Main Menu

Dredd vs Zombies on iPhone/iPad

Started by pauljholden, 01 December, 2011, 03:11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Quite addicted to this. It's very repetitive, but I don't mind for some reason. Bit annoying that 90% of the times I die it's the fault of the controls rather than my playing, but then that's the case with a lot of iPhone games!

I've suggested it to Kotaku for inclusion in their 'App of the day' feature (which is what I rely on to find out about the best iPhone games), suggest others do the same. It deserves to do well.

Pete Wells

Just completed all the levels and there's an ace joke at the end of Resyk level 10, I won't spoil it though...

As radiator said, it is quite repetitive but incredibly addictive. It's fun going back to the earlier levels with your shithot lawgiver and blowing everything away without even breaking into a sweat, just watch those commendations rack up!

I hope we get an Angry Birds level of freebies and addons for this...

radiator

Yep, turns out that this is a fantastic little score attack game! The more you play, the more addictive it gets.

I'm just starting to realise that each level is constructed like a puzzle. You have to rack up the kills to get the magic 20x combo, the badges acting as breadcrumbs that allow you to keep you combo meter topped up between murder sprees, all the while you have to keep an eye on your ammo and also avoid being wounded, as this will kill your combo.

This really does deserve to be a big hit. It's one of the finest iOS games Ive played (and I've played A LOT). They've done Dredd proud.

James Stacey

Downloaded it via the QR code when I saw the ad in the prog (first time I've actually used a QR for more than just casual interest)
Great little shooter and a lot of fun. Would have been nice to see a little more artwork in there, maybe as cut scenes, but maybe that's just me. I've only played the first few levels but even that made me late for work this morning. Top job Rebellion, hope this is the first of many.

Richmond Clements

So what's the trick to getting three stars on a level?
I've got three on a few but have no idea how or why. Level 2 for example, I can't seem to get past 2 stars on that one no matter what I do...

Bat King

Quote from: Bat King on other thread

Missing out - I'm on Android.

Slightly peeved but I do understand exclusivity and such in business.  Might not have rushed out to buy a console game or PC game day it was out but temptation would have been too much to have ignored getting one on my phone.

Not going to rush out and buy an iPhone just to play a Dredd game either.

Deeply jealous... I don't even have a close friend with an iPhone I could borrow... lol

And currently the game I'm running on Play Dredd... It has Zombies, Ghouls, Vampire Judges and alternate dimensions... So Zombie killing is fine by me.

Feel a bit sorry for Molch-R as the Twitterdroid responded really quickly to my 'Android?' question.

It is a precarious relationship when people give loyalty to a profit making company. I'm still happy with the 2000AD 'brand'.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

radiator

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 05 December, 2011, 08:09:06 PMSo what's the trick to getting three stars on a level?
I've got three on a few but have no idea how or why. Level 2 for example, I can't seem to get past 2 stars on that one no matter what I do...

As I said above, it's all about sustaining a combo. The dredd badge in the top-left relates to your score. The more zombies you kill in a row, the higher your point multiplier gets. It goes in stages - x5, x10 and x20. But if you get wounded or wait too long between kills, the little bar under the badge trickles down and your combo will revert to zero.

The only way to get a 'commendation' ranking is to sustain a 20x multiplier for the whole level - this means using the judge badge pickups - which boost your combo meter- strategically.

Does that make any kind of sense?

Once you nail the system and get into the rhythm of the game, it gets a hell of a lot more satisfying.

Beeks

I'm getting three stars regularly now

Interesting points radiator and explains alot..thanks

I've generally got three stars by rushing through the level and making sure I'm not hit..even once
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Radbacker

nice little distraction but like all things on my I-Phone i've spent 5 minutes on it and cant see myself going back (screw touch pad i need a stick toplay a game), is nice to see a DRedd game though.

CU Radbacker

Batman's Superior Cousin

I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Richmond Clements

QuoteDoes that make any kind of sense?

It does indeed! Cheers!

James Stacey

People waiting for an android version should man up and get a proper phone.

(Dons flameproof Cagoule and sits back)

Goaty

Quote from: James Stacey on 06 December, 2011, 09:55:24 AM

:D :D :D :D :D

Spaceghost

Quote from: James Stacey on 06 December, 2011, 09:55:24 AM

I've got a proper phone, a Blackberry. When I want an overpriced plaything loaded with banal distractions to amuse over-grown children I'll buy an iphone.  :P
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Bat King on 05 December, 2011, 08:21:33 PMIt is a precarious relationship when people give loyalty to a profit making company.
Eh? There are all kinds of things that could infer, so what do you mean by that?

Quote from: Lee Bates on 06 December, 2011, 11:20:23 AMWhen I want an overpriced plaything loaded with banal distractions to amuse over-grown children
Like the Dredd game you want to play?

Funny to see so many Android users up in arms about this kind of thing, though. From devs I'm in touch with, Android is still a big risk, unless you've some already-popular IP or the resources to do a quick 'n' dirty port. In the main, Droid users still aren't willing to pay for apps and games nearly as much as iOS users are. (And it's not like iOS is without its own piracy problems.) People mistake straightforward business decisions for some other kind of bias, but that's reading too much between the lines. There's little difference here in Rebellion supporting iOS and not Android than it supporting the PC and not the Mac, say.