Main Menu

2000AD Lego builds

Started by ming, 10 February, 2014, 02:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Oh man. I really don't need to buy another 3000 bricks right now. *holds self back from Bricklink*

blackmocco

Quote from: ming on 01 November, 2019, 02:30:18 PM
The last pieces for the ABC Warriors (those completed, anyway) arrived so I built the first few last night.  Discovered a couple of minor errors in the designs but got everything sorted and the digital designs tweaked accordingly.  Mongrol and Blackblood were especially fun to do and look pretty good; the boys favour Blackblood and Joe Pineapples (who looks better than I expected).  Will take a few pics at the weekend, anyway.

I threw a quick render together of all the characters completed digitally and this looks like as good a use of 3,000-odd bricks as I can think of.  I'll go back and add Dredd and Judge Fear, Mean Machine and Slaine soonish, if only to delay the onset of insanity stemming from my 2020 project.

Any suggestions for other characters to try out?  Alongside Happy Shrapnel I started Sinister & Dexter, plus I've got Frank and Aimee to finish.  Might try a Judda and a Klegg at some point, but any suggestions are welcome...

I mean, I'm utterly speechless. These are so, soooo good!
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

ming

Quote from: blackmocco on 01 November, 2019, 06:51:03 PMI mean, I'm utterly speechless. These are so, soooo good!

Thanks for the kind words as always - these are a lot of fun for me and the boys and, looking back at Page One, it's amazing to see where all this started.

Finished physical builds of the Meknificent Five today (no pics yet) so now I'll try and get Happy finished.  Since I wasn't very happy with what I'd done previously (hat straight-on) so I tried tweaking the hat; I like the jaunty angle but it does require some small gaps in the rest of the head (otherwise it doesn't fit).  Will see if I keep this or tweak it further, anyway.

Bolt-01

It had to be done - now if only I was a good enough photographer to go for the forshortened barrel of the original panel.

For those Squaxx in attendance- Johnny will be with me at Thought Bubble all weekend, drop by and pay homage (as well as buying your latest comics)

ming

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 06 November, 2019, 08:20:21 AMIt had to be done - now if only I was a good enough photographer to go for the forshortened barrel of the original panel.

Heh - nicely done!

Here's pics of real-world Blackblood and Mongrol (the boys have since added power cables to the arms but I'm a bit torn as to whether he really needs them).  I'll get back to Happy soon, probably work on the jaunty-angle hat version, I think.

IndigoPrime

These almost come across like a Muppet Babies take on the ABC Warriors.

ming

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 08 November, 2019, 02:38:37 PM
These almost come across like a Muppet Babies take on the ABC Warriors.

Yeah, for the most part they have the cutesy dial turned all the way up.  Not really intentional, just how things turned out but pretty much the only way to make these work I guess.

Meanwhile, I've chipped away at Frank a bit more.  Lacking various scruffy details I'd have liked to have added but the limitations are what they are at this scale (the round tan tile at the front of the foot is supposed to be his toe poking out of his boot).  Adding Aimee soon, hopefully.

TordelBack

Truly zarjaz! Now he needs some Nazi Babies and Big Barry Penge to fight. And maybe Sensitive Klegg for emotional support (Although how you represent the heart of a poet in Lego...)

ming

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 November, 2019, 07:34:35 AM
Truly zarjaz! Now he needs some Nazi Babies and Big Barry Penge to fight. And maybe Sensitive Klegg for emotional support (Although how you represent the heart of a poet in Lego...)

Big Barry Penge definitely needs an attempt and if I can do a regular Klegg (Grampus, f'rinstance) then a sensitive one might be manageable.  They're on the list!  I'm surprised I haven't run out of steam on these but they're such fun to work on and there's just so many great characters to play with.

Meanwhile, some hot biochip-transfer action this morning... Tiny tweak needed, just to trim a little more off edges of the transfers, but these go onto the 2x1 tiles pretty well.  (Will need to order bits for Rogue at some point, but wanted to get these done first.)

ming

Frank and Aimee join the ranks... (Impossible to get Nixon (or Frank) done quite how I'd like but these always involve a degree of compromise.)

ming

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 November, 2019, 07:34:35 AM

I wasn't planning on a Klegg just yet (on my to-do list for next year) but made a start anyway...  Hard to resist, really.  Based on this I think a Sensitive Klegg version should be doable.

ming

Didn't spend a long time on this but it was pretty enjoyable to mess around with.  As Number One Son pointed out it's not really very Brickheadz-like but there's not much point doing a flat-faced Klegg, and I'd already departed from strict adherence to the form with stuff like GBH and Garp the Barp.  My only aim with these things is to try and capture the characters as well as I can within certain size constraints (and limiting myself to whatever bricks and colours are actually available*).  Not 100% sure how the Klegg will balance but a few extra bricks added to the jetpack would fix any problems I think.  Fun to add a Klegg to Cal and Fish; might have to consider attempting Walter now...  (Maybe; can't really see Walter working in this style but then I've said that before about other characters.)

* Making custom transfers for Rogue's biochips seemed like a worthwhile departure; I'd potentially do the same for stuff like GBH (Dead) and a better Ace Trucking logo, or for a Dredd badge, I guess.

norton canes

I'm sure someone must have asked this at some point over the last 41 pages but is there any chance Rebellion and Lego could get together to licence these?

IndigoPrime

Vanishingly unlikely, I imagine. The Brickheadz line is almost dead as it is (basically now being a seasonal promotional tool), and Lego's licensed fare mostly centres on very popular worldwide properties. Apparently, even the Doctor Who sets did poorly, hence why we only got three of them (two being tied to Dimensions).

norton canes

Ah, right, didn't realise these were based on an existing range. Shame!

OK, another question (to which I'm sure I could get the answer by reading the thread :)) - do you publish the plans anywhere? And is it easy/cheap to order the right bricks?