Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

I just wanted to post this artist's impression of OGLE-2016-BLG-1195Lb, an icy, Earth-sized planet orbiting something so small that it might not even be a star some 13,000 light years away.

I was reading about this and decided to post because it's boring. When I think about how little was known when I was growing up and how big an impression the years and decades apart images and discoveries by Mariner, Viking and Voyager were, those stunning first images of the surface of Mars, of mighty Jupiter, majestic Saturn and magnificent Neptune and Uranus, of a hellish Venus - I remember how exciting those images and discoveries were to me. We didn't even know if there were other planets out there, beyond the unimaginable gulfs, orbiting other stars. It seemed likely but how could we ever know for sure? Short of building a USS Enterprise or digging up a Stargate it seemed we could never know.

Now we seem to discover a new planet every day and they have become as numerous and commonplace as the pebbles beneath our feet. I just thought it was worth saying that Science is Drokking Fantastic Because OGLE-2016-BLG-1195Lb is boring.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 27 April, 2017, 09:47:44 AM
Now we seem to discover a new planet every day and they have become as numerous and commonplace as the pebbles beneath our feet. I just thought it was worth saying that Science is Drokking Fantastic Because OGLE-2016-BLG-1195Lb is boring.
First exo-planet discovered in 1988, over three and a half thousand discovered since then...

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 13 May, 2017, 03:46:00 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 27 April, 2017, 09:47:44 AM
First exo-planet discovered in 1988, over three and a half thousand discovered since then...

Weird, i never even heard of an exoplanet being discovered till a few years ago. Don't know how i missed that; it truly is mind blowing to know that science fiction is steadily becoming reality
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

I think the first one was an inferred discovery, something to do with mathematics and all stuff like that. I think it was only confirmed later, in the early to mid 90s, when other exoplanets were discovered using similar methods.

We really need a warp drive so we can go and have a proper butcher's at these things!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 14 May, 2017, 08:48:24 PM
I think the first one was an inferred discovery, something to do with mathematics and all stuff like that. I think it was only confirmed later, in the early to mid 90s, when other exoplanets were discovered using similar methods.

We really need a warp drive so we can go and have a proper butcher's at these things!

Bags not me on the one that rains liquid glass sideways.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Bagsie the Planet of the Nymphomaniacs!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

The Legendary Shark

Pfa. Chiromancers have been doing that for centuries...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Proudhuff

Apparently the rocket into the sun will be fine as they are sending it at night. :-X
DDT did a job on me

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Remarkable Jupiter fly-by animation. Link originally cribbed from MOLCH-R's FB feed.

Wow.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

Me neither, nor that it was so close to blowing up - no wonder Tharg's come here!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]