Main Menu

Just so Floyd doesn't cry

Started by Will I. Cooling, 03 June, 2005, 12:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

Thanks Floyd, for the essay, and Will, for the link, I really enjoyed reading that!

One thing I never did discover was where USAgent came from. When I stopped reading Marvel comics in the late '80s there were two Captain Americas. I thought Steve Rogers stopped being Captain America for a while but wore a black version of the same costume (or was that Spider-man?), and in the meantime someone else assumed the mantle, working for the government, but eventually became USAgent (or something) and became a member of the West Coast Avengers while Steve Rogers was with the original Avengers team in New York.

Not sure. Anyway, The Ultimates recently showed Captain America going in heavy-handed and rescuing US hostages in Iraq, showing how it should be done. This made several reviewers (myself included) a bit nervous, not to mention nauseous, as it seemed Mark Millar was having his cake and eating it by showing criticism of US imperialism on the one hand, and showing Captain America getting the job done properly on the other. Very uncomfortable reading.
STRIKE !!!

Floyd-the-k

Thanks for the explanation, Krestel.  I missed out on the two Captain AmericasI have read a couple of the Spider Man 'Ultimates', one was given away when we watched the second Spiderman movie. It seemed to me so similar to the original comics that they might as well have just reprinted those.
  Interesting about the two capt Americas in the 80s. If I ever become rich beyond the dreams of avarice, I'll catch up with that (or if someone opens a good comics cafe). Hopefully the black costume was less lame than the Nomad costume. If I remember correctly, he stopped being Nomad because other dorks kept getting hurt whilst trying to be Captain America.

yours nostalgically,

Floyd

judge dreddd

reminds me, gotta email tharg, not enough letters from floyd recently