Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One - TV show announced!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 May, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABCwarBOT

It's good to have some more news.   As for Walter I don't have a problem with him being in the show as long as he isn't too much comedy relief.  Don't forget 2000AD was full of humour.

MattJW

Agreed. Surely the most satisfying outcome is if the producers can combine ALL elements of the strip. Grim and gritty, satire, futuristic action and tech.. AND barmy humour!

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: MattJW on 02 August, 2018, 12:01:34 AM
Agreed. Surely the most satisfying outcome is if the producers can combine ALL elements of the strip. Grim and gritty, satire, futuristic action and tech.. AND barmy humour!

Agree with that too.   I always thought Walter was a bit satirical.   I mean where else would you get a robot who has a Jonathan Ross speech impediment. :)

sheridan

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 04 August, 2018, 07:54:17 AM

Agree with that too.   I always thought Walter was a bit satirical.   I mean where else would you get a robot who has a Jonathan Ross speech impediment. :)

The term is rhotacism (or de-rhotacism).

Richard

I have no problem with humour, and I agree that there should be humour. I just don't want zany wacky humour. I don't think enough people will want to watch that for the show to be a success.

wedgeski

When I started re-reading Dredd in the Case Files a couple of years ago, I found Walter to be one of the most embarrassing artifacts of Dredd's past. If it was satire, it passed me by. Robohunter was much more successful in that regard. So no Walter, please, but since the new series isn't really focused on Dredd per-se, I doubt we'll see him.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: sheridan on 04 August, 2018, 01:36:20 PM
Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 04 August, 2018, 07:54:17 AM

The term is rhotacism (or de-rhotacism).

I thought it was Wossism but nice to know it has a real term.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: Richard on 04 August, 2018, 02:01:31 PM
I have no problem with humour, and I agree that there should be humour. I just don't want zany wacky humour. I don't think enough people will want to watch that for the show to be a success.

I don't think anybody wants that either.   Just some subtle humour and satire every now and then.   We don't want something like that awful web cartoon recently {which name evades me}

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: wedgeski on 04 August, 2018, 06:22:07 PM
When I started re-reading Dredd in the Case Files a couple of years ago, I found Walter to be one of the most embarrassing artifacts of Dredd's past. If it was satire, it passed me by. Robohunter was much more successful in that regard. So no Walter, please, but since the new series isn't really focused on Dredd per-se, I doubt we'll see him.

Agree about Robohunter but Walter doesn't have to be done in some ott way.   I'd like to see Robohunter in the series and Robusters.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Robots are very expensive to produce for TV shows hence most of them ala Westworld look human. The Budget I assume for Mega-City One will be quite high anyway so the Producers will want to look for ways of cutting costs and no robots, no flying cars is an excellent way to trim your expense sheet. Dredd the Movie was fairly parred down set mostly in Peach Trees City Block, so perhaps the show's runners will employ something similar here with Dredd or Wally Squad Judges engaging crim scum in some dodgy dive in MC 1.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Steve Green

Flying cars are one of the easiest things to do.

If you're adding background city blocks then the hard work is done.

I don't think the odd robot would kill the budget either - again it's at the end of the easier things to add in.
It's not like an animal where you've got a living thing to mimic.

It's not like the city is wall-to-wall robots, compared to Robo-hunter.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: Steve Green on 05 August, 2018, 12:32:57 PM

I don't think the odd robot would kill the budget either - again it's at the end of the easier things to add in.

I thought with animation etc. the Bill rolls upwards, but maybe I'm thinking too old school. I've seen great effects with Cinema 4 and Modo but I'm sure they'll be using 3D Max and others, and with all that experience producing Computer Games I've no doubt the sfx will be >ahem< Mega.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Steve Green

It all costs, but at the level of adding CGI, robots are at the cheaper end.

E.g. the facial animation can be more basic, or it could even be a puppet/person in a suit.

I've no idea if they plan to set up their own facility or outsource it - A friend of mine worked on the Captain Scarlet reboot last decade, and DNeg/Passion Pictures set up a studio just to do that.

Even with that expertise, their pipeline wasn't suited for fully animated CGI series, and they ended up bringing in the late Ron Thornton to get it back on track.

GrudgeJohnDeed

Quote from: Steve Green on 05 August, 2018, 01:16:46 PM
It all costs, but at the level of adding CGI, robots are at the cheaper end.

E.g. the facial animation can be more basic, or it could even be a puppet/person in a suit.

Yeah I bet animation is easier with a robot, you don't have to think about musculature or nailing human realism as they move, and there'd be much less need for  unnecessary movement compared to an animal like when idling for example. They're also probably quicker to model and get to look right too, often having much more simple geometry compared to organic things, and being made of materials that reflect light in easier-to-reproduce-convincingly fashions

dweezil2

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 05 August, 2018, 12:51:06 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 05 August, 2018, 12:32:57 PM

I thought with animation etc. the Bill rolls upwards, but maybe I'm thinking too old school. I've seen great effects with Cinema 4 and Modo but I'm sure they'll be using 3D Max and others, and with all that experience producing Computer Games I've no doubt the sfx will be >ahem< Mega.

The BSG reboot looked pretty good, and still does, and that was utilising technology from over ten years ago, so the Dredd TV show should look even better.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo