Main Menu

Etiquette...

Started by The Doctor Alt 8, 20 February, 2014, 09:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Doctor Alt 8

I have invited a friend of mine to a meal at my home.

I offered him a choice of two main dishes...

Is it polite to eat the same or can I eat the other choice I offered?

locustsofdeath!

A true friend wouldn't care. Don't stress it and eat what you want.

NapalmKev

Eat whatever you want and try not to worry about it. Relax enjoy yourself.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

Ancient Otter

Is it much extra work to make the second dish for yourself?

ZenArcade

Eat the other dish: glower from under your eyes at him and generally look put out all evening....the time'll just fly by. :o
Just kidding, he won't mind in the slightest. Z :)
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

I, Cosh

Neau. Aye eff neaut beaught etiquette but aye deau neaut entend to desembarque jusqu'a Leicester Square.
We never really die.

The Doctor Alt 8

Quote from: The Cosh on 20 February, 2014, 10:54:25 PM
Neau. Aye eff neaut beaught etiquette but aye deau neaut entend to desembarque jusqu'a Leicester Square.

Pardon? My Babblefish has died! :o

The Doctor Alt 8

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 20 February, 2014, 10:27:21 PM
Is it much extra work to make the second dish for yourself?
[/quote ]

Not that much more work.

That is If he turns up. He did suggest that he takes me out instead... As it would half his travelling  .. But I don't want him wasting his money on me.

Bat King

Nothing wrong with cooking two different dishes. In a restaurant this is considered normal.  You offered both dishes, that was where etiquette was required and fulfilled.

The same applies with liquid refreshment. You may like a pint of Stella and he might want a Vimto, all good.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

The Enigmatic Dr X

It may be prudent not to mention you asked for guidance from a forum of comic book nerds.
Lock up your spoons!

Dunk!

It's not what you eat it's what cutlery you use to eat it with.

Are you using the right fish fork/dessert spoon/butter knife?

How that would be embarrassing.
"Trust we"

Montynero

I'd eat the same. It's simpler and it avoids the potential for misunderstanding. (Is your meal "better" than theirs? Have they put you to extra trouble?) And sharing the experience is the point of spending time together.

TordelBack

Quote from: Montynero on 21 February, 2014, 09:30:39 AMAnd sharing the experience is the point of spending time together.

Inclined to agree here.  It's a different situation where you have several guests and one is veggie or coeliac or somesuch, and you produce a separate dish for them, but when it's just the two of you, sharing does strike me as the order of the day.

Bottom line though, don't stress about nonsense like etiquette and protocal (as long as you can speak Bocce and the language of vaporators), do what you like and enjoy your evening.

Trout

I'm very interested to hear how this goes.  :)