Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpetsnaZ99

wasnt D.R. and Quinch a reference to the classic Quincy M.E.
You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.

TordelBack

Quote from: SpetsnaZ99 on 11 January, 2012, 09:03:32 AM
wasnt D.R. and Quinch a reference to the classic Quincy M.E.

I had thought it was just a copyright-dodging variation on O.C. and Stiggs,but you might well be on to something there... DR Quinch, E. E.?

SuperSurfer

Venus Bluegenes didn't go over my head but I can't help thinking of her when I listen to 'Dirty Blue Gene' by the late great Captain Beefheart:

"She's not bad
She's just genetically mean"

ICONIC_TM

Wasnt D.R. & Quinch
More A Play On  Hitchhikers What With Planet Makers Getting Bored and using Land Masses
For Spelling Out Something Rude That Got Them The Sack From There Job In The First Place
Plus Very Very Very Loud Interstellar FunkRock Bit Like Daff Punk

Hitchhikers Is A Play On Asimov Foundation Stuff As Far As I UnderStand Anyway?

Emperor

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 09 January, 2012, 11:47:57 AM
We had a thread about this a few years ago, but it's always nice to see if any new ones pop up.

Probably this one, in which Adrian Bamforth asks for an explanation of Slavers of Drule, proof that history is cyclical:

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,22044.0.html
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: Emperor on 11 January, 2012, 04:07:04 PM
We had a thread about this a few years ago, but it's always nice to see if any new ones pop up.

Probably this one, in which Adrian Bamforth asks for an explanation of Slavers of Drule, proof that history is cyclical:

I was thinking of this one.
http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,25403.msg437632#msg437632

SBT

Colin Zeal

The reason why Dry Run got printed went over my head.

Adrian Bamforth

Where would I be if my goofs weren't studiously recorded for the ages.

I never really made the connection between Kiss my Axe!/Kiss my a** - I guess because it just sounds so good as a catchphrase on it's own.

I was always amused by the Dredd story Down on Sausage Tree Farm (Down on Jollity Farm) - proof that the best punnery is not the most accurate, but the most tenuous.

TordelBack

Brilliant!  There's something I keep asking about on this forum, which I naturally can't remember at the moment (or ever), and every time I do someone reminds me that I've asked the same question n+1 times before, and had it answered each time... -sigh-

ICONIC_TM

Irish Pies Are Smiling!
Bet Youll Find Some Gems In Cal Hab Also After Lessons In Rab C Nesbitt Speek!

Emperor

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 January, 2012, 06:36:00 PM

Brilliant!  There's something I keep asking about on this forum, which I naturally can't remember at the moment (or ever), and every time I do someone reminds me that I've asked the same question n+1 times before, and had it answered each time... -sigh-

Sadly, we all know what you are talking about but refuse to link to previous examples, as you'll forget, ask about it and we can then link back here where you've forgotten what it was the question always is.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

SuperSurfer

I suppose the first stage of dealing with a problem is accepting that you have a problem.

"Dan Abnett on Puns and Triumff
People often come up to me and say, "Dan, do people really come up to you?" Also, they ask what it is with me and puns. Call me paranomasiac, but I love 'em, god help me. Homophonic puns, homonymic puns, homographic puns, Homer Simpson puns, I can't get enough. I love graphological puns and morphological puns, logical puns and illogical puns, polysemic puns and metonymic puns, old school puns and current puns and, at the risk of fracturing myself, I love compound puns. I can't have too many multiple puns and as for double entendres, woof! get a load of the double entendres on that, if you know what I mean. I enjoy a good feghoot and adore a fine eggcorn. Recursive puns have made me swear more than once. I like big loud puns like the Puns of Navarone, I like hard rocking puns like Puns and Roses, and I like quiet, relaxing puns like a late Punday afternoon in high summer."

http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2010/08/guest_post_dan_abnett_on_puns_and_triumff/

He's a pun shark. Geddit? I'll get me coat.

SpetsnaZ99

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 11 January, 2012, 02:05:09 PM
Venus Bluegenes didn't go over my head but I can't help thinking of her when I listen to 'Dirty Blue Gene' by the late great Captain Beefheart:

"She's not bad
She's just genetically mean"

I allways thought Venus Bluegenes was an amalgam of Velvet Underground and David Bowie

Venus in Furs and Blue Jean/The Jean Genie
You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.

TordelBack

Quote from: SpetsnaZ99 on 12 January, 2012, 10:40:03 AM
I allways thought Venus Bluegenes was an amalgam of Velvet Underground and David Bowie

Venus in Furs and Blue Jean/The Jean Genie

'Venus in Blue Jeans', by Jimmy Clanton, shirely?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsfzLZl17QE