner and Ridgeway team ('Radlander' from the end of V4) then it might be more to your taste.

For the record I really enjoyed both stories you mentioned. 'Master Moves' is a great story that I think will stand the test of time. The art on both stories was exceptional.

Floyd-the-k

For mine, it`s better to have stories which are a bit of fun, like the Cookie story, than stories which bust a gut trying to be adult and only succeed in looking pseudy, as sometimes happens.
  Was the Andersen story adult enough for you? I think that was non-childish without pretension

yours 41andenjoyingtheMegane

Floyd

Queen Firey-Bou

i just asked one of my children, is 2000ad & the megazine childish. They said no.

especially the stim bed, not that i showed them that scene... mummy whys that lady got pipes stuck to her nipples & her hand between her legs?

stront692

"2000AD and the Meg aren't moving with the times, they are aiming the stories apparently at children rather than adults"

2000ad has sadly lost touch with its golden years, i think things are planned too far ahead now - even when EGMONT was in control u got the impression they were scrambling around trying to look for something new or make something they already had look decent but they just werent succeeding on a tight budget

maybe its bcos REBELLION are used to computer games where hype is built up and release dates slip but a lot of the stories are mentioned in advance rarely living up to expectations

the american comics market is aimed at 14 to 24 year olds and established readers (some of whom are 40 plus), 2000ad seems to be aimed at a whoever it is aimed at???

things used to move so much quicker, a new story could appear and blow u away - that doesnt happen very often anymore

"Has there ever been a Dredd graphic novel ONLY for adults, i.e. with an age rating?"

ANDERSON is quite mature and thats about as close as it gets - DEVLIN WAUGH was quite good but im not sure how popular, there is the odd tale but as a rule dredd has become an in-joke, i never him up until the mid 80s and then they did a lot of work on him now hes just always been there, he is actually a walk on role to the supporting cast as hes a 2d character and any attempts to flesh him out are rarely acknwledged

"Isn't it about time Rebellion started to use the characters to try and reach the ADULT comic fans who enjoy the more realistic stories?"

u have to be careful with the word 'adult' in comics as it doesnt always mean what u think, a lot of dross carries this banner - the usa market is speculation led but 2000ad is standing alone in a market of 1, there is no competition, it can do anything it wants - there is no battle, eagle or anthing

" Am I the only one who thinks this?"

i would like to see better stories but sadly writers like to flesh out simple ideas these days, im not sure if they are paid less but 2000ad is rarely their best work and they are still poached by america - ever more frequently in fact

"Do people over 25 really still enjoy reading things like Cookie and Master Moves?"

i didnt, not really but posting dissent on this board creates a funny reaction

"Wouldn't you rather see something even a little more mature like Batman's "Killing Joke"?"

yep, but alan moores retired

"Couldn't they aim 2000AD at adults and the Meg at kids/everyone?"

it has traditionally been aimed at everyone, although i think its a testament to charleys war that a 12 year old strip has made the new material alongside it look like filler in comparison, there has definitely been a gradual dumbing down since prog 600 onwards with few mega epics after that, the ones after 900 dont seem to have a point to them - we havent had many stories like halo jones in the years since, it just depends if its worth your while waiting for a few years till the next the last was probably snow/tiger, a love like blood and carver hale - as usual none were very well received but then neither was halo first time around

"I don't want to subscribe to a magazine which I can only enjoy half of the stories"

i have stopped my subscription so they cant get away with fobbing me off with filler like the autumn offensive again

Floyd-the-k

changing the thread slightly...there was a serious novel about Tintin a few years back. Did anyone here read it?
 WOuld such a novel about Dredd be popular? Not just a novel-of-the-comic, but a long thoughtful novel? It`s an interesting thought.

stront692

well - i did quite like the DARE 4 parter that appeared in MREVOLVER and MONSTER books a few years back

but it was only good bcos it was really different to everyhting before, i dont think id like a permanent like that (and it wasnt oustandingly brill, just a little bit good)

therev

Got to say the Cookie story this month was shite.
Sorry it STUNK.
Could have been quite good, after all the premis is amusing but the script was dull and lifless.

Love the artwork though!
Can't remember his name but LOVED the Dr.Who bithday story he did a couple of years ago with the Biege Guardian.

Got to go, new baby crying!

Satanist

Is 2000AD childish?Probably yes,and thats why I enjoy it.
For half an hour each week I get to regress and visit childhood chums like Dredd,Stronty and Rogue.
I also read the more "adult" comics such as The Unfunnies,100 Bullets and Y the last man and very much enjoy them, but for me thats not 2000AD or the MEG's job.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?