Main Menu

2000ad movie snippets

Started by Colin YNWA, 15 November, 2011, 08:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Ha, fair enough - yeah I was thinking more in terms of how likely it would be to get made in the first place - what sort of budget it would require, could it attract an audience etc? Perhaps I should have been clearer in my previous post - there are very few series that I could see actually being made - much as I would love to see movies based on Dante, Stront etc.

I suspect there is a lot riding on Dredd, if that film succeeds (which is very much uncertain at this point) I expect it will turn into a bit of a feeding frenzy, with many series getting snapped up, no matter how suitable they are for adaptation.

Leviathan would make a great film/miniseries in the right hands.

IndigoPrime

Probably worth noting that Button Man's been in development hell for years. So the two could easily be Button Man (which we already knew about) and Rogue Trooper (which Morrison recently spoke of).

brendan1

Quote from: radiator on 16 November, 2011, 10:17:34 AM
Ha, fair enough - yeah I was thinking more in terms of how likely it would be to get made in the first place - what sort of budget it would require, could it attract an audience etc? Perhaps I should have been clearer in my previous post - there are very few series that I could see actually being made - much as I would love to see movies based on Dante, Stront etc.

I suspect there is a lot riding on Dredd, if that film succeeds (which is very much uncertain at this point) I expect it will turn into a bit of a feeding frenzy, with many series getting snapped up, no matter how suitable they are for adaptation.

Leviathan would make a great film/miniseries in the right hands.

I agree that there's a ton of AD material that would make great films/ TV shows, but only Dredd has the cachet to drive interest on his recognisable name/ reputation. And even that isn't going to deliver the numbers required for a BO hit.

It would simply be somebody who is a fan of the source material deciding to that it would make a great film. But the type of film is obviously crucial.

About 1% of the people who watched Road To Perdition, A History Of Violence and From Hell had read the source material, or even knew they existed in comic form. Perdition had a decent budget and delivered various awards, but the latter two were more modest and From Hell had a big star and a fairly well known story anyway. But all three had some recognisable cinematic tropes: gangsters, Jack The Ripper, hitmen trying to live a decent life.

So it would be pretty unlikely that something like Dante, Shakara or Nemesis would get Hollywood or anyone else that excited. They're utterly fucking bizarre and would cost soooooo much money to make.

Molch-R

Spaceghost

Bet it's Bad Company. It's tailor made for the film treatment. It's a self contained story with plenty of action, the mystery of the 'black box' plot running throughout, colourful characters, war zombies, a sympathetic narrator for the audience to identify with.

Also, it could be toned down sufficiently to bring the budget into managable limits whilst still retaining all the essential ingredients that make it brilliant.

Do it Rebellion, DO IT!!!
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Molch-R on 16 November, 2011, 12:07:19 PM
It's not Button Man.
Well, that makes this guessing far more interesting, then!

Looking at 2000 AD properties and there's a lot of stuff I'd dearly love to see on screen, but that wouldn't be commercially viable (Nikolai Dante, Swimming in Blood), and so it'll be interesting to discover what possible movies are in the works and also how much the strip will change. (After all, some adaptations in Hollywood are quite straight but some barely resemble the original material and are little more than a name to drape over a production.)

I suspect Sláine could work nicely, as shown by that Spanish clip a whole back, as would many of the future war strips. Strontium Dog would, for me, be better off on TV, but I can't imagine its non-superhero X-Men crossed with Firefly would sell. (I'd very much like to be proven wrong on that.) But other posts in this thread point to another option: the single-shot stories that have a ton of potential for a unique movie. Leviathan, as radiator said, could be a fantastic movie, and with a little care it also wouldn't be prohibitively expensive.

Still, I'm sure most people are holding out for a Wireheads trilogy, or Dry Run! :D

Molch-R

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 November, 2011, 12:19:29 PM
Quote from: Molch-R on 16 November, 2011, 12:07:19 PM
It's not Button Man.
Well, that makes this guessing far more interesting, then!

*opens bag of popcorn, puts feet up*

radiator

QuoteBet it's Bad Company.

I'd say that's a pretty good guess.

Does anyone else remember that piece of promotional artwork for a proposed Bad Company film that was doing the rounds in the late nineties when Egmont/Fleetway were trying to tout their properties through that 'fantasy films(?)' division?

Pretty sure it was by Dermot Power...?

QuoteLooking at 2000 AD properties and there's a lot of stuff I'd dearly love to see on screen, but that wouldn't be commercially viable (Nikolai Dante, Swimming in Blood), and so it'll be interesting to discover what possible movies are in the works and also how much the strip will change.

I guess for a clue we should be looking at which titles Rebellion have recently been pushing in the US...

Slaine is probably the best known character outside of Dredd, but with the recent flop of the superficially similar Conan, I expect Hollywood wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole. Shakara, Dante, Nemesis and Zombo are imo too weird or quirky to warrant spending a vast budget on.

My money would be on Bad Company, Kingdom or Halo Jones. Maybe ABC Warriors as a long shot.

Spaceghost

I can see Defoe working too. I watched Solomon Kane recently and couldn't stop myself wishing it was a Defoe film instead.

Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

radiator

Yeah, Defoe is as good a guess as any.

Regarding Halo Jones - as bad as most of them have been, have any of the Alan Moore film adaptations actually ended up losing money? I think most of them have done OK business, even LXG, which is often perceived as a flop. If there's a proven track record, it should be a pretty easy sell.

What's the betting that it's a really obscure strip that none of us would guess in a million years?

Mudcrab

C'mon people, it's obviously Michael Bay's ABC Warriors  :D

I can't even imagine how Nemesis would work, but I'd thought of the Firefly link for Strontium Dog before. It's the obvious one after Rogue that's far sure.

Dante? How could you find anyone cool enough?

Seriously though, would love to see an ABC Warriors movie. While I'm here, where's the damn cartoon already? Is the trailer all we're getting?
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

James Stacey

As long as they don't count American Reaper.

Besides it's clearly Dandridge

IndigoPrime

ABC Warriors would have a tough time against the box-office juggernaut that is Transformers. It's a real pity the cartoon didn't come off. Halo Jones... I just can't see that working in the cinema. I also think there's a bit of the ol' rose-tinted floating around about that, judging by my wife's reaction to it ("Well, it was... OK"), and I'm not really sure Moore's name counts for anything outside of comic geekdom.

One that would work really well—even thought there are productions not entirely dissimilar to it rattling around—and that's not yet been mentioned in this thread: Flesh. Sci-fi + dinosaurs + cowboys. How could anything go wrong? (Well, bar it being a massively expensive movie to make that not enough people go to see, obv.)

EDIT: Also, awaiting the thread getting to, say, about 100 suggestions, and for Molch-R to then pop back in and say "well, one of you's got it right" before running back to his popcorn and laughing maniacally.

Trout

Quote from: Molch-R on 16 November, 2011, 12:21:24 PM
*opens bag of popcorn, puts feet up*

*Gets the sack for skiving off*

SmallBlueThing

The voices in my head tell me it's Danny Dyer as Bill Savage in an adaptation of Invasion/Savage.

Or Karl Howman as same, but in a tv sitcom version.

SBT