Main Menu

can an under 18 send in...

Started by willthemightyW, 14 June, 2010, 07:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

Seeing the script'd be good - I cannae remember where the advice was from (probably one of them brilliant old 2000ad "so you want to write/draw for us" articles) but the key thing for a first story was not to load everyone up with continuity and backstory instantly.

It can all come later but the first tale should just be a great one-off set in a mysterious place that can be elaborated on if people dig it.

I love the idea though - I really do.

willthemightyW

well this is for a future shock, so I kinda need to get the back story first, thanks for the advice an comment.
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

CrazyFoxMachine

oh yikes I didn't see that part. I think you may very well have to sacrifice a lot of that backstory to make an effective five pager. Those things have to be punchy.

Think of the immediate narrative first - ignoring the backstory. Focus on the shock - the shock is the thing.

Although what do I know?!

willthemightyW

yeh, I think I'll have to. I just need to work out a way to get the point across that those things had happened, although it's not all vital to the story, I could just put that we never recovered from the recession, that we're in poverty and that we're being cleared out to make way for foreigners that will bring some more money into the country. It shouldn't take up too much space to do that hopefully, and the hole foreigners moving in and us being forced out would come later.
Thanks for the advice.
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: willthemightyW on 14 June, 2010, 07:23:26 PM
a 5 page script to 2000ad, I mean if the script is good enough (I doubt mine will be) is there any chance of it getting published?

Also it couldn't hurt to sent it in for feedback could it?

Jim Shooter (Marvel's former Editor-in-Chief) was 14 when he began selling stories to DC Comics.
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

willthemightyW

willthemightyW

I was just talking to my dad about it and I said that people are being moved to make way for immigrants and people with more money, and my dad said 'no, they will not accept that, it's not PC and it's racist.' I don't think it is really, if anything it's taking a slight jab at what happens these days, which is what 2000ad does as well and that's one of the things I love about 2000ad. What do you all think?
Thanks, Will.

Emperor

Quote from: willthemightyW on 29 June, 2010, 05:10:25 PM
I was just talking to my dad about it and I said that people are being moved to make way for immigrants and people with more money, and my dad said 'no, they will not accept that, it's not PC and it's racist.' I don't think it is really, if anything it's taking a slight jab at what happens these days, which is what 2000ad does as well and that's one of the things I love about 2000ad. What do you all think?
Thanks, Will.

Depends on how you tackle it: "All immigrants are bad" probably won't float (or be that interesting without a lot of work) but a satire on the more rabid anti-immigration parts of the press and society could work (again depending on the story).
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

willthemightyW

well, it's more just a backdrop for the main part of the story, it's not saying they're bad, it's just saying that room needs to be made for them so the slums are being relocated. However I might kinda of add to that like this: the immigrants have money and something to contribute to society whereas the slum-dwellers do not, so in a way it's about the governments greed.