Main Menu

What do you think/hope Dredd will/should sound like?

Started by MR. ELIMINATOR, 04 August, 2011, 03:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 04 August, 2011, 01:47:55 PM
Ah yes, now that I think about it more, he was a rather pissed off elf.

You're probably joking but just in case....

The Rohirrim are of the race of men (i.e human). Don't let the ornate helmet fool you. If you're going by the funeral durge sang by Eowen in the extended edition, she was actually singing in Anglo-Saxon*, not Elvish.

*Okay, technically, in-world it was the language of the Rohirrim, but they used Anglo-saxon, much as tolkien did. The Rohirrim are basically Anglo-Saxons on horses.

Richmond Clements

Mardroid

Back on topic after my LotR deviation....

I guess I imagine Dredd having a gravelly kind of voice, but if it ends up in Bale territory, no thanks. I'd rather Urban just speak in his own voice, albeit with an American accent, than do that.

Stan

Somehow I think Urban's Dredd will sound just like's he's supposed to sound.

Quote from: Mardroid on 04 August, 2011, 06:56:13 PMI guess I imagine Dredd having a gravelly kind of voice, but if it ends up in Bale territory, no thanks. I'd rather Urban just speak in his own voice, albeit with an American accent, than do that.

:thumbsup:

Fuzzed

Quote from: Mardroid on 04 August, 2011, 06:48:02 PM
Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 04 August, 2011, 01:47:55 PM
Ah yes, now that I think about it more, he was a rather pissed off elf.

You're probably joking but just in case....

The Rohirrim are of the race of men (i.e human).

I was resisting correcting that, but it was niggling and niggling and when I came back to finally give in, you'd done it already. Thanks.

It's amazing how different Urban sounds now with his American voice, because in The Price of Milk, a New Zealand movie, you can really hear his Kiwiness, ie higher pitched and twangy. It's on YouTube, if anyone's interested, and hilarious.

And I agree with everyone who says Urban will sound just fine.

dracula1

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 04 August, 2011, 04:58:47 PM
Still my favourite live-action Dredd voice - maybe a wee bit too quiet, but with just the right amount of Dirty Harry-style menace.  Can't imagine the game was any use mind you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2E5_8QCykQ

Liking this game trailer alot, . . .  the Dirty Harry vocal with it's cool played down tone suggests more authority and menace than a Stallone shouty, shouty style.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Mardroid on 04 August, 2011, 06:48:02 PMThe Rohirrim are of the race of men (i.e human). Don't let the ornate helmet fool you. If you're going by the funeral durge sang by Eowen in the extended edition, she was actually singing in Anglo-Saxon*, not Elvish.

While we're being pedantic, it's dirge.

radiator

QuoteIf you're going by the funeral durge sang by Eowen in the extended edition, she was actually singing in Anglo-Saxon

That bit creases me up every single time. Just the timing of it, the way she just unexpectedly bursts into song like that. Hilarious.

Bluecube

As has been said before, Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry is a good place to start. However, I've been thinking that Michael Shannon in Boardwalk Empire had the looks and the voice too.
An Atlantean Triumvirate
Ghosts of the Past
The Centre Cannot Hold

My eBooks are available here for Amazon Kindle. Feedback always welcome!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 04 August, 2011, 08:40:39 PMThat bit creases me up every single time. Just the timing of it, the way she just unexpectedly bursts into song like that. Hilarious.

You're just not feeling it are you.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: dracula1 on 04 August, 2011, 07:19:27 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 04 August, 2011, 04:58:47 PM
Still my favourite live-action Dredd voice - maybe a wee bit too quiet, but with just the right amount of Dirty Harry-style menace.  Can't imagine the game was any use mind you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2E5_8QCykQ

Liking this game trailer alot, . . .  the Dirty Harry vocal with it's cool played down tone suggests more authority and menace than a Stallone shouty, shouty style.

Preshishely. I never dug Toby Longworth's macho, forced Dredd, and especially not whoever did the Scorscese film street-punk Dredd on the previous radio adaptations.  I trust the Urban chap will do a good job though - clear and menacing beats loud and tough every time for me, and I think he's got enough of the former to manage to pull Dredd off.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Mardroid

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 04 August, 2011, 08:29:02 PM
While we're being pedantic, it's dirge.

Ah. I stand corrected. Maybe I had the name of that big bounty hunter bloke from Clone Wars at the back of my mind.

Nah. Just not a word I use all that often.

Danbo

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: Wils on 04 August, 2011, 12:21:32 PM
Dredd should sound like John Inman and the Lawmaster computer should be based on Stanley Unwin.

Yeah..John Inman should be THE voice of Dredd!   Nobody else should even be considered. :D

vzzbux

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 04 August, 2011, 11:48:10 PM
Quote from: Wils on 04 August, 2011, 12:21:32 PM
Dredd should sound like John Inman and the Lawmaster computer should be based on Stanley Unwin.

Yeah..John Inman should be THE voice of Dredd!   Nobody else should even be considered. :D
You mean his croaky dead voice with rotting vocal chords from beyond the grave.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.