Main Menu

can an under 18 send in...

Started by willthemightyW, 14 June, 2010, 07:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willthemightyW

a 5 page script to 2000ad, I mean if the script is good enough (I doubt mine will be) is there any chance of it getting published?

Also it couldn't hurt to sent it in for feedback could it?
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

CrazyFoxMachine

willthemightyW

the march to rejection begins!!!!!!
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Darren Stephens

Quote from: willthemightyW on 14 June, 2010, 07:35:26 PM
Thats the spirit! :D Wasn't Steve Dillon about sixteen when he first worked for Marvel UK?  :-\
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Darren Stephens on 14 June, 2010, 07:38:16 PM
Quote from: willthemightyW on 14 June, 2010, 07:35:26 PM
Thats the spirit! :D Wasn't Steve Dillon about sixteen when he first worked for Marvel UK?  :-\

He was indeed.
Good luck!

willthemightyW

Jared Katooie

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 14 June, 2010, 07:32:39 PM
I COULD NOT HURT AT ALL

Yeah, but what about him?

Seriously though, go for it. Being 17 is an advantage in some ways. I'm pretty sure Millar first got published when he was 17, and look he rubish he was/is.

House of Usher

A mate of mine was writing Tharg's Future Shocks and Tales from the Doghouse while we were still in sixth form. Some of them were really quite good indeed (the Future Shocks, that is).
STRIKE !!!

willthemightyW

Emperor

There are plenty of stories of folks getting their breaks in comics in their teens, so if there is nothing against it in the submissions then go for it.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

TordelBack

Yeah, you could be the next Rob Liefield!

Nah, seriously squire, go for it. 

Roger Godpleton

If you'd like to come round to my house I can give you a few pointers, and also let you see my well-stocked wine cellar.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

willthemightyW

I need a bit more advice, I know this isn't really the place to ask for feedback for an 'idea', but basically I asked people for advice on a script that I was writing purely for feedback just to see what people think, any way I decided to ask a few people what they thought of my idea and story because if it was absolutely terrible I thought I'd just go back to square one before I wrote it all out. Anyway, my family and friends decided they couldn't care less and didn't give me any real advice so I thought I'd ask all of you. Now I trust that if this is a good idea, which I very much doubt it will be, that you'll not steal it (I've just realized how stupid that sounds).
Alright, here goes (remember this is just a rough idea and story).
It is set in the 22nd century, in a place called new Chelmsford, the former 'hub' of city Essex. England is full of slums and only the extremely higher classes remain as a valid part of society. This is all because the super powers became very weak because of the recession, and the 3rd world countries saw this as an opportunity to start picking off smaller countries until they gained more power. In the end it got to the point where they made us an offer to help us out of the recession, and eventually gained a bit more control over the country. Our protagonist starts off as a boy and is shown in various scenarios taking the easy way out of things. About ten years on and the powers that be our trying to eradicate the slums to make way for immigrants. We see are protagonist again and he is somewhat of a hero, leading protests against the plans to get rid of the slums. It appears he has changed quite a bit from a kid who took the easy way out to a public icon. The government think that if they can get rid of the hero in a non-violent way, that it may help to convince the rest of the people to follow without protest.

That's all for now, I'll put the rest up tomorrow, don't ask me why, it's a long story. Feedback would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Emperor

Its difficult to tell much from the first half of a story but if it is so long you are going to struggle to fit it into 5 pages.

It is also possible the narrative structure makes the story more compelling.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

willthemightyW

when I said, it's a long story, I didn't mean the script, I meant why I didn't put it on last night. No I think I've found away to get a lot of that across quickly in the script.
Thanks.