Main Menu

Rogue Trooper Short

Started by Steve Green, 10 April, 2018, 09:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: Steve Green on 17 May, 2018, 01:35:34 PM
stabbing someone in the back of the head is fine?

Kids have to learn sometime, Steve.

Steve Green

Hah.

Well, so far we've corrupted 102,000 viewers so far (not sure what the demographic is though)

Not bad for a week - passed Strontium Dog a few days back, helps that it's on a popular channel, though hardly any comic news sites mentioned it. (Minty had loads of reports, Strontium Dog much less, and Rogue even fewer)

Also strangely, no communication from Rebellion after they were sent it, two retweets from Rogue Trooper Redux and Rebellion's twitter account, but not from 2000AD.

Steve Green

Weird, it's dropped 12K views just now.

Don't think I ever had anything like those 'readjustments' going on with Minty.

Maybe they all got stabbed in back of the skull.

CalHab

The quartz zone looks a lot like a limestone quarry. Wouldn't granite have been more geologically appropriate?

Steve Green

Put your own money into your film and you can shoot wherever you like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owqh4_EgFkY

Steven Denton

The Behind the scenes video was nice to see. It's hard to watch that and not think this is a film made by fans having a great time making their childhood dreams come true for a moment.

It's easy to be critical about fan films if you are holding them up against narrative storytelling but it's also easy to forget that fan films are an ode to something people love and not a cinematic calling card.

IAMTHESYSTEM

That was great seeing how they put it all together. A whole load of work went into this Rogue movie, and you have to appreciate the dedication needed to realise it. I want more!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

CalHab

Quote from: Steve Green on 22 May, 2018, 05:17:36 PM
Put your own money into your film and you can shoot wherever you like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owqh4_EgFkY

I wasn't being entirely serious. I'll refrain from geology jokes in future.

Steve Green

I'm just getting a little tetchy of 'why' comments these days, or suggestions of 'you should have done this' multiple comments on a facebook page on a behind the scenes pic before makeup of 'why isn't he blue' like people don't read the post. After a while you just think fuck it, and give terse replies.

And I didn't even shoot this one.

I did consider making the surface reflective but it would have been far too much extra work and they may have well shot in a car park somewhere by the time I'd cut and pasted everything.

Slate would have been visually interesting, but from a safety POV it's sharp - I sliced my hand open on a piece when I took a tumble filming Minty.

sheridan

Just realised I don't think I've praised the film yet - would be interested in the before-and-after if it ends up online.

Steve Green

Cheers

I'll have to have a word with them - they talked about one of those showing layers before and after, but I'm not going to do that, it would take more time than I can spare.

Possibly a split screen thing showing the raw footage vs the final one might be doable, but I don't have access to the youtube account and it's not my film to upload on its own.

They may just have drawn a line under it after dealing with Rebellion.

At the moment paying work is my priority.

GordonR

QuoteThey may just have drawn a line under it after dealing with Rebellion.

Hmm.  Surely the problem was that they didn't deal with Rebellion, at least to begin with?

I'm no filmmaker, but making your short film based on someone else's property, entering it into a film festival and putting a trailer for it online, all without informing the IP owner of its existence or putting their copyright notice on it doesn't strike me as the most professional or clued-up way to go about things.

Steve Green

It was all shot and edited by the time I was approached, I asked them if I'd approached Rebellion about it, and they said they wanted to get it all finished, since it had been shot and edited - so they were too far along the line of putting money into it for Rebellion to say no.

Having done it 'the proper way' by jumping through hoops on two other films, we still got increased restrictions with SD that makes me not want to ever do one again, even with the IP holders 'blessing'. Whatever that means.

Minty was sort of OK, but after that there were clauses that meant that any submissions to festivals meant that Rebellion could pull permission at any point. No crew t-shirts allowed. No ads on youtube (even if proceeds went to a charity) + other stuff.

Although strangely when Rebellion hosted the Minty trailer on the 2000AD account, they did allow youtube revenue. Cheers.

After being asked to fill a gap at the 40th, and Steve coughing up for the AV hire (which was then used to screen Future Shock), the online release went past with not a tweet or mention (cheers again).

As for Rogue...

Rebellion and the Rogue Trooper account tweeted/retweeted about it - whether that was a change of heart, or whoever runs those accounts not being kept in the loop, I don't know, but it just adds to the atmosphere of not having a set of clear rules, and I really can't be arsed with it, or Rebellion any more.

Molch-R

Quote from: Steve Green on 03 June, 2018, 02:34:04 PM
Although strangely when Rebellion hosted the Minty trailer on the 2000AD account, they did allow youtube revenue. Cheers.

Sorry Steve, I really can't let that pass - we do not have ads enabled on our videos. According to YouTube, your Minty trailer that we hosted apparently includes copyrighted audio (I can provide you with the details if you'd like) so ads appear automatically.