Hey, hey, we're the Mongrols
And people say we Mongrol around
But we're too busy smushin'
To Laaaarrraaaaaaa!

etc.

I really enjoy this thread, btw.  :D
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Bolt-01

Thanks to the quite frankly not evil at all Ming, I have just placed orders via bricklink for the parts needed to build my own Johnny Alpha! Cost excluding post came to £10.60 from 2 shops. No idea if that is a decent price as this is the first lego I've bought in about 10 years.

I'll no doubt be posting photo's once I get the packs and start on the build.

Thanks Ming and #PraiseTharg these should be available commercially imo.

IndigoPrime

Compared to new Lego, Bricklink (or individual pieces from Lego) often comes at a premium, but postage is usually the biggest issue, hence my earlier comment to try and buy from as few (and as local) stores as possible. But for reference, most Brickheadz in stores are £9.99 and up.

ming

Re-gene!

Rogue Trooper was the very first character I built in this style, made with whatever was lying around*, and I've been meaning to go back to see how I can improve on the original for a while.  I've really enjoyed this one so far - I've learned a lot (well, a bit) since I started these and this is coming together pretty easily.  I'd like Bagman's straps to wrap all the way around but that might not be possible (at least attempting it caused various other problems so I've left it how it was for now).

Lego nerd-mode increase on
Looking into options for the biochips now; might make custom decals if I have to but I'd prefer to go with available tiles / stickers.  I've got a pair of 1x1 Lego skulls from the Go Brickme set that would be great, but number-wise I'm a bit stumped.  The 1 and 3 tiles I've used for now only come in yellow (meh) and the only alternative is silver numerals on a black background, which is darker than I'd like.  Really, I'd be happy with a plain number on a white tile, or an 'official' Lego number sticker...  Ah well, we'll see.
Regular nerd-mode resumes

Just added an extra touch for Bagman, not sure which of these is better (but I lean towards the shorter arm as it looks more comical somehow):

Long arm

Shorter arm

* see Page 27

Dash Decent

Looking good, ming!  Will Gunnar get a look-in this time?  Or perhaps just give him a knife... and a Nort to fight against!  I'm already imagining how you'd do the breath-pipes and sack-like hood.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

IndigoPrime

Shorter arm definitely better. Rogue's own arms are a bit long, aren't they? Straps are grand.

ming

Quote from: Dash Decent on 15 October, 2019, 10:34:50 AM
Looking good, ming!  Will Gunnar get a look-in this time?  Or perhaps just give him a knife... and a Nort to fight against!  I'm already imagining how you'd do the breath-pipes and sack-like hood.

Might try to do Gunnar but it'll need to be big enough to take a 1x2 biochip, so may not be possible to do in a way I'm happy with.  A Nort is an option (and probably doable) but not high on my to-do list (Bland and Brass would be a fun challenge as well).

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 15 October, 2019, 10:38:02 AM
Shorter arm definitely better. Rogue's own arms are a bit long, aren't they? Straps are grand.

Glad you think the short arm is better!  Rogue arm length might be altered once I've sorted the legs but I don't think they'd look good if I shorten them too much; will look at some options in due course.  Legs should be quick, anyway.

ming

Probably some more tweaks to be done but this is the current state:

Might adjust the belly-to-trousers ratio but dunno; not easy to fix, probably.

Bolt-01

Could Gunnar not be affixed to Bagman somehow?

And as an update from me - got all my pieces for Johnny - just waiting for being on a week away at the end of this month to take my time and build him. Photo's will follow.

ming

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 15 October, 2019, 03:54:24 PM
Could Gunnar not be affixed to Bagman somehow?

Affixing Gunnar is less of a problem than making him satisfactorily at this scale...  Working on it.

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 15 October, 2019, 03:54:24 PM
And as an update from me - got all my pieces for Johnny - just waiting for being on a week away at the end of this month to take my time and build him. Photo's will follow.

Awesome - have fun!

ming

Progress of sorts...  Tried (and tried, and tried) to use a Lego crutch for Gunnar's handle but gave up in the end; bucket handle just sits inside the slope brick, which I guess will do.  Biochip needs sorting but I've had enough for now.  Fairly happy with Gunnar given the size constraints!

TordelBack

Bolt-01

ming

Glad you like it!  It's handy doing the renders as I spot some errors more easily that way - fixed the wrong colour plate under the strap on the one above now.

Thinking of something like this for the biochips if I have to go the custom decal route (I have two 1x1 stickers with this skull, but if I can't find an existing white tile with a black number I'd have to opt for black biochip tiles, which I don't like the idea of).  No hurry with this, anyway.