Main Menu

Celebrity Fans

Started by pert, 20 September, 2013, 10:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Wouldn't be at all surprised.

There was a great comment from Geoff Darrow in the Future Shocks documentary that he often likes some actor/artist/musician, then finds out they are a 2000ad fan "and suddenly, it [their work] all makes perfect sense"

Steve Green

I was told that Ben Wheatley is a Strontium Dog fan.

radiator

Wheatley had a Dredd/2000ad image as his cover picture on Twitter, may still do, so think its safe to say he's a fan.

radiator

Both Charlie Higson and Phill Jupitus raved about the Dredd movie on Twitter when it came out, think they are both old-school fans. Directors Christopher Nolan and Joe Cornish (Adam and Joe) have cited 2000ad as an influence on their work (Attack the Block had a very 2000ad feel imo).

Fungus

Quote from: Dandontdare on 17 November, 2014, 09:37:54 PM
There was a great comment from Geoff Darrow in the Future Shocks documentary that he often likes some actor/artist/musician, then finds out they are a 2000ad fan "and suddenly, it [their work] all makes perfect sense"

I also read that as Geof (sic) Darrow, but it appears more than once and it's definitely Barrow in the doc. So it's the Portishead guy, not the Hard-Boiled guy. Not that it matters   :o

Dandontdare

ah well, that's my beer-addled memory for you!  ::)

I, Cosh

Can anyone confirm whether the Patrick Kane of Coatbridge who had letters featured in Progs 146 and 255 is the same Pat Kane who went on to find a degree of fame with tedious Scotch popsters Hue & Cry and later had a big hissy fit about the original publication of New Adventures of Hitler?
We never really die.

GordonR

Yes, it'll be the same one.  I interviewed him once, many years ago, and he's a big comics fan.

He and Mark Millar went to the same school, although Pat would have been a few years older than Mark.

Anthony Garnon

Was speaking to Russell T Davies at a Forbidden Planet signing yesterday. He's a fan! I gave him a comp copy of Brink: Book 1 as a parting gift.

Steve Green

Yeah I remember him mentioning 2000 AD when they had a couple of old Tennant Who episodes with commentaries - Halo Jones, Max Normal in Gridlock (although it's also reminiscent of the Terror Tube) and Bisley's Slaine for the look of the devil in The Satan Pit.

sheridan

Quote from: Steve Green on 15 September, 2017, 02:31:33 PM
Yeah I remember him mentioning 2000 AD when they had a couple of old Tennant Who episodes with commentaries - Halo Jones, Max Normal in Gridlock (although it's also reminiscent of the Terror Tube) and Bisley's Slaine for the look of the devil in The Satan Pit.
Both Swifty Frisko and Max make appearances in Gridlock (though with different names).

Colin YNWA

Just read Prog 553 which had a letter from one Duncan Jones. Now I'm sure there's more than one Duncan Jones but we know the Duncan Jones was a fan and so it  could be him. Right?

Spikes

I seem to recall, though I don't remember where I heard it,  that Sex Pistols drummer Paul Cook was a fan as well.

pert

Quote from: sheridan on 15 September, 2017, 10:44:39 PM
I think Gridlock may have been inspired by a couple of Future Shocks as well

sheridan

Quote from: pert on 04 January, 2018, 10:45:48 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 15 September, 2017, 10:44:39 PM
I think Gridlock may have been inspired by a couple of Future Shocks as well

This'll be a lot easier once Tharg's Future Shocks Volume One is out, but do you remember which Shocks may have inspired Gridlock?  I can't think of any off-hand.