Main Menu

Dredd OST

Started by FuzzChile99, 14 February, 2011, 11:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

They should give Press Play on Tape a go.

Like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k41em4dr30g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PekCO3HX1tQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bJn17cO8wA

Well, maybe not, but at least they could include this on the DVD release as an extra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoQa1OiHlrM

No? Well, I heard Transvision Vamp always wanted to do a 2000AD soundtrack....
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Michaelvk

You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Lozart

Maybe they should get the guys that did the God Of War 3 soundtrack to have a go. Certainly apocalyptic!

Greg M.

If only Basil Poledouris was still with us. Though I suppose you could argue that by doing the score for Robocop, he's already done a Dredd movie score.

Michaelvk

You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

SmallBlueThing

If Carpenter had composed and directed it, and written it come to that, i'd be first in the queue. After all, you could probably squeeze out an argument for Dredd being somewhere near to an archetypal Carpenter hero. Actually yeah, get Kurt Russell under the helmet, with Tom Atkins as Buell, and Adrienne Barbeau as CJ Hershey and you'd have a movie i'd kill to see.
SBT

FuzzChile99

Quote from: Michaelvk on 15 February, 2011, 07:08:46 AM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 15 February, 2011, 12:10:00 AM
It's a silent film. There will be piano accompaniment at every screening.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Afro vibe my arse..

I wouldn't be so flippant , the films location may influence the soundtrack in some way , perhaps it'll be two hours worth of vuvuzalas (so nothing new there then)
Maybe a minimal use of soundtrack would be the way forward with this , The original movie was so aware that it was a movie, thats one of the reasons  why it failed . Perhaps if you just hear tiny bits of music (from block or from the streets that would be more interesting) like a proper cop show like Hill Street Blues or Homicide  except in the 22nd century.
If Mega City is anything like New York then it would be a melting pot of sounds from around the future world .. personally I'd like to hear something totally original and unique  perhaps like a cyberpunk version of A Fistful of Dollars  just imagine when that first came out I bet nobody heard anything like that before..

JOE SOAP

Quote from: FuzzChile99 on 19 February, 2011, 03:39:32 PM
The original movie was so aware that it was a movie, thats one of the reasons  why it failed

Really? I don't think they had much awareness about what it was supposed to be at all, even it's purpose of being a 'movie'. It may have been a bit better if they were aware it was supposed to be a 'movie' instead of a verisimilitude of amalgamated/mutated secondary Dredd tropes with Stallone tropes superceding them in the end.

FuzzChile99

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 February, 2011, 03:53:49 PM
Quote from: FuzzChile99 on 19 February, 2011, 03:39:32 PM
The original movie was so aware that it was a movie, thats one of the reasons  why it failed

Really? I don't think they had much awareness about what it was supposed to be at all, even it's purpose of being a 'movie'. It may have been a bit better if they were aware it was supposed to be a 'movie' instead of a verisimilitude of amalgamated/mutated secondary Dredd tropes with Stallone tropes superceding them in the end.
you know what i mean , big production big sound big everything , not low key in the slightest following typical hollywood formula storytelling .. that went nowhere.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: FuzzChile99 on 19 February, 2011, 04:04:31 PMyou know what i mean , big production big sound big everything , not low key in the slightest following typical hollywood formula storytelling .. that went nowhere.

I would argue that there was no formula in the storytelling as none of it really made any sense. The big sound/big visuals et al is only a style whereas if it actually had a craft to the story/performances it probably would have suceeded better.

There is nothing wrong with 'big' when done well, however you regard the style is personal taste.

Hollywood had a fairly strong formula once for making 'movies' called 'craft', they forgot to include it for many of the blockbuters in the past 30 years. If anything there has been a lack of any 'formula' or 'method' to storytelling in a portion of blockbuster films, Tron and Iron Man being good examples where the posters and trailers pitched the film and a release date before screenplays were even written neither were they even given/allowed time to be written once greenlit. Dredd '95 was written by a 'committee' of producers/writers over a decade that destroyed it's chances of ever having a story/character. No formula was involved or method adhered to that once produced good films, it merely provided a vehicle as an excuse for certain execs and producers to get paid.

FuzzChile99

When I say Formula , I mean your typical Hollywood method of getting to the big fight at the statue of Liberty at the end , diabolical plans to clone judges , Stallone getting fitted up that's typical of it's time , you can actually do a list of  other films at the time were this comittee might of thought "Hey that would be cool!" the fight at the end reminded me of the climax of In the Line of Fire, or the catfight between   

FuzzChile99

Whoops didn't finnish post ..Catfight between Joan Chen and Dianne Lane , and Stallone begrudging alliance with Fergee it's all been done before and better , anyway I'd rather talk about the here and now and try and forget that film (although I did like the design of the city , Hammerstein , Ian Dury and the Lawgiver ) I know this new films much closer to the original character.

JOE SOAP

In the line of fire is still a competently well-made film whereas dredd isn't because nothing is really thought out in it.

All the standard superhero flicks adhere to the fight-the-nemesis-at-the-end scene unfortunately. It was done well in Spidey two with Doc Ock cos it wasn't so straight forward, the same with Unbreakable where the confrontation was a calm realisation rather than a fist-fight, but the cliche ruined both Iron Man films, they were so by-the-numbers it wouldn't have made much difference to walk out after the second act. It's something that needs far more thought than has been given in recent years especially when they are dealing with such imaginative worlds and characters, pushing it a bit would serve them better.

FuzzChile99

Yeah Line of Fire was great, I'm just using that as an example of the sort of films that these comittees may of looked at and thought that may work on this Stallone flick .. I think the first time they had somebody hanging from Statue of Liberty was Hitchcocks Sabatour (the 39 Steps remake)  back in the 40's although I could be wrong.
Watchmans another example of an original ending (but thats more down to Moore than the director)I hope they go ahead with a Button Man movie based on the first series Seeing a head in a fishtank in the end credits would be most unusual.

CYCLOPZ

I sometimes chat to this Guy on Youtube who does movie reviews. He has some very good points to make on the 95 Dredd film in a 3 part review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7voMycx5zUY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MIax9grQyw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK8x-d8HSCM

The best review I've seen on that film anyway.