Main Menu

2000ad movie snippets

Started by Colin YNWA, 15 November, 2011, 08:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

CBR are running a news story quoting Jason Kingsley saying that two 2000ad strips are currently in negotiations in Hollywood. This has been linked back to the Rogue Trooper rumours a while back.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35473

I'm assuming the other isn't Buttonman as that already optioned (and creator owned) so Strontium Dog would be the obvious choice, or given Conan and fantasy is in the air at the moment maybe Slaine, or maybe... oh wild speculation gotta love it!

Either way interesting tit bit

COMMANDO FORCES

This can only be good for The House of Tharg  :thumbsup:

vzzbux

Quote"Rogue Trooper" follows a genetically engineered soldier who decides to break off from his squad and fight his own battles on an alien planet

From CBR that odd for them to get it wrong.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

JOE SOAP

It's Maniac 5 and Urban Strike.

JOE SOAP

Just in case anyone gets excited, the negotiations are in 'Hollywood'.

Dandontdare

I suppose Terry Gilliam's Indigo Prime is too much to hope for.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Blimey, I wonder which one the other property is ? I don't think it would be Strontium Dog as he's familiar to us but not I think the great mass of the rest of the Planet. Shame really. Surely there's a great Stronty story to be told.

Wonder if they are going to have another stab at Tank Girl? After all Hollywood loves remakes.

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

vzzbux

Tank Girl isn't Rebellion. My money is on SD. I would say Firekind but that has already been done.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Could Alec Worleys Age of the Wolf  be in with a shout?

Werewolf's [and Vampires] seem pretty popular amongst the younger generation thanks to the Twilight  Movie series. Maybe some Hollywood flunky saw something in it that he felt would interest a studio.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Goosegash

Maybe it's that Nikolai Dante movie that was optioned in 1997. Yeah I know, I can dream.

radiator

Tbh, I really don't see that many 2000ad properties working as movies. I think with things like Strontium Dog and Nikolai Dante, they are so quirky that so much would have to be changed for them to work on screen that they would end up bearing very little resemblance to the source material.

One that I think could be great if done well is Kingdom, ideally as a trilogy of cgi animations. Gene would make for a really engaging and memorable screen character, the story is simple but original. There is plenty of scope for merchandising it, and as most of the violence is just essentially giant bugs getting squished it could be aimed at a much younger audience than the likes of Dredd and Button Man. The relationship between the lead human character and their 'dog' is a great hook that could pull in a wide audience, and there would also be plenty of scope for insanely cool fight scenes.

James Stacey

I disagree Radiator. During my recent re-read of Dante, it struck me how good a movie or series of movies it would make.

Spaceghost

I know it's extremely unlikely but; please be Nemesis. Or failing that, Shakara.

My top choice would be Bad Company. That would make an excellent film.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

radiator

An ambitious fantasy action movie with lashings of sex and violence set in a resurgent Imperial Russia? And a Russia that is a fusion of past and future that blends the aristocracy and noble duels with nanotechnology and superheroics. Sorry, don't see a US/UK audience going for that at all.

The very first thing a movie producer would do would be to try and change the setting to America - or at the least make Dante himself an American. It would be like what they're currently doing to Akira. The second thing they would do would be to ensure the movie was a watered down, 12A version of the comic.

The comic is a tough sell as it is, let alone a big budget blockbuster (and it would require a HUGE budget).

I've always thought Dante would make for a fantastic videogame though. If you think about his abilities, he would make a perfect game avatar.

James Stacey

Ah fair point. I was thinking how well it would work if made. Not the likelihood of it making it through the Hollywood cookie cutter. Possibly me being naiive