Main Menu

Judge Dredd - False Witness (IDW)

Started by Colin YNWA, 20 June, 2020, 09:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Anyone read this. IDW mini by Brandon Easton and Kei Zama - two creators I don't really know at all. Its a bloomin' good read.

Dredd takes a bit of a back seat as we get a Vegaesque lead drive the story. An ex Cadet carrying what he thinks are sex drugs, but turn out to be something much more sinister indeed. Its got some interesting ideas bubbling away and I like the way he uses Dredd - even if some bit might make folks prickle I think he does a pretty good Joe. All in all a brisk and decent read. Not 100% on the art but its far from terrible. If this one keeps up like this could be one of the best IDW have done.

dweezil2

Yeah, really enjoyed #1 and eagerly waiting for #2 to drop!

Fabulous art too!!!! :thumbsup:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

BPP

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 June, 2020, 09:24:20 PM
Anyone read this. IDW mini by Brandon Easton and Kei Zama - two creators I don't really know at all. Its a bloomin' good read.

Dredd takes a bit of a back seat as we get a Vegaesque lead drive the story. An ex Cadet carrying what he thinks are sex drugs, but turn out to be something much more sinister indeed. Its got some interesting ideas bubbling away and I like the way he uses Dredd - even if some bit might make folks prickle I think he does a pretty good Joe. All in all a brisk and decent read. Not 100% on the art but its far from terrible. If this one keeps up like this could be one of the best IDW have done.

After years of buying their floppies I gave up and decided to tradewait - is it 2000ad-verse Dredd, IDW series 1-verse Dredd or that weird old-man beard Dredd?
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

dweezil2

Quote from: BPP on 21 June, 2020, 12:35:59 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 June, 2020, 09:24:20 PM

Is it 2000ad-verse Dredd, IDW series 1-verse Dredd or that weird old-man beard Dredd?

All three probably!!!!  :lol:

It's still a good read though!   :thumbsup:

Leigh S

Having been prematurely enthusiastic about "Toxic", just read part 2 of this and it seems to have all the same problems - a stodgy Traffic Warden Dredd, a magical group of underclass types, some Trumpish characters and their followers  stirring up unrest without being shut down....

Not loving this and i thiink i'm going to call it a day on IDW Dredd.  it's like someone said "you remember those DC Dredds? Learn nothing from them"

broodblik

For some reason the Americans just do not understand Dredd
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

They refuse to wear masks and point loaded guns at their dicks, so I'm not really surprised.

dweezil2

Quote from: Leigh S on 15 August, 2020, 04:34:00 PM
Having been prematurely enthusiastic about "Toxic", just read part 2 of this and it seems to have all the same problems - a stodgy Traffic Warden Dredd, a magical group of underclass types, some Trumpish characters and their followers  stirring up unrest without being shut down....

Not loving this and i thiink i'm going to call it a day on IDW Dredd.  it's like someone said "you remember those DC Dredds? Learn nothing from them"

I thought the first issue was a pretty good scene setter, which makes the downturn in quality with #2 all the more disappointing.

Hopefully Anderson in #3 can liven things up a bit.

Nice art though.

Colin YNWA

Well have to say I agree. 1 go set up. 2 dipped and seemed to move this into place it just didn't need to go and 3... well actually 3 was really good. It moved the story big in the direction I hoped it would. Was tense and exciting. I found I once again cared about the protaganist, not Joe but Mathis Lincoln and all in all some nice interesting revalations and a solid set up for the conclusion.

Maybe all 2 did was prove that sometimes these 4 issue mini seem over padded as we are so used to tighter stories. Like the second episode of a Doctor Who some running around corridors, escaping just to be recaptured to stretch the the time and budget. Here its the story idea. Either way well back on track. So now we need to see how it manages to landing.

PsychoGoatee

Plenty of Americans get Dredd. Please stop with the generalizing xenophobic posts. I don't like IDW's stuff either.

Quote from: Richard on 15 August, 2020, 05:29:03 PM
They refuse to wear masks and point loaded guns at their dicks, so I'm not really surprised.
. It's disheartening when this stuff is said on here. needless to say, there are plenty of states and even without those different ways things are being handled. Millipns of people don't fit your description.

We're all people, there are comic reading (of writing) nerd leaning people not too dissimilar from you across the pond! There are fans and people with different perspectives than other people in their area etc, and it doesn't sound like you're that informed here. I live in a more liberal coastal US state myself, but I sure don't expect to have to explain any of this when reading about comics to unwind.

PsychoGoatee

Pardon the typos. I'm just saying, treat people well.

broodblik

I think the problem with American comic book writers are that they are so use to reboot and re-imaging of characters that they are tending to make the character their own and in the case of Dredd these changes never worked. IDW in most cases the Dredd stories they published never really worked.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Leigh S on 15 August, 2020, 04:34:00 PM

True, This seems to be the Dredd that most non-Dredd writers come up with when given the reins, you could set up a Dredd Bingo card!
DDT did a job on me

GordonR

Yes, but American readers don't seem interested in Dredd, whether he's written by his original creator or by some of the biggest names in comics (Mark Millar, Garth Ennis) so it might not be the worst idea in the world to get American writers to slightly rework the character and world to make it more appealing to American readers.

Whether this works or not, the point is that it's probably not really meant for the people on this board.

IndigoPrime

Although it was interesting to see the Near Mint Condition guy do his Dredd video on some of the early Case Files. He'd never read any Dredd, but — bar some of the ropey early strips — ended up really loving it. Quite a few comments under that video saw people saying they'd always meant to read Dredd, but needed a nudge, and had also never really known where to start. It'll be interesting to see whether the Essentials line helps with that. (The Case Files in theory should have, but that first book is, arguably, a bit shit these days. There's a good reason people tend to suggest new readers start around vol 3 or 4.)