Main Menu

Map of Mega City One.

Started by ZenArcade, 22 February, 2014, 09:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

Hi all, further to comment by Mabs in the Meg 345 review and a talk with Mimikeke (one of our MC2 citizens), we're keen to produce a map showing greater detail in MC1 than is currently available at the moment.

I would ideally like to produce 3 timelines maps ( for 2090, 2120 and 2135).
This project is likely to take some time as I'm keen to take into account physical relief features in the Eastern USA and incorporate at least some of these into the map (a lot would be covered up in the 2030's rebuild  I know), I will also need to spend a lot of time going over progs to see what salient  features are mentioned for instance roadways etc.
Any suggestions from fellow squaxx would be most welcome. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

mimikeke

Just some general maps found from google so far

According to Wikipedia:

"Mega-City One evolved out of a growing urban conurbation stretching from Boston to Washington DC, which took form in the 21st century to cope with the escalating population crisis in America and – due to the high crime rate – led to the introduction of the Judge system.
Mega-City One was one of three major areas to survive the nuclear war in 2070, due to an experimental laser missile-defense system built not long before. Apart from those megacities, the United States has been reduced to the Cursed Earth.
Eventually, Mega-City One stretched all the way down to Miami, Florida, which became a holiday resort,[9] and spread west into Ohio and/or West Virginia.[10] The megacity was built over the top of the old cities and the polluted Ohio River, creating the lawless Undercity,[11] though a few buildings like the Empire State Building and Statue of Liberty were moved to Mega-City One for the tourists.[12] Maps of the city[13] show that in the early 22nd century, at the city's height, it stretched roughly from southern Maine down through Florida and to the north-east has absorbed the Quebec City-Windsor Corridor in Canada. 800 million citizens lived in the city at this point.
The population and city sprawl were halved by nuclear attack and Soviet invasion in 2104 (in the 1982 story The Apocalypse War), with the loss of the entire south in a saturation nuclear strike. The north-west and upper north were also lost, leaving the city stretching from roughly New Hampshire through North Carolina and losing the Canadian territory. A small part of the north west survived: the North West Hab Zone,[14] separated from the rest of the city by a stretch of radioactive wasteland called Nuke Alley and linked to the main city by a bridge. The population remained at around 400 million from 2104 until 2134."

TordelBack

An insane project!  Excellent! 

If I were you, I'd start in the middle and work back and forward from there.  Bob's Law (Prog 355; Casefiles 7) is your best starting place - at least give you something to work from.  I might direct you to David's DreddAlert blog, which lists locations prog-by-prog up to the Judge Child (currently), and of course John Caliber's extraordinary City of Dredd, available as PDF or POD, and now on its 3rd edition. 

You know of course that there isn't remotely enough geographical material let alone consistency to flesh out the city, and you'll have to face the awful truth that MC-1 has an incredibly low population density, but once you accept this and embrace your imagination, you'll have a grand time.

Frank

Quote from: ZenArcade on 22 February, 2014, 09:08:35 AM
I would ideally like to produce 3 timelines maps ( for 2090, 2120 and 2135).

Remember that the statues of Liberty and Judgement make their way from the shores of the Hudson River to the West wall of the city in the period between those first two dates. Both are destroyed and rebuilt during that same interval, but I suppose they'd show no change, ultimately ending up exactly how and where they started.

mimikeke

probably SUPER inaccurate but I just mocked up something based on the wiki description.  Red being the beginning of MC1, Green (including red and gray area) being the height of the population, and Gray being after the Apoc War.  I haven't gotten to Day of Chaos yet, so someone will have to fill in that info.

Colin YNWA

Wow. Good luck with this a great undertaking, a mighty task and I for one can't wait to see the results.. though of course it wil tKe some time. As for resources as I recall there was some useful stuff in the old Games Workshop RPG. I alas no longer own this but sure someone here will be able to confirm one way or another.

ZenArcade

Good stuff so far, keep the ideas coming, the low pop density is a problem but I've a few ideas on that in terms of industrial zones, food (hydroponics, vertical farms etc), restricted areas, possible highly radioactive zones, rich enclaves , 6 - 13 billion clicks of road, physical relief inhibitors etc.  Any other ideas on pop density are most welcome.....I envisage a big info share to really make this work. Z

Mabs

Always great to see an idea take shape!  :D

Huge kudos to ZenArcade and mimikeke for taking things forward,  while my knowledge and time may be limited  I will still try and assist you guys wherever and whenever I can.

Good luck!  :thumbsup:
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

ZenArcade

The initial rough general map'll take a few days. Mimikeke can take a look at it, suggest changes. Then we'll tidy it up (open it for critique). After that a series of zoom ins to areas of particular interest ie sector 1, west wall, a dust zone/agri zone and an ordinary sector etc. Right, let the research begin. Z :o

mimikeke

That City of Dredd book looks like a big labor of love @.@ pretty amazing.

Steve Green

Yeah, that's an insane amount of work from John Caliber, and probably the best reference.

Best of luck with the map Zenarcade!

ZenArcade

My first step: Population density per square kilometre.
Mimikeke's shaded relief map looks a fairly good area measure of the meg in say 2120. This would comprise in whole or part 14 states and a part of Canada set out as follows:

Canadian area - 15,000 sq km
10% of Maine - 3,500 sq km
90% of Vermont - 21,000 sq km
New Hampshire - 24,200 sq km
Rhode island - 4,000 sq km
Connecticut - 14,300 sq km
Massachusetts - 27,300 sq km
75 % of New York - 100,000 sq km
New Jersey - 22,500 sq km
66% of Pennsylvania - 80,000 sq km
Delaware - 6,400 sq km
Maryland - 32,000 sq km
33% of West Virginia  - 20,000 sq km
90% of Virginia - 100,000 sq km
90 % of North Carolina - 127,000 sq km

Divide this by the generally given population figure of 400,000,000 gets us about 651 cits per sq km.
Please feel free to check the maths here. Z

ZenArcade

Second step: Sectors - average size sq km and average pop density.

614700 sq km total Meg area 2120 divided by 300 sectors gives 2049 sq km per Sector.
400,000,000 total Meg population 2120 divided by 300 sectors gives 1,330,000 cits per Sector.

Average Citi block population of 50,000 - 100,000 gives us between 13 - 27 blocks per Sector.
Taking the latter figure that gives us 1 Citi block per 76 sq km. If I'm right this is a square area about 7 clicks or so per side. Hmmm the density is pretty low.

Never mind....good basal figures to begin with.  ;) Z

Bat King

I'd have suggested you check ot City of Deredd. An epic bit resource material. i used it when plotting RPGs on Play Dredd & if I do short stories set in the Big Meg.

I've alerted John to your quest.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

ZenArcade

Bat King, many thanks, it looks as though we'll have to be Alexandrian in order to boost pop per sq km up to 6500 per sq km or there abouts. Any given sector will have to be approx 80-90% non population infrastructure (which is doable) given different areas of the meg are going to have higher pop densities than others ie east and central sectors. Other sectors will be possibly industrial, agricultural, leisure etc. Z