Main Menu

Aces Weekly from David Lloyd

Started by Emperor, 06 August, 2012, 03:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daveycandlish

Issue three has been unlocked and is the best so far;

well of course it is - it has Thrud The Barbarian by Carl Critchlow in it!

Shoot for the Moon is still slow going and I really can't get into Return of the Human, but the Davids Lloyd and Hitchcock are storming through their strips - great stuff (and I should mention Matt Soffe's colour work on Paradise Mechanism - he's one of our own - as it's perfect for the story)

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

maryanddavid

Id love to get this but Im still hesitant, is there a way of printing it like Lulu or Is there plans to collect this as a TB?

David

Professor Bear

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 01 October, 2012, 05:53:05 PM
Quote from: BPP on 01 October, 2012, 05:51:08 PM
I get equally confused by Madefire.

Madefire give you a dedicated app for reading their stuff

Ugh.  Count me out.

Although I should point out - as I often do - that scanners usually find a way around proprietary formats one way or another and put stuff up for free.  They were even sharing motion comics on Youtube last time I checked.

pauljholden

Madefire can only work with their proprietary app because the comics are motion comics and, imho, won't actually make any sense in a non-moving format (case in point: some of the lettering 'appears' one bubble at a time - forcing you to read them in the correct order - but when they're all on screen they're displayed in, what you'd normally consider, the wrong order...)

-pj

mygrimmbrother

Thanks for the kind words on the colouring chaps. My first tentative foray into the world of professional comics... pretty nerve-wracking!  :)

Professor Bear

Quote from: pauljholden on 15 October, 2012, 09:04:43 AM
Madefire can only work with their proprietary app because the comics are motion comics and, imho, won't actually make any sense in a non-moving format (case in point: some of the lettering 'appears' one bubble at a time - forcing you to read them in the correct order - but when they're all on screen they're displayed in, what you'd normally consider, the wrong order...)

-pj

Not an issue if someone makes a video clip of the comics, surely?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Professah Byah on 15 October, 2012, 02:14:10 PM
Not an issue if someone makes a video clip of the comics, surely?

Except that the video will be continuous playback; the Madefire stuff is a combination of rolling animation and user-triggered events. Usually, the playback will pause after what you might consider a 'frame' until the user taps, at which point a new frame will animate into the 'page' and the balloons/FX will load in time with the action and in the correct reading order.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Bolt-01

Seriously thinking of jumping into this- BUT.

When subbed up do you get emailed a link each week to the new content? Or do you have to go and find it?

Spaceghost

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 15 October, 2012, 02:31:08 PM
Seriously thinking of jumping into this- BUT.

When subbed up do you get emailed a link each week to the new content? Or do you have to go and find it?

It's just one website where each new issue 'unlocks' on a Sunday. Once they're unlocked, you can read them any time.

At the moment you can't read all the episodes of each individual story in one easy chunk, but I hope they do that once all 7 weeks of volume 1 is unlocked.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Lee Bates on 15 October, 2012, 02:44:14 PM
At the moment you can't read all the episodes of each individual story in one easy chunk, but I hope they do that once all 7 weeks of volume 1 is unlocked.

I hope they do this too -

Bolt-01

Okay, I'll take a punt on this. Not sure how much I'll get out of it though...

CrazyFoxMachine

Bumping Aces again - as Lucy Stone & Rory Walker's Chloroforms in issue 4 (this Sunday) was particularly bloody good. I've ... sort of given up on Return of the Human but the rest remain strong. This is still absurdly consistent. Very strong comic.

...still want a physical copy I can lick though.

IndigoPrime

Horses for courses, I'd say. I'm frustrated by the brevity and also the format in general. The comics look... OK on the new iPad, but the UI around them is awful. As for the strips in general, I've enjoyed the one-off comedy strips (Combat Colin and Thrud in particular), but there's nothing else here that's making me think I'll stick around for volume 2. That said, I'd argue without question that for the money it's still worth a comic fan taking a punt on volume 1 in case they happen to like it as much as CrazyFoxMachine!

Daveycandlish

Just read issue 5 and I'm afraid Return of the Human has lost my interest completely but the David Lloyd story has really grabbed me - can't wait for next week!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

CrazyFoxMachine

Second volume launched today and it's a cracker - Henry Flint's Catalyst Island has to be seen to be believed - !